Impact Wrench (1 Viewer)

Mr C

Reaction score
What do users think?
Does your company if a national allow you to use them?
I ask because I have heard rumours that they will ban them until full risk assessments have found them to be safe.

Unconfirmed whispers say that the NASC are after a ban, but if you don't work for a NASC member it shouldn't matter.
It's not the end of the world if you have to change your RAMS and don't forget the phrase "Nut running" it is essential you use that.

hertel have banned them. due to the fact there is no torque control.

i never said they where, they had a couple of presco doubles fail on one of their sites after being done up with an IW, so now they have banned them. and they have banned presco doubles aswell.

Sorry about that Chris it came out wrong.
Do you have any more info about this?

not really mate, we had a tool box talk a few weeks backs the only info given to us was that IW's where no longer allowed on any hertel job due to the fact there is no torque control and some of the better ones can go upto double the recommened torque for a fitting. They had banned presco load bearing fittings a few years back on the site where i work but not on all sites. They have now though. I don't think it was any thing serious just that the bolts snapped as they were being done up.

I am a big fan of the IW's and have heard nothing of any ban but as the whispers begin to grow I would suspect a guidance note of some kind to be produced shortly. No point in boring you all with the usual swing over has no torque control or the fact you can control torque with the touch of a trigger but lets hope they talk to the manufacturers of these machines who could up a far better defence than I could.

never used them, i can see the benefits when your on price or a nice meaty job, but seen as though i been on a power station for last twelve years not had any call for one.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

You can snap a presco with a spanner

very true, but the thing is with a lot of these big companies, their safety officers might not be scaffolders and can't see beyond what is written in a book.

I got a nasty blood blister off my spanner today, does that mean they should be banned too?

What is this impact business? I taught it was a wind up at first; does scaffs nowadays really use such a tool?

there are loads of threads about this subject on here just go to the search button to find them all,
however, like most new things - once the seed is planted,let it grow -till some fucuker comes and stands on the thing, lots of guys on here either havent seen them in use of even heard of them before ,but in my area they're more and more common place as people wise up to the benifits -which with the new Hiltis rental deals now outway the cost of buying one ,

i was chatting to a guy who works for a large company in Basingstoke which is a NASC member with over 80 spanners turning aday,and loads of the guys are using them now,due mainly to the Hilti rental deal,- we now have 6 makitas which i swear by but unfortunatley has a factory set torque value unlike the hiltis which can change -so the old 50KN argument on paper really has no teeth so to speak. maybe as the maks wear out i'll reinvest in new hiltis but to be honest the maks are weather and bomb proof and other than new brushes which cost less than a £5 have been excellent and really helped with productivity-
but i will say i can tighten a bolt ove 50kn with my spanner much easier than doing it with a IW and since owening them i wouldn't even like to guess how many fittings we've done up with them but proberbly be in excess of 200,000 and how many fialures have we had with them ?.....NONE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recieved the 'Internal Memo' on Friday, which contained a Safety alert 2012/01 from Mace????????? which showed a T bolt end sheared off a drop forged double.

The fitting looked like one of those grainy carbon coloured foreign sh1te ones, and apparently had been wrapped with a IW.

As per leaflet, Actions......Check every fitting wrapped with a IW Feck off daft Cents.

IW not to be used for Tightening Fittings, till conclusion and publication of joint investigation by HSE and NASC,:-0 yawn yawn yawn, still can use them for striking though.

Surely if the fittings are being supplied by Mace products or whoever, they should go to their source supplier first, instead of blaming the IW straight away.

I have had fittings that have snapped and fell to bits years ago, gave them to management for action, and years down the line that piece of evidence is still a paperweight.

Top Bottom