Retention (1 Viewer)

aom

Reaction score
I was just wondering who on here accept retention from a main contractor. I personally have never accepted it as it's my belief that the scaffold is either right or wrong from the word go and any defects no matter when they become apparent must be rectified immediately. Can't work out if I'm old fashioned, out of touch or just a big erse.:D

One of the so called big nationals trying to force it on me. Maybe their trying to bully the wee guy. Think I'll tell them to ram it.:mad:

One of the so called big nationals trying to force it on me. Maybe their trying to bully the wee guy. Think I'll tell them to ram it.:mad:

aom,

I work for a big national firm and I have told them you can not ask for retention on scaffolding as this is classed as plant.

I hope this answers your question.

TAC

Don't like mentioning too many names in open forum. As for the exactly it's 3% of the top for 12 months. I know it doesn't sound a lot but it just irks me. For example, is there anyone on here who accepts retention actually manages to collect all of it. Maybe I should have opened with that one.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

aom,

I work for a big national firm and I have told them you can not ask for retention on scaffolding as this is classed as plant.

I hope this answers your question.

TAC

Tac,

Didn't know that. So it's the same as the vat, they have no right to hold me to retention.

Well, like I said, none of us who do the pricing here accept it and its always put in the contract clauses anyway.

We work to nec3 option c contracts which is a high rate contracts.

No you should not be holding to any retention 0%.

TAC

Dave-ja-vu

I have it inserted in my clauses as well but as usuall their order comes in after and we are required to sign that as well. That is when you see the first mention of retention. The point of the question was to see how many contractors still tried to hold the scaffs to it and how many if at all accepted it.

Tac

Cheers for the tip. I will stand my ground and see what happens.

aom,

Good luck mate.

Just don't forget that scaffolding is "PLANT"
That should shut them up.

From a Hull City Tiger
TAC

Only ever got retention back once from Miller Construction , likewise we put no retention but there are a few that take it - just another form of MCD

Only ever got retention back once from Miller Construction , likewise we put no retention but there are a few that take it - just another form of MCD

scaffy,

MCD which I think you are referring to (main contractors discount) is not the same as retention.

If a enquiry comes in with a 2.5% MCD I would add it on..

A retention is only a insurance so there can hold your money.

I cant believe PC's are still trying it on with Retention....our stock answer is NO!! As I put it when the question is raised Scaffold is not included within the final O&M Manual for a completed project so therefore should not fall into the same contractual situation and as someone quite rightly pointed out it is classed as "Plant"...always works for me.

When I was pricing street work I would always use the clause : "As Scaffolding Works Are Of A Temporary Nature,No Retention Conditions Will Be Accepted". How can anyone insist on a retention percentage when the scaffold goes up then comes downRetention relates more to faults becoming apparent in the workmanship and quality of brickwork and roofs etc.

AOM they are only after the pennies hid in your sporron :D

Its all been said, Just another con to hang on to the money they owe you,

Yeah I know Rigger, they will have to be prepared to fight tooth and nail to get money oot of my sporran. Agent running the job has acknowledged we said from day 1 no retention and has promised to sort it. I am off the job know so won't hold my breath.

Just to let you all know, retention money was released today, wee baw bag of a qs said it was a favour as every invoice is subject to retention. Don't really care how you reconcile it to yourself ya wee pr**k, just show me the cash. Thanks for all the good advice.

I simply forward an acceptance form with all the price details on it for the main contractor to sign and return before work commences. It seems to get around it for me every time.

Did all that Scaffman, the qs I was dealing with during tendering got the bullit after the acceptance forms went out, new broom came in trying to impress his gaffer by pushing round the wee guy. Now he expects me to believe it's a personal favour to me and not the fact he has made a total erse of himself and had no right to hold retention of me in the first place.

Did all that Scaffman, the qs I was dealing with during tendering got the bullit after the acceptance forms went out, new broom came in trying to impress his gaffer by pushing round the wee guy. Now he expects me to believe it's a personal favour to me and not the fact he has made a total erse of himself and had no right to hold retention of me in the first place.
You can't apply retention to temporary works, unless you let them ! just insist they always crack

Top Bottom