Tube Rack

HatterScaff

Reaction score
don't suppose any of you kind gents have a design for a scaffold rack
feckin insurers have pulled us up and I cant prove the loading:nuts:
built the thing out of readyloks thinking that would be strong enough

Mind you, think the chaps have tested it to almost destruction with the overloading :cry:

don't suppose any of you kind gents have a design for a scaffold rack
feckin insurers have pulled us up and I cant prove the loading:nuts:
built the thing out of readyloks thinking that would be strong enough

Mind you, think the chaps have tested it to almost destruction with the overloading :cry:

are you now having to rebuild the the rack??? not fort of giving the mesurments to a designer and aksing him to do the clacs on it?

Readyloks do have loadings or you can do them from scratch...considered as a tube spanning 1.2m.
Unfortunately I think you will struggle to get some calcs for free. They are more complex and therefore time consuming than you may think. Need to consider bracing, stability, loads in standards and the like, not just the transom supporting the tubes.
If it helps I will give you a basic calculation for what each transom can support.

readyloks do have loadings or you can do them from scratch...considered as a tube spanning 1.2m.
Unfortunately i think you will struggle to get some calcs for free. They are more complex and therefore time consuming than you may think. Need to consider bracing, stability, loads in standards and the like, not just the transom supporting the tubes.
If it helps i will give you a basic calculation for what each transom can support.

please marr i would like to know if thats possible

Ok, it depends on the condition and age of the transom but we will assume in good (as new) condition, galvanised complying with BS1139:1982.

Moment capacity of the tube is 1.00 kNm

Taking as simply supported...and a span of 1.25m...

Allowed UDL on tube is: ( 1.00 kNm x 8 ) / 1.25m = 6.4 kN; (derived from M = WL/8)

However, Readylock does have fixed ends and therefore this figure is conservative. Generation indicated their "Readylocks" have a UDL capacity of 707 kg (6.9 kN).

Glad no one checks our racks. We had to take tubes our a few years ago when we were running low and haven't put them back. It's all still standing and has never moved.

Ok, it depends on the condition and age of the transom but we will assume in good (as new) condition, galvanised complying with BS1139:1982.

Moment capacity of the tube is 1.00 kNm

Taking as simply supported...and a span of 1.25m...

Allowed UDL on tube is: ( 1.00 kNm x 8 ) / 1.25m = 6.4 kN; (derived from M = WL/8)

However, Readylock does have fixed ends and therefore this figure is conservative. Generation indicated their "Readylocks" have a UDL capacity of 707 kg (6.9 kN).

ort marra so that makes them pritty much half the loading of say ledgers on doubbles and tansome on doubbles from ledger or are both sides of the ready lock tested for 6.4kn (as in to seperate doubbles) if that makes sence cheers marra

You can assume the double each end will support 6.1 kN giving a total capacity per transom of 12.2 kN based on the slip of the couplers BUT the limiting factor here is not the doubles its the tube transom between them - as my calculation indicates.

Thanks Axsd with your calc i can prove it, but will need to drop an extra standard to support the transom half way
Sh it will need to empty the rack anyway

Top Bottom