Horizontal Running Lines (1 Viewer)

PW

Reaction score
Lads

Having investigated the use of the step up platforms (We still havent started using them mostly due to the comments of some of you boys) we have started looking at Horizontal Running Lines that are ratcheted to the lift from below and then you simply clip your lanyard to them when you access your freshly boarded lift, put your single rail hemps etc and Bobs Your Uncle, it all sounds so simple, I have even heard that it can be done in 30m sections.

Have any of you lads used this system in this situation? I remember years ago I was given one of these packs when I was on the tools at SGB for use when erecting Hand Rail to Steel (Pre Powered Access Days...Just!!) but never bothered because at the end of the day you had to get out there initially and set the thing up, as my mate and I were harnessed to the steel anyway I thought whats the f*cking point!!

Any comments or views would be greatly appreiciated.

Thanks in Anticipation

Paul

PW

This is something I have just started to look at myself, as for our operation the step and the advanced guard rail just don't do it for me for all sorts of reasons. I've also been asked to look in to the viability of setting it up for joiners sheetting a roof so we don't have to erect a massive crash deck below them. Unfortunately I've come up with didley squat to date, so I will be watching this thread with interest, but will post any info that I can get today.

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Horizontal Safety Line Kit (HSL KIT) ? Spanset Online Shop

This is about all I can get. Nothing specific regarding scaffolding I'm afraid. Just need to keep looking.

Horizontal Safety Lines

Gents

The horizontal safety lines have their uses but I don't beleive they are the answer. Having used both horizontal lines and safety steps Me and the lads prefer the latter. With horizontal safety lines they take time to set up, you need a good distance below (i.e. 6.5m clear with the Spanset) for them to work, normally only 1 man per line (unless you can get massive anchor point loads) and also they fall below safety steps in the heirarchy of control measures, safety steps is fall prevention horizontal lines are still fall arrest.

Hope this helps

Hi PW

I take your point on falling backwards off the steps, however this is a small fall within the structure which is unlikely to cause serious damage when compared to falling outside the structure.

As for RSI I am talking of the new type safety steps with the ladder sections on (and we,ve all been climbing ladders for years mate).

Collo,

There must be a better way than using a step ladder. The span set is not the answer but I think that's what pw is trying to find out. One question I have never had an answer to by anyone actually using a step is how do you top out a 2 foot std from 3 foot below the lift standing on a tea tray. I can't be the only scaff who works on un-even sloping ground.

Collo,

There must be a better way than using a step ladder. The span set is not the answer but I think that's what pw is trying to find out. One question I have never had an answer to by anyone actually using a step is how do you top out a 2 foot std from 3 foot below the lift standing on a tea tray. I can't be the only scaff who works on un-even sloping ground.

Hi aom

With a stagger in the standards you should always be able to fix to every other standard as a minimum. Then board out from below jump up and drop your 2ft toppers in over the handrail.

Collo,

I've never used the step so any question I have is just from running the required action through my tiny brain. I see what you are saying regarding alternate standards, I was trying to imagine hemping a paddy from these things but I get it now you only need to fit the rail. I suppose the only bitch is now lifting the other standards over the hand rail. You can't really do the same with system though without using a load of 2m std. Sorry Collo, just thinking out loud here and trying to decide if maybe the step is such a bad way to go after all.

PW

A bit of a cross thread again, but it's hard to discuss collective protection without the same old problems rearing their ugly head.

Collo,

I've never used the step so any question I have is just from running the required action through my tiny brain. I see what you are saying regarding alternate standards, I was trying to imagine hemping a paddy from these things but I get it now you only need to fit the rail. I suppose the only bitch is now lifting the other standards over the hand rail. You can't really do the same with system though without using a load of 2m std. Sorry Collo, just thinking out loud here and trying to decide if maybe the step is such a bad way to go after all.

PW

A bit of a cross thread again, but it's hard to discuss collective protection without the same old problems rearing their ugly head.

You're right what you say regarding system, I think it could adapt to some systems, I suppose each system has to be looked at individually as I doubt there will be a magic fix all solution that will cross all systems (unless anybody knows different) but for tube and fitting It's really not that bad or time consuming.

PW

You could try a couple of your 'more accepting of change' scaffolders to trial the two methods it shouldn't cost too much in terms of investment. You may find they'll be more accepting of new methods and change if you involve them, and they have a say in the decision making process.

You could try a couple of your 'more accepting of change' scaffolders to trial the two methods it shouldn't cost too much in terms of investment. You may find they'll be more accepting of new methods and change if you involve them, and they have a say in the decision making process.

Thats food for thought Collo....I'm getiing the feeling perphaps "Tea Trays" for the lower and shorter jobs and lines for the big elevations.....hmmmm

PW,

Is the spanset kit what you had in mind or were you hoping for something more specific to the scaff?

Only quickly looked at the comments here, but heres my tuppence worth.

Running lines etc are not a satisfactory method. They will stop you hitting the ground, but not stop you falling in the first place, which is the aim of the advanced guardrails.
We are using the varistep type of platform, I personally cant see anything much more practical (costs included) that works.

Dave.

MY preference would simply be to retire all us old gits and hire an train 7ft 8 inch youngsters for the job, no need for stepping up,no need for running lines just chronic back problems from walking like a half shut penknife under the boards most of the day

Collo,

If your standards are staggered then surely you would top out the 2 foot standards once you had the handrail on from underneath ???????
I do agree though that the combisafe step is sh*ite, i'm using it now doing a tower block in Kennington, South London. Pain in the arse it is up and bloody down.

If your standards are staggered then surely you would top out the 2 foot standards once you had the handrail on from underneath ???????
I do agree though that the combisafe step is sh*ite, i'm using it now doing a tower block in Kennington, South London. Pain in the arse it is up and bloody down.

Hi VancouverLeedsLondonBoy

I Think what aom meant is that if you are standing 3ft below the lift (i.e at the handrail height of the lift below) and the standards are 2ft above the lift, then the standards are 5ft high. Probably not the best idea to attempt topping these out off your step!!

Top Bottom