Impact Wrench (1 Viewer)

This is exactly the outcome that I was referring to when non-compliance of BS 1139 is practiced...

The moral and legal implications to the Manufacturers are damming to say the least...

SCCR invited the Manufacturers to collaborate in joint consultation to research and develop a fit for purpose Impact Wrench specifically designed for the Scaffolding Industry---we offered secure field testing facilities and technical input, however, although there was initial interest they did not engage in meaningful data gathering---the result was a forgone conclusion ie, covert stress fractures and fatigue, stresses beyond the plastic yield range ( as Alan Reade has already pointed out in a previous post ) and finally insufficient diligence on behalf of the Manufacturers...

The application of Impact Wrenches is not the only per-courser to mechanical failure human error whilst using the swing over spanner is just as culpable...

Excellent well worth expanding...

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

This is exactly the outcome that I was referring to when non-compliance of BS 1139 is practiced...

The moral and legal implications to the Manufacturers are damming to say the least...

SCCR invited the Manufacturers to collaborate in joint consultation to research and develop a fit for purpose Impact Wrench specifically designed for the Scaffolding Industry---we offered secure field testing facilities and technical input, however, although there was initial interest they did not engage in meaningful data gathering---the result was a forgone conclusion ie, covert stress fractures and fatigue, stresses beyond the plastic yield range ( as Alan Reade has already pointed out in a previous post ) and finally insufficient diligence on behalf of the Manufacturers...

The application of Impact Wrenches is not the only per-courser to mechanical failure human error whilst using the swing over spanner is just as culpable...

Excellent well worth expanding...

Garry could do with the last up date you had with them.

Will try again.

The life of the fittings are greatly reduced with the impacts!!

SQ

Stewart

The implications are massive...

As you are aware we the SCCR approached the Manufacturers with a view to collaborate in researching and developing a fit for purpose Impact Wrench---our initial contact was favorable, however, after a series of communiques where facilities were offered and Technical Data pertaining to BS 1139 was submitted communications stopped, which the SCCR found very disappointing, because, it was the view of the SCCR that there was more considerations to be discussed...

In my opinion, the Manufactures have missed out in a real opportunity and by their actions have halted and called into question the progression of developing the Impact Wrench...

There are a multitude of question to be asked and discussed many of which have already been premised on this Forum---the HSQEF Document which I submitted to the Manufacturers on behalf of the SCCR merely outlined these considerations either of them were expanded on...

Stewart, I dont know where this revelation of the attached Failure Document will lead, suffice to say that the HSE, NASC, Insurers and Liability Lawyers will get in on the act...

More importantly how will this component failure be controlled and will these failures be awarded the attention and Investigation they are entitled to ??? corrective and remedial action and control measures...

Garry,
As you say it won't be long before a legal beagle gets in on the act if they get a sniff of an accident occurring where an impact wrench has been involved.

Realistically, if these sort of reports surface with increasing regularity, I can see any no win-no fee parasite making his first question "Was the scaffold erected using an imapact wrench?"

The manufacturers should be more open to dialogue about impact wrenches, applications, suitability, uses etc. They could be missing out on new markets and opportunities. As the SCCR have offered to help with testing etc they would actually have a head start in their research.

Dass

I concur, indeed, the implications of non-compliance are far reaching, furthermore, non-compliance is not only confined to Impact Wrenches it encompasses Human Error whilst using Swing Over Spanners too.

To follow on to the logical conclusion, my Question would be, is there a Scaffold in the Land in compliance ??? if the conclusion is I dont know, how can one Commission and " Tag the Job " as Safe to Use---

I didnt think this was down to impact wrenches!!! I was told it was a weakness in the class A-B double that was used they had a load snap on trawsfynydd and hunterston power station

Garry,
At the risk of looking like I'm making light of this, within 10 years can you see scaffolders using torque wrenches?

An unreasonable HSE inspector wanting to make a name for themselves might conclude on his own justification that the only way to remove doubt that a fitting is tightened correctly is to use a torque wrench

Dass

To satisfy compliance to B S / EN and Manufacturers Recommendations I am quite surprised that some form of Torque Mechanism has not been incorporated into either a Manually Operated Spanner or a Hand Held Powered Impact Wrench. The Manufacturers of the I W recognized ( after consultation with the SCCR ) the importance of including Torque Values in the New Generation Impact Wrench as a Marketing USP...

