work in canada (1 Viewer)

the tank

Reaction score
Hi there, Im an Irish Scaffolder and i have a few questions about immigrating to Canada with my wife and two children...Is the Irish Scaffolding ticket recognized over there or do i have to undertake a course when i get there?? Does anybody know what the wages are roughly in Alberta or B.C. and possibly the name of a scaffolding company!!?

Hi there, Im an Irish Scaffolder and i have a few questions about immigrating to Canada with my wife and two children...Is the Irish Scaffolding ticket recognized over there or do i have to undertake a course when i get there?? Does anybody know what the wages are roughly in Alberta or B.C. and possibly the name of a scaffolding company!!?

About 38 ish Canadian dollars per hr including all health benefits and pension etc. If you work in Alberta way out in the sticks you would qualify for LOA Living out allowance. This varies vastly depending on where you are and who you are working for. Irish ticket not recognized anywhere but Ireland I'm afraid.

Your Irish cscs ticket is accepted in the unions over here.

when looking for numbers for jobs abroad i generally look fdor the countrys yellow pages and then take it from there but ive got to admit it yours does seem a hell of a lot easier,just type in a couple of words and hey prestro i like yer style you lazy cant ;)

You will get just short of $40 an hour, out of that $10 is taken out for medical, pension, in Alberta you will get $3,500 a week in the camps, all lodge and food payed... no UK cards recognised there though

You will get just short of $40 an hour, out of that $10 is taken out for medical, pension, in Alberta you will get $3,500 a week in the camps, all lodge and food payed... no UK cards recognised there though

How would you go about getting a Canadian card could u convert ur uk one or is it an nvq with a load of paper work that takes years or just a two day course like the Aussies. Enlighten us ;-)

when I came over I had adv card, scaff supv card, adv inspection card, 5 day IOSH.. means nothing here, I had to do a full time 6 week scaffold course, its now an 11 week course, this will be Canada wide very shortly. They use our scaffold offshore, on the streets its system and the refineries tube and wedge, similar to tube and fit but you have to get a grasp of it, because onshore its ali tube they stick a lot of bracing in jobs aswell....also the scaffolders arent a recognised trade really so its difficult getting a work visa, took us nearly 2 years to get here. unions are strong and for most work you will need to join. so basically you have to cover an 11 week traing stint, this covers scaffolding, confined space, fall arrest, cherry picker, scissor lift, rigging, fork lift, very intense training, not like the UK, you pass or fail simple as that. this sounds like I'm putting the dampers on moving here,,,,, but if people really want it they will do it.. any more help needed mate fire away...

when I came over I had adv card, scaff supv card, adv inspection card, 5 day IOSH.. means nothing here, I had to do a full time 6 week scaffold course, its now an 11 week course, this will be Canada wide very shortly. They use our scaffold offshore, on the streets its system and the refineries tube and wedge, similar to tube and fit but you have to get a grasp of it, because onshore its ali tube they stick a lot of bracing in jobs aswell....also the scaffolders arent a recognised trade really so its difficult getting a work visa, took us nearly 2 years to get here. unions are strong and for most work you will need to join. so basically you have to cover an 11 week traing stint, this covers scaffolding, confined space, fall arrest, cherry picker, scissor lift, rigging, fork lift, very intense training, not like the UK, you pass or fail simple as that. this sounds like I'm putting the dampers on moving here,,,,, but if people really want it they will do it.. any more help needed mate fire away...

So you would need to book this 11 week course before going looking for work! What are the visa requirements like would u do this on a student visa or do you get enough time on a tourist visa!
Cost wise is it worth doing is there plenty of work around after completion!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi am a scottish chargehand scaffolder from scotland
With over 20 years experience in all system scaffolds, tube and fitting.and tempory roof systems and would love to get out of this **** hole they call britain how do a go about emirrating any sugestions

Hi am a scottish chargehand scaffolder from scotland
With over 20 years experience in all system scaffolds, tube and fitting.and tempory roof systems and would love to get out of this **** hole they call britain how do a go about emirrating any sugestions

for woodsie and kenny, you would need to get the visa 1st, you can't get over as a scaffolder.. thats a fact, not legally anyway, I would do wwhat we did and get in touch with an immigration consultant, they usually give you a free phone call and assess you circumstances, then they can advice you on the best way forward for you. You will need to take a scaffold course to get the Canadian card though, some provinces may take the UK cards, but not in Atlantic canada were we are, theres work here and the money is better than the UK, but its not a cheap place to live.you would also need to join a union otherwise you would have to pay for the course yourself which is around £2,500.. theres loads of visa options to get over , even on a temp work permit while you wait for perminant residency.. I would recommend trying but its difficult and takes about 2 years to gain residency... if your under 35yrs old you can try for a holiday type work permit, best to have a chat with a consultant, they know whats what.... it is however well worth the effort, we have a great life over here, and way better for the kids..

good luck lads..
craig.

ive just got here after receiving my permanent residency and my british advanced card is being honoured in saskatchewan and i know its recognised in Alberta so i received journeyman status, i start work in the mines on monday for $40 an hour living on a camp.
But its not easy getting a visa it took me about 18 month and that was being sponsored by my partner who is a canadian citizen

ive just got here after receiving my permanent residency and my british advanced card is being honoured in saskatchewan and i know its recognised in Alberta so i received journeyman status, i start work in the mines on monday for $40 an hour living on a camp.
But its not easy getting a visa it took me about 18 month and that was being sponsored by my partner who is a canadian citizen

Well done mate, over in Atlantic canada you do need this card, I've got all my CISRS advanced cards and they don't reccognise them, although I did get journeyman status with the union. Good luck in the camp mate, not for me, but the monies good, its steady, so you defo won't be pulling your bollox out, you will be using wedge clamps, set out nowt like we use in the UK, but its simple enough, but if you never used them, you'll need to pick it up 1st,

Thanks for that basic info mate, but theres certain areas were the wedges go the " wrong way round." ie . triple box clamp, heavy duty ramps. load carrying tube, you really have to spend some time with someone who knows the score with the wedges, good fittings though.. and different regs out here you gotta relearn..

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 AM ----------

anyone with no experience of the wedge clamp, will defo need to get some training before starting work, don't forget as a journeyman you will be with maybe 2 apprentices, you defo will have no idea with the wedge and will look a right ****..lol.. ie. on all working lifts the wedges are check clamped... its not rocket science but if you never worked with them you will be lost.. totally different set up to the uk fittings. as ascaffolder in the uk you will pick it up fast, but going on a job without experiencing these and youv'e no chance...

Top Bottom