Inertia reels (1 Viewer)

scaffler

Reaction score
Good evening fellas! I'm thinking of upgrading my harness from a lanyard to an inertia reel. Has anyone got an opinion on them, good bad or indifferent! and are they worth the money?:unsure:

Scaffler

Yip, like the reels, however, anchor points can be a contentious point in some cases ( SWL ect )---Iv got a small light weight reel, however, the retrieval reels can be quite heavy---you also got the question of rescue plans, maintenance, ect ect...

Garry...

I like the small Inertia Reels, tbh.
They seem easier to use then Lanyards, but alot of firms dont like using them, as ive heard that inspecting them can be a difficult.

They are a cracking piece of kit used in the correct enviroment, however mis treat them at your peril.
If your working on a building site it doesn't take long for the reel to get full of sh1t when you keep throwing them on the floor etc.
One good safety aspect is you don't need to wrap them round yourself when not in use, just under the arm they go.
They will also last longer (if looked after) as 90% of the strap is hidden from the elements when not in using leading to less snagging, abrasions and contamination.

They are a cracking piece of kit used in the correct enviroment, however mis treat them at your peril.
If your working on a building site it doesn't take long for the reel to get full of sh1t when you keep throwing them on the floor etc.
One good safety aspect is you don't need to wrap them round yourself when not in use, just under the arm they go.
They will also last longer (if looked after) as 90% of the strap is hidden from the elements when not in using leading to less snagging, abrasions and contamination.

Good post Jackdan,
I've not had much to do with them but don't object to giving them a go. How do you get on with them on beam work or other places where you need a twin lanyard?
thanks again
Alan

sorry Alan I can't answer that. i have never had the pleasure of wearing double lanyards,
Almost every time i was on beams we nearly always left the turfer wire in position or moved it to suit and then used it as a line.

Miller mini lite, we wear 2 reels, they weigh 1.1 kg + shark hook and triple lock caribeener.

Works well in 100% hook on, lanyard goes out 2 m and has a shock absorber.

Protecta make another 1, call it a rebel, 3.3 m retractable bit.

Miller mini lite, we wear 2 reels, they weigh 1.1 kg + shark hook and triple lock caribeener.

Works well in 100% hook on, lanyard goes out 2 m and has a shock absorber.

Protecta make another 1, call it a rebel, 3.3 m retractable bit.

Thanks for that Celtic I will look it up
regards
Alan

Anchor Points: Jordan Clamp where there is no adequate anchor point with in the close proximity of the work place a Jordan Clamp maybe a consideration.

I personalty have slight reservation, if partial or complete collapse of the Scaffold were to occur when a Scaffolders is " hooked on " the Scaff way go with the Scaffold, however, Risk Analysis and Adequate Engineering may mitigate this.

Comments please ???

Attachments

• 340x273_125372040513188.jpg
    340x273_125372040513188.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Anchor Points: Jordan Clamp where there is no adequate anchor point with in the close proximity of the work place a Jordan Clamp maybe a consideration.

I personalty have slight reservation, if partial or complete collapse of the Scaffold were to occur when a Scaffolders is " hooked on " the Scaff way go with the Scaffold, however, Risk Analysis and Adequate Engineering may mitigate this.

Comments please ???

Gary, I thought the Jordan clamp had been removed from service. I know they have stopped using them at the centres.

Thanks fellas! I like the sound of those light ones.. what's the best one on the market? for both safety/comfort and value for money!

Alistair

Not wishing to hijack this thread, I'll start a new thread on the Jordan Clamp...

Go for one with the shock asborer built in like a IKAR. Reasoning the external shock absorber on most reels indicate they were originally designed for the US market to hook up above.

Here in Australia with certain types you can hook up below but I would only use a reel with an internal shock asborbing system as they have been truelly designed for that purpose.

We did use the miller mini block but have sinced replaced them for IKAR, easy and lite weighing 800 grm

Mc Spanner, spot on the Ikar (dont like the colour)! are good and cheap 60 quid each from safety gear store + hook.

safety officers are always going on about you cany see if the shock absorbers a bit used though like the other ones

having just had guys come back from the miller harness inspectors course made us change to them....great little personel reel called a scorpion , and for longer lines if needed the bigger falcon are both good value & light gucci bits of kit

Top Bottom