Another HMRC System Glitch (for employers)

Reaction score
Looks like the HMRC system is throwing out unnecessary post again. We've had a few PAYE overdue notices for months 1-3 in recent days which aren't actually due. Just requires a quick phone call to the tax office or forward a copy to your accountant to have a chat with them and get it squared off.

This follows the P11d glitch a few months ago and the tax code issue so there's likely to be more to follow especially with the self assessment deadline looming. :eek:

Have to be honest FA, I have never had a simple phone call to the tax man in my life. When it's their mistake it's all we are a big outfit and mistakes are inevitable but when it's our mistake they are not happy until you are put to the sword. The most annoying mistake they made with me was they wrote and threatened to tell all my clients that I was no longer to be trusted to fill in my own return as I had owed them money for over a year and they were withdrawing my UTR. I hit the roof and went crashing in to my accountants office demanding to know where this had come from as we really rely probably to heavily on them getting it right and telling us what to pay and when to pay it. Anyway, long story short it turned out to be a few hundred quid I had claimed for paternity pay and Mr tax man had not credited my account so there was actually no money due. No apology for ruining your weekend and threatening you with embarrassing you with your clients and maybe ripping your credit score to shreds you have spent a life time building, just a mistakes happen pal.:mad:

Hmrc

Blimey....did you go through the complaints process with them? Did your accountants sort it out quickly.

I'd noticed in the past that the departments dealing with CIS and PAYE were particularly bad. Things have improved but as you say they're a big organisation run by public servants and obtaining accountability has been difficult in the past.

Have you thought about bringing the monthly returns in house or still using your accountant?

No I didn't go through the complaints department and they know all too well what that would mean for anyone doing so, audit after audit after audit. My accountant is a good guy who is very thorough and yes he did sort it out very quickly but to be honest I have still know idea if any of my clients were actually notified of the tax mans intentions to withdraw my utr or not. The VAT man is not much better, I lost my father in law very suddenly a few years back and spent a week with him in hospital and on my return to work we had been put on the clock with a yellow card for late payment. I could have contested it but to be honest I didn't have the strength at the time so just swallowed that one and got on with it but it does leave a nasty taste in the mouth. I would never do my returns in house, as I said my accountant is a good guy and very reasonable with his rates especially as we use software he recommended to collate the information he really just checks it and sends it as is but when it hit's the fan it's always nice to have someone close by to go and shout at.:cool:

Top Bottom