DSC00261.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC00338.jpg
    DSC00338.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 195
  • chip 2 025.jpg
    chip 2 025.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 173
noticed in picture 4 that the ledger braces are going swivel to swivel , do alot of scaffs do this ? always go double to swivel myself !

Last edited:
noticed in picture 3 that the ledger braces are going swivel to swivel , do alot of scaffs do this ? always go double to swivel myself !

Bracing should really be swivel to swivel on the standard with a transom on doubles underneath the ledger and transom on singles( unless the transom by standard is fixed with band and plate). All the offshore scaffs will know this but i know this is not taught at Erith or Bircham.This is because single couplers are not load bearing.Obviously non boarded lifts bracing can be double to double. This was the beauty of the band and plate as everything connected with load bearing coupler.

is that what they call aberdeens

Bracing should really be swivel to swivel on the standard with a transom on doubles underneath the ledger and transom on singles( unless the transom by standard is fixed with band and plate). All the offshore scaffs will know this but i know this is not taught at Erith or Bircham.This is because single couplers are not load bearing.Obviously non boarded lifts bracing can be double to double. This was the beauty of the band and plate as everything connected with load bearing coupler.

Spot on havespannerwilltravel.
Most of the street scaffolding is not technically correct, however this is negated with physical ties. Anyone who has worked offshore in the UK sector will agree unless things have changed in the last 7 years.
Try telling a street scaffolder hes doing it wrong and all hell will break loose hahaha

Using a transom underneath the ledger on doubles is common practise in New Zealand and one of the reasons for this that its stronger and also we have a lot of minor earth quakes here but for me using a double on the ledger and a swivel just above the kick board on a boarded lift is the correct way and going double to double on a unboarded lift , i just dont understand why scaffs use a swivel at the top of the standard underneath the botttom transom or ledger . Not trying to be smart i just cant see the benefit of going swivel to swivel ?

I see your way of thinking paul.
Strength wise both are exactly the same.I have used both ways myself.

Powerstations

yeah on powerstation they use a aberdeen under the ledge on 2 doubles, and swivel 2 swivels with braces, except for this i have always gone swivels to double, i have done all my courses including advanced at eirth and told its double 2 double, on a none boarded lift, and swivel 2 double on a boarded lift, as its called a ledger braces (bracing the bottom side of the ledge not standard, but like i said worked on a powerstation recently and new regulations say, a swivels is a load bearing fitting so its swivel 2 swivel.

working either way dont bother me no more as i can see advantages either way, and reasons why.

yeah on powerstation they use a aberdeen under the ledge on 2 doubles, and swivel 2 swivels with braces, except for this i have always gone swivels to double, i have done all my courses including advanced at eirth and told its double 2 double, on a none boarded lift, and swivel 2 double on a boarded lift, as its called a ledger braces (bracing the bottom side of the ledge not standard, but like i said worked on a powerstation recently and new regulations say, a swivels is a load bearing fitting so its swivel 2 swivel.

working either way dont bother me no more as i can see advantages either way, and reasons why.
A swivel has been a load bearing fitting for as long as I care to remember!!

agree with using band an plate, but also the mills 90.

what is the load bearing of a mills 90 if used singular and in pairs >?????
We have loads and have been using them for putting excalibur bolts through , was just wondering if any one knows the slip value

ronald brands book quotes 5 tons for failure of a mills double as it rotates under load and bites into the tube however ihave noticed a tendency for it to slip on high yield(lightweight steel)tube suspect its because its a harder steel and wont bite in. anybody else noyiced this?

Top Bottom