doubles on cross brace for beams????? (1 Viewer)

jamieBhibby

Reaction score
just in from work and had a bit of a barny with the gaffer bout whitch way round the doubles go on the cross brace on the unit beams we put in over a roof can any one tell me what is the correct way they should be facing???
myself and the other scaff working with me both thought the bolt should be facing in towards the scaffold as to "pull it in tight" but our boss said its the other way an when we asked why he just said listen to some one that knows and told us to shut it!!! i may be wrong but was hoping someone could clear it up for me and explain why it goes the other way if that is the case?? cheers troops!!:weird:

Hi jamieBhibby

I have spoken to our design engineer on quite a few occasions on this matter and he's told me that from a design prospective it doesn't make any difference which way round the doubles go as they take the same load whichever way round the doubles are.

The way round you put them is normally just determined by ease of erection i.e. the gates of the doubles underneath on ledgers so that they can't drop out, hangers the opposite way, puncheons the opposite way etc.

Check out the Scaffolders Study Group "swivels" which way round for a good explanation from 21's

So in answer to your gaffer I think it's a case of you do it your way and i'll do it my way (I think that's a cue for a song)

:weird:......Strange.......Even though some scaffs may have OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder......including your Gaffer) as a rule I would say get your fittings on any way that you can. The important thing is to be able to do them up!

Anyone who's done a lot of Beamwork will know that because of the close proximity of some tubes and fittings, you may have to sacrifice your preferred position of the fitting just to make sure that you can attach it! As it is you probably have to resort to using an Open Ender anyway......

.....and he should be pleased that you have put a brace from the bottom chord of one beam to the top chord of another.....I have seen some where it's conspicuous by it's absence .....:eek:

Im always of the idea that bolts should face into the scaffold, always taught my trainees that too.

Dave.

Because when you do the gate up the bolt pulls the fitting slightly inwards and also (told by an engineer) that the fittings should oppose each other. I was also told that by several 'old hands' when I was a pup. A bit of a case of 'stuck in my ways' but I see the sense of it. I used to do all fittings that way, even clips facing inwards on transoms, temp braces etc.
In reality I know there is probably very little or maybe no difference once the fittings done up. Maybe someone a bit more techy can shed some light on that one...???

Its not something I even conciuosly have to think about when I scaffold. Obviously with certain beams you have to just get a fitting on however you can, I just do it as 'best practice'.

Dave.

Because when you do the gate up the bolt pulls the fitting slightly inwards and also (told by an engineer) that the fittings should oppose each other. I was also told that by several 'old hands' when I was a pup. A bit of a case of 'stuck in my ways' but I see the sense of it. I used to do all fittings that way, even clips facing inwards on transoms, temp braces etc.
In reality I know there is probably very little or maybe no difference once the fittings done up. Maybe someone a bit more techy can shed some light on that one...???

Its not something I even conciuosly have to think about when I scaffold. Obviously with certain beams you have to just get a fitting on however you can, I just do it as 'best practice'.

Dave.

Interesting the reasons we do things and how they become second nature.

An old boy I used to work with also used to fit clips with bolts to the inside, his reason was (this was the days before single rails to all lifts) when fastening the fitting if the bolt is internal when you push on the spanner you are pushing against the back of the gate and the bolt cannot slip out and risk you overbalancing and maybe falling off.

Hope I explained that one clearly (it sounded okay in my head)!!

This is one that has always stuck with me and even now with single rails and harnesses it's still a habbit that I always use.

Aye Dave ja vu thats the way i was taught bolts on the inside but sometimes in congested areas ya may need to put the double on upside down wi beams depends where ya plan and knee brace fall, yeah not normal practice but if its wrapped up dont make much difference.

Doubles on unit beams to roof

Hi All

It will not matter which way the fittings are fixed.

The loads allowed for in the design will be less than the safe working load of the fitting in either direction.

Hope this is helps in the answer.

Chris Eng :noworry:

Top Bottom