impact wrenches v spanner (1 Viewer)

joebag

Reaction score
im open to new products and devices that improve are game,im also against health and safety scaremongering that creates profit on something that we dont need,made this comment in a thread and wondering blokes opinions on impact wrench application,love em or hate em they accurately set torque and the arguements against them by nasc for me have another meaning behind them!

"id put it to the hse like this,if you can set a wrenches capacity to 50nm,every fitting is then literally tested to 50nm,then put up a scaffold by spanner and test however many you have to with a torque wrench,which is going to be more accurate,its nonsensical!

the detail of all the failure rates and how they fail dont really come into it,if a fiitting snaps you know about it straight away and rectify it,i understand their has to be in depth detail to go into it,but i also know from experience making an argumented point look foolish and not giving it credence can dismiss the point straight away,

i would say once their is enough blokes using these,ignore what they say as a spanner is far less accurate,their is no argument against that,its fact!"

Is NASC trying to get these banned because it makes the tube go up as quick as system,my own personal opinion is that nasc members have a vested interest in getting rid of tube and bringing in system gear that they have interests shares in,,,,not every member and i know some great blokes involved with NASC,but still that is mine and quite a few blokes i know opinion!

Great points joe. Nasc conspiracy???.. never:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

As you know Joe I love the IW's and now wouldn't work without one. The NASC isn't banning anything either, this has also been much discussed on the other thread.

theirs blokes with far more brain power than me going into metalurgical properties and plasticity of steel,well thats all well and good but sometimes we shouldnt explain ourselves,sometimes to ignore ridiculous claims by whoever and carry on is what changes things

,,,,ive said it before and will say it again in France when they put speed cameras up as a Nation overnight they cut the majority down
,,,,treat certain measures with the ridicule they deserve and dont get wrapped in a arguement with someone whos money will win through,

if its a idiotic claim tell the world,the court of public opinion changes more things than anything else !

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

Plans to ban them aom ? ;)

Or, buy a gauge and prove em wrong.;)

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

Plans to ban them aom ?

No plans until after the current experiment is complete.

or not feel you have to prove everything in this life as common sense should prevail,if we keep going down this path we are just becoming redundant

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

no plans till after the current experiment,sounds worrying ;)

Not really, well I hope not. I just believe the spanner hands are torquing the fittings higher than the gun men but I just have to prove it. I have a digital meter coming my way but it will be next week so will just have to be patient for now.

Not really, well I hope not. I just believe the spanner hands are torquing the fittings higher than the gun men but I just have to prove it. I have a digital meter coming my way but it will be next week so will just have to be patient for now.

i dont be telling the swing over boys youll be testing there fitting s as then they will no and might not give you a true idea saying that its not like they know what is 50kn tight lol

I was thinking about testing a few jobs already up to see if there were any great difference's between any of the fittings to check if you could spot which were installed using a swing over and which used the IW. Maybe then pull it out on a job we are erecting before going into the lab I mean the yard for further tests and a bit of in-house training.;)

what about designing a fitting incorporating a torque gauge,like a pull test,surely its easier to test the bolt tension than the nut tightening,,,,if this goes on dragons den im having 50%!

If that goes on dragons Den we can all retire.:eek:

Top Bottom