Scaffolder falls offshore in Western Australia

Reaction score
Consultant Scaffolding Manager AG&P Philippines
Just had an incident reported to me where a scaffolder fell offshore on the Rankin Platform.
He was rescued after being suspended for 7 minutes from an inertia reel.
Initial reports suggest he was erecting an underdeck scaffold, standing on a 6-3 metre dropper which had no check fitting. Dropper and scaffolder went...tube into the ocean scaffolder swinging by the balls.

good to hear hes ok keep us updated regarding the investigation.
was it a ****** dropped forge and the hammer had twisted and the lads thought it was tight.it also shows the need for a checker,something i have to admit i didnt always bother with especially if i was just jumping over the side to have a look at how we were going to get started

Better not mention any names Daftscaff but do you remember the Aberdonian that hit the water from a fair height? The way he told me was he was dizzy but fine but thought he was sent for when a big black hand came from the sky and lifted him out the water. Obviously this was the rescue team who I think broke his arm dragging him into the boat then laid him flat on the bench of the boat but didn't secure his head and when they took off they smashed his teeth with his head going like the Churchill dog.:D

Hanger

Evening HSWT

I am erecting a hanger underside of the rig that you can see. I have now made a mental note to ensure that we take the Gotcha kit with us from now on. And make sure that the rig rescue team have drilled recently and regularly. Realised that I have got a little complacent about it.
Must applaud the boys who rescued him in 7 minutes.

We heard this happened 21 nov, for the place it happened its been kept mighty quiet.

No matter what though, thank god the blokes alright.

Celtic

Better not mention any names Daftscaff but do you remember the Aberdonian that hit the water from a fair height? The way he told me was he was dizzy but fine but thought he was sent for when a big black hand came from the sky and lifted him out the water. Obviously this was the rescue team who I think broke his arm dragging him into the boat then laid him flat on the bench of the boat but didn't secure his head and when they took off they smashed his teeth with his head going like the Churchill dog.:D

Thats not quite true but it is a good story when its told.

haha, is that one of these urban myths I keep hearing about. It's going back a few years now but I worked with the guy in question but I suppose he could have embellished it a bit or maybe I did that on my own. Still speak to a few boys up there I will need to prod a few memories.:idea:

Just seen this, we got a safety alert a week or so ago about certain fittings that were not fastening correctly, obviously we don't know the root cause of this accident but I will get a copy of the alert and post it up tomorrow. At least you'll know what to look out for.

Thats not quite true but it is a good story when its told.

What was the real story then? I asked a few friends from up there and they all reckon it's true, he allegedly had to change his statement for the enquiry though. I also heard he was invited to attend a Shell do to talk about his experience and what it meant to him. Might just be another story though as all information is second hand now and we are talking years ago.

Top Bottom