Impact wrench banning by the NASC? (1 Viewer)

MRscaff

Reaction score
We have just had a internal memorandum saying that the NASC are advising there members to ban the use of impact wrenches due to over tightening causing fitting to sprain and shearing.
I have been in the game for over 23yrs and i have been using my impact wrench for the last 6 months and i must say what a difference it has made. I no longer have aching joints and has reduced the risk of repetitive strain injury.

I find it very strange that the NASC have come up with this statement as i have never come across a fitting that has been over tightened to the point it has damaged the fitting using the wrench. But i have worked for other companys that have bought poor quality fittings such as some dropped forged fittings that the T at the back of the bolt use to cross if you were not careful and would appear to be tight but would come lose with vibration on the tube, also they had poor quality thread squeaking like mad when doing them up.

I know there is question upon torque values, but the the same can be said when using a swing over.
Can anybody throw some light on this?.

Not sure about the Impact Wrench , but i have seen a good few doubles ( dropped forged) that the threads have stripped on the inside of the nut , this can only be down to sub standard material being used , as i dont remember seeing this on any old doubles ever.
We got so many at one time that we now buy pressed steel fittings .
Aom is a big fan as are a few other lads on here of the IW and they where saying that with a little practice you dont over tighten the fittings .
Why dont the NASC invest some time and into getting the toques and noise levels
with the vibration levels on these machines and liaise with a manufacture to produce a purpose made scaffolders IW , instead of just banning them .

I bought one not long ago and think they are a great tool to use, as for the over tightening you get use to how long you need the drill on the nut for to get it write as you do with a spanner, I agree with a purpose made one for our trade though.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?depjnz

FCUK THE NASC - INTERFERING BARTURDS

just wait and see,call me cynical but a few months down the line proberbly the rewrite in 2013 - a new improved version that will be sold under the nasc flag will be on the shelves

Last edited:
Mr Scaff, I must have missed that memorandum and in fact any chat at any of the regional meetings. I am no number cruncher but think there is a general air of panic surrounding these machines and torque values but as you already have noted the swing over is just as likely to be used to over tighten a bolt as any IW I have used, remember the King **** range of tools?

The advertised values of these machines are for laboratory conditions with a maximum nut size of 16mm in the case of the hilti, we as you know use a 21mm nut. It's not rocket science is it, to reduce the torque release the trigger.:idea:

Thanks for your replys,
Aom, it was an internal memo stating what the nasc have said about the dangers of IWs, but if you are part of the nasc maybe you could investigate this claim as I have tryed looking through both the use and nasc sites for more info without success

hi guys,

What is the best impact wrench on the market atm? i know there are a few knocking about. but for battery life weight and ease of use what would be a good one to go for ?

cheers

boooo i do hope not ....there is nothing wrong with them no different than a spanner once you use it with a skill level that scaffolders have

This is the one i use

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC16gcJfg7w&feature=endscreen&NR=1]Torque Gun FLIP - YouTube[/ame]

hi guys,

What is the best impact wrench on the market atm? i know there are a few knocking about. but for battery life weight and ease of use what would be a good one to go for ?

cheers

I've had my hilti siw 14.4 a few months now it has three torque settings and one battery easily lasts half a day. Comes with 2 battery's and charger and takes around 20 min to charge.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replys,
Aom, it was an internal memo stating what the nasc have said about the dangers of IWs, but if you are part of the nasc maybe you could investigate this claim as I have tryed looking through both the use and nasc sites for more info without success

I am a member but have never heard even a whisper about any concerns. Who was the author of the memo and where did he get his information? That may be a quicker solution at shedding a bit of light on the matter.

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

One other thing MrScaff, speak to your salesman of which ever machines you are using and let him put your mind at rest. I know they are just salesmen who will tell you whatever you need to hear but they will look into any claim of not fit for purpose and defend it fairly robustly.

has any 1 got a number for the rental thing with hilti crnt seem to find anything on it at all ?

On their web site and contact the nearest branch to you.

I wouldn't if I was you Marra. You obviously make your own decisions but for me the younger you are you don't really need it. I could be wrong and maybe if you start know it will mean you won't have half the problems later in life but I feel you should have a good number of years twirling before you should use these things.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

i bet some one got a claim in

They could lay the blame on every collapse if they wanted as no one actually torques any job.

Aom- I will ask the question when I return to work Wednesday, I bought my Milwaukee C18IW-32 18 volt 248nm online but I will contact the site for any info they can supply to help.

Didn't realise you bought from the internet, they may still help. I bought one direct from Hilti and they are only too happy to help and will furnish you with any and all information you need to allay any fears.

Fuk impact wrenches.. noisy and heavy.. I'll be keeping my spanner, and won't have any on our site, like to have a laugh while working.. not listening to some **** who thinks he's a mechanic...

On their web site and contact the nearest branch to you.

I wouldn't if I was you Marra. You obviously make your own decisions but for me the younger you are you don't really need it. I could be wrong and maybe if you start know it will mean you won't have half the problems later in life but I feel you should have a good number of years twirling before you should use these things.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

They could lay the blame on every collapse if they wanted as no one actually torques any job.

prevention is better than cure spech for the old athritus lol

Not just that but I still feel we should all be able to turn a spanner before moving on.

Didn't mean to sound like Uncle Albert but if everyone had them it would be a nightmare, one per 3 man squad is ample.

Top Bottom