Design Risk Assessment (1 Viewer)

HatterScaff

Reaction score
What exactly is a design risk assessment

I mean is an assessment of the site to determine if a design is required or an assessment of the design:confused:

does anyone have a standard form ?

Hatter..

Niether of those I'm afraid mate.

A Design Risk Assessment is a formal record of the process that every designer should go through as they produce the scaffold design.

The designer should be making assessments of the hazards involved /surrounding/associated with the scaffold they are designing and forming the design in such a way that eliminates the risk associated with each hazard. Where risk can not be eliminated, control measures should be suggested and introduced as part of the design that will control the hazard and reduce the risk to an acceptable level.

The remaining hazards that can not be totally eliminated through effective design are called 'residual hazards'.

This is an extract from BS 5975 which covers the Procedural Control of Temporary Works (including all scaffolding):

"The CDM Regulations require that any designer provides adequate information about any significant risk associated with the design, e.g. a list of residual hazards. There is also a requirement to co-ordinate the work with that of others in order to improve the way in which risks are managed and controlled. This may include the use of suggested construction sequences. For complex schemes it is recommended that the temporary works designer brief the site team on the key elements and hazards identified during the design process."

So in real terms, your designer should be providing evidence that they have done this and the easiest way of doing that is to complete a design risk assessment (DRA) as part of the design documentation they submit.

We do this for every design, the DRA forms part of the design package you receive for every job. It integrates with the drawings so that residual hazards are identified and the control measures we suggest can be implemented.

Some designers use the old SGB note on their drawings for identification of residual hazards, which is fine, but on its own, it doesn't mean that they meet their responsibilities under CDM.

I know you are going to ask if you can have a copy of ours. I'm afraid the answer is a polite 'No'. We have put a lot of time and effort making our DRA the best it can be and Im not prepared to give that away. We had an occurrence recently where a competitor copied our DRA word for word, so sadly I am now more cautious. I hope you understand.

Cheers.
B.

Hatter..

Niether of those I'm afraid mate.

A Design Risk Assessment is a formal record of the process that every designer should go through as they produce the scaffold design.

The designer should be making assessments of the hazards involved /surrounding/associated with the scaffold they are designing and forming the design in such a way that eliminates the risk associated with each hazard. Where risk can not be eliminated, control measures should be suggested and introduced as part of the design that will control the hazard and reduce the risk to an acceptable level.

The remaining hazards that can not be totally eliminated through effective design are called 'residual hazards'.

This is an extract from BS 5975 which covers the Procedural Control of Temporary Works (including all scaffolding):

"The CDM Regulations require that any designer provides adequate information about any significant risk associated with the design, e.g. a list of residual hazards. There is also a requirement to co-ordinate the work with that of others in order to improve the way in which risks are managed and controlled. This may include the use of suggested construction sequences. For complex schemes it is recommended that the temporary works designer brief the site team on the key elements and hazards identified during the design process."

So in real terms, your designer should be providing evidence that they have done this and the easiest way of doing that is to complete a design risk assessment (DRA) as part of the design documentation they submit.

We do this for every design, the DRA forms part of the design package you receive for every job. It integrates with the drawings so that residual hazards are identified and the control measures we suggest can be implemented.

Some designers use the old SGB note on their drawings for identification of residual hazards, which is fine, but on its own, it doesn't mean that they meet their responsibilities under CDM.

I know you are going to ask if you can have a copy of ours. I'm afraid the answer is a polite 'No'. We have put a lot of time and effort making our DRA the best it can be and Im not prepared to give that away. We had an occurrence recently where a competitor copied our DRA word for word, so sadly I am now more cautious. I hope you understand.

Cheers.
B.

The best design risk assessment i have ever seen was done by Ben and its one of the only ones i have seen as well.

Ian

Ben
thank you for the enlightning and very comprehensive explanation, Yes I would love a copy of your DRS but I can understand you wanting to protect your hard work, now i'll just have to use you on our next design job :blink1:

Perfect assessment Ben, disgusting someone nicked your documents...just plain lazy!

Take it as a compliment...

Top Bottom