Drawings

marra watson

Reaction score
ort lads having the ckr wid a lad at work been on for the fim since he was about 16 now nearly 40 so good 20 year at it been part to fir donkeys his wanting to become advanced (only way gaffer will give him more money) but says he hasnt a clue how to read drawing they just twist his tash just wondering if theres a book he could get to explain them a demo cad dvd .cheers

There are books but that's what you go to the centres for. Its a bit like tidying the house before the cleaner gets there.:D

they dont teach drwgs on the advanced course any more, and to be honest the standard of the ones they give you for the tasks are so simplified they're a joke. but the instructors always talk you throught it. i was very surprised when i took mine that i was the only one out of 8 that could read a proper set, but it was only self taught over the years, with many questions on the way, so i too would be interested to hear if there are any courses with it in t

ahahah aom i not sure if theres any centres around her in teh sticks dont hink local collage does them ither he said another lad at work done his advanced and just talked him threw one drawing and if ya iddint under tsand to put ya hand up well htis guys hand would be up all day by the sounds of it so his just wanting a briefing i think if ya get me ya got more chance of getting a flyer at half 8 out of our gaffer than him showing ya sumet he said

Alwyn Richards, not sure about the spelling but google it to see what comes up.

I stand by what I said although SP makes a good point about most centres drawings being poor but when you go on a course like advanced you are not meant to know how to read a drawing until you have done their training.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Click on the training tab at the top.

Alwyn Richards - Temporary Works Design & Scaffolding Design - Portfolio

very true AOM but wouldn't you have thought that part of being an advanced would be the ability to understand a set of drwgs, and set out to them,
when i made the same statement @ birchem was told that it was taken out of the curriculum as was not concidered not that important and was not enough time to do it anyway-to which i would beg to differ lolo :)

I would differ also SP in fact I differ in practically every way when it comes to training the young guns but alas it seems there isn't a place in this brave new world for dinosaurs.

As for the drawing thing, I like yourself learned it along the way without really noticing, but there is no big secret and once you realise a few simple general rules the rest would surely follow. When I did my advanced I think we only had to scale straight lines and even then they had to give us the answer as the photo copied samples changed every time they went through the machine. I personally don't think you can teach much about reading drawings anyway, once you have seen a few and get used to them they become pretty simple, usually.

true enough for our desighn dwgs - dotted green line for braces,heavy black for ledgers, X for checks, everything after a few goes stays in, however what were you like the first time you got a pack of building drwgs, lolo wtf took ages to define concrete floors from timber,
plus sections etc and to be able to see a 2d drwg as a 3d in my head with varius balconies and line changes lolo now not a problem me thinks, and now contractors are starting to invest in 3d cad impression dwgs so hardly ever miss anything lolo

Yes it's not the first time we have made a mistake on a drawing even today but it's usually because we have rushed in to it. As long as we get the time we are usually never far away.

Some of the so called professional drawings we get to price are a disgrace and how the builders get on when we struggle to use them for pricing purposes is beyond me. One job recently the joiner joked he would be better using the drawing I did for the boy's erecting the scaffold as they were better than the one's he was issued with from the architect.

Wow lads, that surprises me
I'm glad I was at cecol when I was
We were taught how to read drawings and taught well

Yes it's not the first time we have made a mistake on a drawing even today but it's usually because we have rushed in to it. As long as we get the time we are usually never far away.

Some of the so called professional drawings we get to price are a disgrace and how the builders get on when we struggle to use them for pricing purposes is beyond me. One job recently the joiner joked he would be better using the drawing I did for the boy's erecting the scaffold as they were better than the one's he was issued with from the architect.

If your designs are poo talk to a guy called Bill Fergurson at Scaftec hes in Glasgow
regards
Alan

I've never mentioned Alwyn on here but I've shared a few cups of coffee with him and I must admit his drawings are of the highest quality AOM.
Now back to this guy and drawings. Is this reason because all drawings are done in metric measurements and the guy still works in imperial measurements? If this is the case then it's very easy to convert 1 into the other. If this is the case then give us a shout and I'll show him the easy way for him.

If your designs are poo talk to a guy called Bill Fergurson at Scaftec hes in Glasgow
regards
Alan

Hi Alan, I have spoken with Bill a few times and Donald and any drawing they have ever done that I have seen has been idiot proof, I have one of theirs on the go at the minute. The poor drawings I was referring to in this instance were the one's from architects drawing the building's.

The first time I used Scaftec was a few years back they did a temporary pedestrian walk way over a canal. Simple enough but even just chatting to them over the phone was magic as it was the first time in ages I didn't need to try and work out how to explain things to them they just seemed on the same wave length right away.

Hi Alan, I have spoken with Bill a few times and Donald and any drawing they have ever done that I have seen has been idiot proof, I have one of theirs on the go at the minute. The poor drawings I was referring to in this instance were the one's from architects drawing the building's.

The first time I used Scaftec was a few years back they did a temporary pedestrian walk way over a canal. Simple enough but even just chatting to them over the phone was magic as it was the first time in ages I didn't need to try and work out how to explain things to them they just seemed on the same wave length right away.

Great firm, would never put you wrong would I?:bigsmile:

Im sure this has been brought up before , think it might be in the training or software section and im sure there is some good info and answers on it so do a search or something

Top Bottom