Provincial Philippines Scaffolding

Reaction score
Consultant Scaffolding Manager AG&P Philippines
Here are some pictures of a timber scaffold nearby. Remember this is in the provinces where the average person survives on about a 1,000 pounds a year.
The timber scaffold will be struck once the blockwork, rendering and external works are complete and used for internal door frames etc.

Attachments

• 2012-05-01 17.38.05.jpg
    2012-05-01 17.38.05.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 2012-05-01 17.39.37.jpg
    2012-05-01 17.39.37.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 2012-05-01 17.39.50.jpg
    2012-05-01 17.39.50.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 2012-05-01 17.40.02.jpg
    2012-05-01 17.40.02.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 99
That Thailand or Newcastle?
The quality of the work looks the same. :D

Seriously though, with Health and Safety over here, it makes you think... in reality we're lucky to have such well enforced HSE laws.
I know i wouldn't fancy much working on that Scaffold... i wonder how many tradesmen there loose their lives at work each day?

would be interesting to know the LTI,s in the Phillippenes scaffolding industry to compare to our industry to see if actually all these regs and H&S is making a hugh differences (obviously it must be!!)

Cape-East are operating a Scaffolding Training Facility in the Philippians---could be a Philippine Scaffolder working near you soon ?...

Dont think they keep a record of LTIs here. These jobs are put up by anyone who can get a days work. There are some bamboo scaffolds here that make the ones in Hong Kong look like state of the art TG20 jobs!Hard hats are worn more on motorbikes than construction sites.
Cape East use their Manila training facility to supply scaffolders to Africa, ME, New Caledonia etc.
I wonder if there are many working in that place we cant mention??
I am not working here just building a house and having the odd water skiing lesson when told to by JG lol

Will you pay a premium for the additional safety on your site HSWT? If so, fair do's, I know the money is low but FFS that is horrendous.

i had a cracking photo from bali on my honeymoon as well :eek:it was made of timber and was cantilevered out at both ends if i remember correctly if i ever find it again i will post it or whatever the feck its called when you get a photo on the forum i did it one night but i was scooped ;)

I was going to include it in my portfolio. Would you sign it for me?:unsure:

Will you pay a premium for the additional safety on your site HSWT? If so, fair do's, I know the money is low but FFS that is horrendous.

I am afraid not AOM. I will already be paying a premium known as skin tax. EG Costs are more because I am a white foreigner!!!
However when the pool is being made I will insist on some red and white bunting so no one falls in (Sorry Essex).

A fair enough system I think and one we should maybe look into ourselves.:idea:

I am afraid not AOM. I will already be paying a premium known as skin tax. EG Costs are more because I am a white foreigner!!!
However when the pool is being made I will insist on some red and white bunting so no one falls in (Sorry Essex).

I think you'll need plane load of british scaffs over to christen this pool when it's finished hswt,be some pool party that one eh;):D

We will be breaking those practices in the provinces soon once everybody is aware of the right scaffold to be used.

We can't judge them though because that's the way it used to be in the provinces but in big construction areas, they do have proper scaffolds however some are using H Frame type scaffold and some are using conventional tube scaffold.

We will be breaking those practices in the provinces soon once everybody is aware of the right scaffold to be used.

We can't judge them though because that's the way it used to be in the provinces but in big construction areas, they do have proper scaffolds however some are using H Frame type scaffold and some are using conventional tube scaffold.

It wont be anytime soon as safety standards are dictated by finance.
Even in Manila and Cebu City safety and scaffolding standards are poor in comparison to many countries. However progress is being made slowly in the big cities and well done to all concerned.
By the way welcome to the forum. Mabuhay!!

Looks exactly like it. Was watching a film the other night cant remember the name but set around Lincoln in the middle ages. They were building a cathedral and had some great examples of timber frame scaffolding and hoists for lifying stone etc.
I have heard they build timber frame houses in the UK these days. We must have gone backwards!!

Top Bottom