Scaffold Design Considerations for Temporary Roofs (1 Viewer)

BMB

Reaction score
Hello all,

We've just finished a series of editorials on our website about the scaffold design considerations for Temporary Roofs. Its in three parts looking at Structural, Buildability and Environmental considerations.

I thought you may find it an interesting read:

Editorial: Scaffold Design Considerations for Temporary Roofs: Part 1

Editorial: Scaffold Design Considerations for Temporary Roofs Part 2

Editorial: Scaffold Design Considerations for Temporary Roofs Part 3

Looks Good Ben

You can take a horse to water... but you can't make it drink!

I really thought this would have kicked of some sort of Q+A session but oh we'll. What's next on the list?

Sent from my Fembot4000 using Tittytalk

Still see plenty of those knocking about South London Phil... lol

As for the next one.. I'm not sure, we just did the temp roof one as it seems topical as we were doing so many...

I'm happy to write about any design subject if people want to read it.. I may do edge protection tho, not very glamorous but could be quite useful for a lot of people.

We do more then our fair share of roofs Ben , mainly Tins , but i have been trying to find a new system but they all seem to be a fortune to buy.
What is the most versatile system in your opinion ?
we have tried the shrink wrap plastic last year on a couple of roofs but found you almost have to build bird cage to stand on , and then there is the problem of putting all that flame on top of the boards :eek:

For large areas I find the easiest to design for is good old x beams (like Apollo). They seem to work well with tune and fitting with out too much bother. Some of the complete systems, like haki, can be a bigger if the Scaff needs to mix them with t+f but if you have the complete system then they do have their advantages.

What do think from the point of view of actually having to buy and then lug all that kit about?

There's nothing wrong with a Tin roof & roofing couplers Phil so long as you can provide a safe means of access for fitting the tin sheets and purlins..

I'm personally not a fan of shrink wrap on roofs simply because people do not fix the patch ties in the correct places, the sheet just gets rolled out from one side to the other and fixed on a ledger or handrail at each eave.. you get a massive concentration of load at these points which you just can prove. You need to be fixing patch ties at 1.0m centres along the beams/purlins.. and the suppliers never tell you that when they are selling it to you!!! Same applies to independents as well... (shrink wrap is a subject for another time..)

As for the system, well.. thats a tough one. Suppose it depends on what stock u have already and what you are used to or like. Personally.. I don't think there is a better product than Layher at the moment. Yes its expensive, but its a quality product, they provide good support in the UK, have lots of additional components and the rest of the product range is better than all the other systems in my opinion.

Thats not saying that UBIX aren't good as well.. but I don't feel they have the same all round package as Layher, since Tony Jenkins left ASP I don't think its been the same. But if someone knows different I'm happy to stand corrected.

HAKI... haki... haki.. I will never understand the reasoning why they made a 750 beam with a double chord. They are very popular, and a few years ago I may have said they were the market leader, but at the moment I don't think they are. They don't have the technical support of Layher or UBIX for starters.

We design temp roofs with all those products, they all have their strengths but if I were buying with my own money.. I'd buy Layher. That may change in the future, but right now, thats my opinion..... and like I said, I'm open minded.

If you ever want any advice, you can always call us, we'll help if we can.

what happen to the days when we used to nail Corrugated iron to timber purlins :)

price of nails have gone through the roof????

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

There's nothing wrong with a Tin roof & roofing couplers Phil so long as you can provide a safe means of access for fitting the tin sheets and purlins..

I'm personally not a fan of shrink wrap on roofs simply because people do not fix the patch ties in the correct places, the sheet just gets rolled out from one side to the other and fixed on a ledger or handrail at each eave.. you get a massive concentration of load at these points which you just can prove. You need to be fixing patch ties at 1.0m centres along the beams/purlins.. and the suppliers never tell you that when they are selling it to you!!! Same applies to independents as well... (shrink wrap is a subject for another time..)

As for the system, well.. thats a tough one. Suppose it depends on what stock u have already and what you are used to or like. Personally.. I don't think there is a better product than Layher at the moment. Yes its expensive, but its a quality product, they provide good support in the UK, have lots of additional components and the rest of the product range is better than all the other systems in my opinion.

Thats not saying that UBIX aren't good as well.. but I don't feel they have the same all round package as Layher, since Tony Jenkins left ASP I don't think its been the same. But if someone knows different I'm happy to stand corrected.

HAKI... haki... haki.. I will never understand the reasoning why they made a 750 beam with a double chord. They are very popular, and a few years ago I may have said they were the market leader, but at the moment I don't think they are. They don't have the technical support of Layher or UBIX for starters.

We design temp roofs with all those products, they all have their strengths but if I were buying with my own money.. I'd buy Layher. That may change in the future, but right now, thats my opinion..... and like I said, I'm open minded.

If you ever want any advice, you can always call us, we'll help if we can.

Morning Ben
I agree with you with regards the tin roof, nothing wrong with them other than people in free space. That is the reason for my move to system roofs, I have tried a few and whilst again I agree with you on the keyhole section on the Haki beam I have found the Haki system very good. Once you have overcome some of the connection details required to overcome the bottom chord detail Haki 750 is an easy system to use.
I have designed and built up 44m clear spanning rolling roofs in the UK using the 750 system I think there are a couple of pictures on my albums on SF. There are other beams cheaper to use than the Haki but are they as well-made. I am using some Alloy beams here at this time and regret buying them as they appear to be full of manufacturing faults. The big up for the Haki 750 system was the development of the rollout system which meant that Scaffolders were always on a working platform and never exposed to a fall.
With regards to Technical Backup, Haki have Ken Barber and Emma Powers. I’ve known Ken for around 30 years and Emma since she joined Haki as Kens assistant. I can say that I know no one with the knowledge and commitment to the subject that Ken has and together with Emma they make a blinding team.
As a company Haki have never let me down not just with technical support but on the occasions where you cock things up on site Haki have always come to help me put it right no fuss no bother.
Sounds a bit like an advert for Haki and its not meant to be, it’s just an honest opinion.
I would also be inclined to agree that ASP as was must be missing Tony.
regards
Alan

You can take a horse to water... but you can't make it drink!

Interesting and imformative thread BMB but your average scaffolder, supervisor or manager doesn't really get much of a say in the design of a temporary roof these days.

It made interesting reading though.

Open the link below.

Dont get much of a say in anything at the mo Swifty.

First class post BMB, added humor from Allan. cost of nails gone thru the roof.:D

I nearly always consult the Scaff. Am I doing it wrong? Lol

i read it ben from a link on twitterand did find it interesting
only ever other than tins used an asp roof hired in from debroahs
a real disaster in support only a cursory training session the left to get on with it .... so would not recommend them
would love to try a rolling roof looks the way forward

i read it ben from a link on twitterand did find it interesting
only ever other than tins used an asp roof hired in from debroahs
a real disaster in support only a cursory training session the left to get on with it .... so would not recommend them
would love to try a rolling roof looks the way forward

Talk to Haki very good at the rolling system

Top Bottom