Nta drop in anchors

S

southernpoofter

i tried this thread on the normal forum to little response so thought i'd throw it out again to the desighners instead -Sorry to start yet another tread on the subject of ties but i didnt really want the possible answers getting lost in an old thread also it possibly required more detailed response

whilst looking at a tecspec sheet for a rubber reusable insert for brickwork from Leach's came accross this sentance that confused me a little and then made me ask the forum -so here goes

"The NTA anchor is desighned for use in accordancewith BS5973(1) AND THE NASC TG20:06 Technical Guidance on the use of BS EN12811/1"

is this a really old guidance as i never used TG20:06 ?, would it not have been updated by the introduction of 20:08 which i thought was instead of
BS5973- and therefore NASCs guidance TG4:11 to which i cannot find this type of anchor- although a phrase"when choosing anchors preferance should be given where possible,to anchors which have been awarded an ETA(8) as these will have been exhausively tested blah blah blah"
so the other question is whats an ETA(8)

also noticed on 4:11(6.1) reguarding preliminary/proof testing- as there are no manufacturers load data for the base material (brick) could i just do my own proof test,logging the results and if all test ok procede to use them
many thx for you replys

NASC TG20:06 is incorrect, it never existed. TG20:05 was the first, then it was re-written and updated to TG20:08. They shouldn't even be quoting 5973 anymore really.

You can test your own anchors using the guidance in TG4:11. When testing into brick however, you need to make sure that the arms in contact with the wall are not on the same brick into which the anchor is placed... they need to be into the surrounding bricks. That way you also test the capacity of the motor joint in holding the 'anchored' brick in the wall.

Every day is a school day with you on the forum BMB. I never knew that about the testing I have to be honest, I might start reading some of the guidance one of these days.:embarrest:

A bit tougher to achieve on blockwork and rendered surfaces but it makes sense when you think about it.

Ben - thx for the advise, will test to required+1.25% as per 4:11 and just add the report to the final fixing pull test,will just have to inset a small bit about the proof testing of the inserts in the method statement of the general fixing of the ties.

Alister- theres a bit in there about rendered walls lolo,stop polishing the golf clubs and put the reading glasses on

To be honest SP I have seen the requirement to drill a bigger hole in rendered applications and believe it or not I have also sought manufacturers guidance when installing the ties we use and it bears little resemblance to the guidance.

Hence the reason I just stick to cleaning the clubs.:cool:

lolol sounds like ur blagging it Al and trying to find an excuse to get the big berthas dirty again lol

Top Bottom