Working in the rain? (1 Viewer)

Rev up!!

Reaction score
Alright lads and lasses, cuz u got girl scaffs aswell u know. yh as i was sayin i really like this forum im predicting by the end of the year nearly every scaff in the country will acknowledge this long awaited effort from the admin guys. good going guyz smashin its needed believe. I have a question for anyone wid some inside company info. The weather outside now is superb my car comp reads 21*c if thats right then were better off than the greeks,cyprians,etc. but what i wanna say is when it starts rainin again cuz it most definately wil,l r we as scaffs supposed to work in it by law? any feedback however small appreciated.

super scaff from midlands

I was always led to believe that you should "seek local shelter" then maybe get back out when the rain wears off. If it is in for the day then you get "cabined" up on your rate , minus your bonus. If you have to work in it, a good gaffer would set you a task, complete the task then off you go... A lot of companies don't like the "job n knock" senario as there is potential for accidents when scaffs are rushing to get the job done and out of the rain..

presco doubles are my favourite

got ya mate. most lads ive worked with hate workin in the rain and for the most part hate there gaffers too. most complaints are if i work in it ill catch a cold, then time off to recover from it. resulting in the company falling behind on production. i say if its raining all day half one sold be knock off time full pay.? bit of a grey area for me.

I don't mind doing a bit in the rain, so long as it's not hours on end. I suppose everyone is different. A lot of lads i've worked with would sooner be cabined up and start quoting some obscure euro law which says their skin isn't water proof etc. etc. Again, sometimes it depends what site you are on and who you are working for. I tend to go with the majority on the day. After all, nobody wants to be the odd one out, but i wouldn't class myself as one of the moaners. Boo-hoo, i'll get man flu...LOL.

lol yeah your spot on there. Depends who ur with and who we work for. but im sure if i had an accident workin on scaffoldin in rain the insurance will not pay out.

Yeah, good point mate... shouldn't be our decision, should be some form of working rule regarding working in the rain, from a safety point of view and also from an insurance stance. There probably is .haha..

This extract is taken from the Work At Height Regulations 2005

(3) Every employer shall ensure that work at height is carried out only when the weather conditions do not jeopardise the health or safety of persons involved in the work.

I know this Regulation, could be a doubled edged sword, especially if you are on a price or just need a couple of hours to finish a job, before checking out of digs and going home. However Mon morn Rain is a blessing for a hour or two:D

we get paid wettime (when it suits the gaffers) but we are on price so most lads push on to get paid as wettime is at flat rate. i wear glasses so workin in the rain is a nightmare

Always worked in the rain, not made of suger!!!!

Alaways been on price. Worked in the snow 1 1/2 foot in an hour. Always done it never get colds etc:nuts::nuts:

hiya lads,what is it with you all,its only water,it wont kill or melt you lol. up in scotland,we dont have the choice,we have to work in the rain regardless!!!

back in the days like , we used to work in some quere old weather, it was that bad we used to pray for rain cos that was an improvement lol ive worked in all sorts , still do if needed

Worked on price/ target in 4 ft of snow in whiterock and vancouver, had to finish the job on 23rd of dec or was getting no money for xmas, couldnt pay maintenance for my son or anything otherwise, pulled my fuc...king plug out i did but i managed to finish the job....even though it was a right abortion at the end lol, pissed now and going to bed but i will post again in this topic, i got loads to say :nuts:

The law states,every man is his own safety man,and if your not comfortable working in any condition you stop the job.Also states you should not work off wet steel.

Intresting thread this one...

There is NO law or H&S Reg in the land that catergorically states you cannot work in the rain...However....as Paddy quoted so well from the WAH Regs it is up to the individual to assess the conditions and action accordingly.

I have also never seen a clause in Public and Employee liabilty insurance that states they will NOT pay out if the incident/accident occured during inclement weather.

As for catching a cold due to working in the rain..lol...as well known the cold is a virus and what do viruses like when spreading...you guessed it...warm atmospheres...so you are more likely to catch the cold when you are sat in the cabin sheltering.

It just needs some common sense really...

OK so it isn't raining but it is baking hot in glorious sunshine. How many of you are supplied with sun lotion for protection against UV rays? I just wondered if this was classed as PPE?

Most sites i've been on have suncream next to the hand wash/barrier cream.....Also, firms i've worked for have been known not to let you roll your sleeves up in bakin weather.. suncream or no suncream... mind you, i think my supervisor was just trying to stamp his authority.

sun lotion is now handed out most places but 25 yrs of so called blity summers aint made my skin fall off yetits the wori of were the nxt 8.50.hr jobs gonna cum from so i can lay on abeach sumwere and burn stil dont look back somone ull be knifing you for ur 8.50 hr job jobs f///cd so just sit at home and pay 4ur own cream ur bettr off

presco doubles are my fave!

Lads thanx 4 the amazin responses. But i think paddy carr has hit the nail on the head there, with that quote from the hse regs book. trust me lads if you have a fall or something in the rain and hurt yourself, or worst case die the misses aint gettin a penny. so lets tighten up fellas. know the law and let the gaffer know too.:cool:

working in the rain

Guys/Girls,
I love it being all soaked though and wet in my pants having a laugh with all my mates but the best bit is all getting naked for the drive home. The look on people faces when you pull up at a set of traffic lights butt naked (and I aint no oil painting I can tell ya!) gives me such a laugh.

Greg

Guys/Girls,
I love it being all soaked though and wet in my pants having a laugh with all my mates but the best bit is all getting naked for the drive home. The look on people faces when you pull up at a set of traffic lights butt naked (and I aint no oil painting I can tell ya!) gives me such a laugh.

Greg

Hey lads, we have our first Gay scaffolder on the site, wahey:laugh:

Top Bottom