Trainee Scaff (1 Viewer)

james-hg

Reaction score
I was told about this sight a few weeks back and glad ive finally come across it. ive found it really handy and got alot of advice.

Ive been offered a job as a trainee scaffolder at a local power station and just have a few questions to all you lads that av been in the game for a while.

Do you have any regrets gettin into scaffolding ? or would you say the good points beat the down sides ?? im really lookin forward to gettin into it looks like an ideal job for me.

Also how long does it take roughly before i can start working towards part 1 ?

Thanks in advance

Trainee Scaffolder

Hi James,

I have been in the game since 1986, it was a bit of lucky break for me, I was waiting for a date to go into the RAF which I wanted to do when I left school, I was asked by a friends dad if I was looking for a job to tie me over until the RAF date came through so I took it on, it was only a YTS at GKN in Hull (there is a thread on this) and here I am still in the scaffolding game in 2010 but I am not on my tools anymore but in management. I have had no regrets sticking with this industry in fact I love it. But winter is not the best thing to look forward to for any scaffolder.

Best of luck with your career.
And work safely.

Hi TAC

Thanks for the words of advice mate from what ive heard from alot of people there aint alot of regrets about going into scaffolding. Im just tryin to do a bit of research into the game to see what ive got ahead of me haha.

I did a years work on the railways but work was very hard to come across because of my age unfortunatly. I enjoy the hard graft to be honest mate so i thought scaffin wouldn't be a bad choice. I got the offer through a mates dad aswell and all bein well ill be startin within the next 3 weeks ( Fingers Crossed )

Thanks again.

Hi James,

If you have a PTS card from working on the railways, that is a good qualification to have in the scaffolding game.

Which just reminds me mine is due for renewal.

haha yeah mine is up for renewal aswell now mate run out this month but i don't think it's too much for the 1 day re-cert is it. i hope not ! cost me enough first time round haha

Cheers.

It's a bugger if you don't use it in the 2 years as well.
If your work experience book as not been stamped by a COSS (2 jobs a year) you have to do the full 2 day course.

i started at 16 still working on tools now at 38, job has its ups & downs, pardon the pun, looking to get off tools now, bones & joints are aching too much, its a decent trade to get into, i've had 5 jobs in a week before now, good luck with your career choice.:)

Welcome to the Scaffolding Fraternity!!

Have been in the game since 1984 and loved 99% of it, there are very few jobs were you get as much freedom.

Be prepared for the aches and pains though mate, when you first start it will take a few weeks to break your shoulder in and thats with out the physical effort of humping gear all day!! I would say the "Average" Scaffolder will be carrying 2 or 3 tonnes of gear a day...so your gonna be fit!!

If you are that way inclinded there are also a lot of opportunities in Contract Management, Estimating, Design, Safety etc should you wish to pursue these following time served on the tools.

I personally spent 12 years on the tools and then moved into Management, I did dip into Contracts Mangement for a roofing company for 2 years but that has been my only break from the trade, I've got to say I still love it now and cant imagine doing anything else!!

Enjoy it mate...Good Luck....and finally Dont give up!! It WILL get easier, you'll know what I mean by that when you start.:D

James,be prepared to meet a very select bunch of strange characters,they all will have great stories and examples of occurances that has happened to themselves,or somebody they know,Ive been involved in scaffolding for 20yrs now and have no regrets what so ever,the banter is 5hit hot,jobs never boring or the same,stick in and enjoy yourself mate,hard work will bring its own rewards,good luck mate,now wheres my back support..:D

Cheers for the advice lads and the warnings haha from what ive heard it sounds like a great crack and a bit of hard graft will do me the world of good i reckon. The opportunity seems to good to turn down at this age hopefully it won't be long before im on the job.

Cheers again.

Scaffolding is like Marmite you will either love it or hate it.
I personally love it and theres not many people out there who can say they love their jobs.

Welcome to the Scaffolding Fraternity!!

Have been in the game since 1984 and loved 99% of it, there are very few jobs were you get as much freedom.

Be prepared for the aches and pains though mate, when you first start it will take a few weeks to break your shoulder in and thats with out the physical effort of humping gear all day!! I would say the "Average" Scaffolder will be carrying 2 or 3 tonnes of gear a day...so your gonna be fit!!

If you are that way inclinded there are also a lot of opportunities in Contract Management, Estimating, Design, Safety etc should you wish to pursue these following time served on the tools.

I personally spent 12 years on the tools and then moved into Management, I did dip into Contracts Mangement for a roofing company for 2 years but that has been my only break from the trade, I've got to say I still love it now and cant imagine doing anything else!!

Enjoy it mate...Good Luck....and finally Dont give up!! It WILL get easier, you'll know what I mean by that when you start.:D

Been Scaffolding since 1978, Paul when will it get easier for me mate?:D

James best of luck mate, the Craic is brill, the lads are a breed apart from other trades, and the pride felt in completing a challenging job is a great feeling mate.

Hi James

Go for it nothing ventured nothing gained, work hard,it can be heavy going on a power station,if you are being employed on a shutdown be prepared to be laid off when the work is complete.
If you are a trainee your employer should get you on the training path as soon as possible,then you will be able to make him lot,s of money and your-self a bit.
Ask questions of the lads your working with as to why they are fixing tube or whatever in the way they are, try to understand the design of the structure

Do not ever foget that the trades that work from your scaffolds are in my experience a set of numpties that have not a clue as what constitutes a safe scaffold so it is down to you to provide and maintain it,s integrity. if you spot a hazard don't walk bye report it It could save some ones life

I started work in the game in 1965 and was still on the tools up to three years ago,I am now a health & Safety consultant and cover scaffold Inspection as part of my remit

My tea,s ready catch you later

Top Bottom