Put simply if the fitting is out of compliance, is it doing its Job as in frictional stress and is the fitting subject cyclic stress leading to failure and weakening of the molecular structure of the fitting---is the Quality Control of the Imported fittings robust enough to filter out sub standard fittings ???---as I have already said, this is a multi faceted subject...

Garry...

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

baboon

Thanks for the input---until we receive additional information as to the causation we cannot apportion blame.

I hope that the subsequent investigation will identify the cause and the Investigator will share the findings with the Forum Members...

I am not aware of any Data Base established to collate and disseminate such Finding !...

Garry...

Last edited:
Just a thought but maybe SF admin could start a sticky thread where safety alerts, incidents and the like could be posted.
Not for posting pics of bad jobs etc, but for site safety alerts we may come across on sites such as the one at the start of this thread.

Dass

That would be a great thread, to highlight any of the Forum Members Observation---Im sure Admin would oblige give him a shout Dass, Im sure it will have the backing of the Members...

Garry...

Doe's this mean the suspension of I.W.s use with immediate effect until a resolution is found?as garry has stated,i too am surprised no torque setting has been incorperated into the swingbar,doe's anyone know the accumalated stress's of continually exceeding the recommended 50kn?

bigfish

I dont think that the I W will be suspended until it has been proven that the IW was the responsible, HOWEVER, the innuendo will be sufficient to raise a few eye brows in that direction...

The accumulation of fracture stress is esoteric and the accuracy of such Data depends on cycles of use, erratic torque values applied on a cyclic basic, elasticity of the metallic substance the plastic range and the yield optimum level, ect ect---

There is also the question of how many cycles can metals be smelted and re-forged before the integrity of the sub atomic partials are weakened to a state of un serviceable...

Cheap and cheerful fittings are in my view is bad economy and fiscal control as well as a contributor to an Organizations Carbon Foot Print...

So someone broke a fitting with an Impact Drill... those cheap and nasty imported fittings aint no way near as good as their British counterparts.

They are cheap to buy, but also cheaply made = less quality.

Ive actually snapped the bolt on an Indian made 'Presco' fitting before and my wrist is no way near as strong as a drill, lol.

Theres worse things out there in the trade... like letting Geordies loose on a Scaffold - now thats a real recipe for disaster, lol. :D

I would pass more comment on this if I could actually read the fekin thing but the fitting supplier is blaming anything and anyone within a 60 foot radius of his failed fitting rather than standing up and being counted, shocker.

My supplier took full responsibility when an inside board bracket failed at the weld no problem, didn't even investigate the history off the thing and what abuse it had taken since they had supplied it to me, now that's class.

It's the knee jerk reaction before any fault has been found with either fitting or I.W.that perhaps has repercushion's to the man on the spanner,good post by the way garry,what a deep thinker you are,lol

Been using an Impact wrench since 2006 , makita 14v and now the makita lithium 18v and too date I've had nothing like this happen ever , I've used top quality class b's , sgb 3a's , mills , stickys and presco's no issues at all .
To think that I would wave the the white flag at a mace alert is unthinkable what I will do is make sure if I come across any Chinese or Indian fittings use my swingover (common sense) .Thanks hatter for posting.

It's the knee jerk reaction before any fault has been found with either fitting or I.W.that perhaps has repercushion's to the man on the spanner,good post by the way garry,what a deep thinker you are,lol

It's the way of our world now, I have said it many times spread the blame far and wide to take the sting away from you.

That been said I would be very interested in any findings.

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

Been using an Impact wrench since 2006 , makita 14v and now the makita lithium 18v and too date I've had nothing like this happen ever , I've used top quality class b's , sgb 3a's , mills , stickys and presco's no issues at all .
To think that I would wave the the white flag at a mace alert is unthinkable what I will do is make sure if I come across any Chinese or Indian fittings use my swingover (common sense) .Thanks hatter for posting.

I honestly think I would struggle to going back to the swing over, might be time to change this boiler suit for an Armani and just fill in RAMS all day long.:(

It would be interesting to document these failures...

Has anyone got an example of an Investigation ???...

As I recall the Steve Knight Fitting's reputation was decimated by such a failure, perhaps unjustly ???...

Top Bottom