Scaffolding the New Zealand way!!

paul

Reaction score
Hi just wanted to tell you all about my experience of the scaffold industry in New Zealand .
First of all i have been in New Zealand for almost two years on a work visa working in the south Island but i had been a Uk scaffolder for twenty four years in bristol as a advanced scaff , when we got the job offer to come to New Zealand we thought it was going to be great but working over here is like going back twenty years in the Uk or even longer maybe .
The reason i say this is because most of the Kiwi scaff's i have come across can not put up tube and clip at all well infact some jobs i have seen over here are real dangerous and i wonder how they are standing up,This is because most do not use ledger bracing at all and all the boards are lapped on top of each other as they do not toe out and very rare you see a toe board , but the worst thing for me is the way they tie into buildings as they use 4mm steel wire coming off the inside standard into a 6mm eye bolt that has gone into the brickwork less than 5cm, but this just my experience and im not saying its all like that but what i have seen is .

Hi and thanks

Hi Paul

It is interesting to see how the rest of the world does scaffolding.

From what I have seen on my travels and the comments by others on this site it looks like the UK is one of the best places for safe access scaffolds.

Shame the prices have dropped for a first class product.

All the best and thanks

Chris Eng :noworry:

has anyone here been to egypt and seen the scaffold they use in cairo , its just timber planks tied together , the inside standard are actually on each floor of the building thru the windows , no fully boarded lifts or handrail just a single plank to work off and as high as 10 or 12 storeys up. think i got some pics somewhere

i have a photo of a scaffold on bali when i was on honeymoon,they even cantilevered with the scabby wood i will try to dig it out and upload it kerplunk springs to mind

Top Bottom