Why is it called a frog : for the spanner holder (1 Viewer)

simmo

Reaction score
its puzzled me for years why the old spanner holder is called a frog
the only thing i herd from my grandad was after the war scaffs used there old army belts and used there bayonet holders for there spanners ,
is it because bayonet is french , as in frog ... mmmmmmm

any takers on this theroy
or is there a real answer to this one
cheers simmo

Good question,cant say I ever thought about it.According to the Oxford English Dictionary its origin is unknown.But they were definetely called bayonet frogs in the great war.

Tried digging about for the answer to this one, found didley. Maybe lost in history right enough as there has been little response. Great question though, it will annoy me for ages now till some bright spark en-lightens us.

The Frog

Maybe it "gripp-it" :laugh:

Well I thought it was a good guess.....

From a Hull City Tiger
TAC

frog2    /frɒg, frɔg/ Show Spelled[frog, frawg] Show IPA
–noun
1. an ornamental fastening for the front of a coat, consisting of a button and a loop through which it passes.
2. a sheath suspended from a belt and supporting a scabbard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1710–20; perh. < Pg froco < L floccus flock2

nice one Paddy, that could have been the source of some annoyance for a while.

well done people , i must admit i wanted to know why for ages , kool , ya learn something new every day , many thanks...sabre

simmo

Your Grandfather is quite correct---a lot of Scaffs bought bayonet holders from the ex-Army and Navey Stores---we put a metal furrell inside the Frog to save it from wearing the webbing out---but you had to be careful of the Spanner sliding out of the Frog ( Metal to Metal ) when you were friggin in the riggin :nuts:

Garry...

Top Bottom