Hong Kong Scaffolders Stick To Bamboo Scaffolding (1 Viewer)

SF Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
Nicknamed "spiders" for their gravity-defying skills in web-like constructions, Hong Kong's bamboo scaffolders have risen above predictions that their trade would disappear.

They remain a common sight high above the streets of the city, scaling the sides of towering, ultra-modern steel and glass buildings on traditional bamboo poles linked through ancient design concepts.

"People prophesied in 1957 that bamboo scaffolding was finished," former construction industry instructor Dan Waters told AFP, recalling the talk at an exhibition of new steel and aluminium gear.

The prophecy has proved accurate in some other parts of Asia such as mainland China and Singapore, where bamboo has largely been banished from high-rise construction sites in favour of modern materials.

But in Hong Kong, 1,835 registered bamboo scaffolders continue to play a vital role in forming the constantly changing skyline of the Chinese territory, and each year a handful of new recruits sign up.

"I didn't want to stay inside a classroom," 18-year-old trainee Wong Tik-hong told AFP while sitting two storeys up on a horizontal pole, with a leg hooked around a vertical for support.

"I was afraid when I looked up from the ground," he said of his early days of training at the Construction Industry Council (CIC) academy, where he and other students were erecting a frame against a wall.

Wong's initial fear is not surprising in a trade that requires workers to clamber dozens of storeys on flimsy-looking frames made from what botanists recognise as a species of grass, tethered together by nylon strips.

A total of 16 people died by falling from scaffolding at construction sites in Hong Kong in the five years to 2008 -- nine of them scaffolders -- according to Labour Department statistics.

Building confidence is an important part of the training, said academy instructor Tang Sung-yuen, who started his scaffolding career at the age of 14 in the late 1960s.

The trainer, who scaled the bamboo wrappings of the Hopewell Centre in the early 1980s when the 64-storey building became the territory's highest structure, has classic advice for dealing with nerves at altitude: "Don't look down."

Despite a strong emphasis on safety on the CIC course, students acknowledge that there are concerns surrounding their choice of career.

"Even if they worry, there's not much my family can do, because I have to make a living. I have to find my way," said Wong's classmate Tsz Lung, who has his sights set on running his own firm of bamboo scaffolders.

"I plan to become a boss," the 20-year-old told AFP.

It takes several years before wages reach the going rate of around 700 to 800 Hong Kong dollars (90-100 US dollars) a day for experienced scaffolders.

Newly-qualified scaffolders can expect to earn 350 to 400 Hong Kong dollars a day, staying on that rate for the first four years until they take a masters qualification.

At that wage, and with the risks involved, scaffolding is not a popular choice at the CIC academy. Only seven students are on the course this year, while about 30 have signed up for plumbing.

Scaffolding contractor Y.H. So of Wui Fai holdings is uncertain about the future.

"Last year only four students graduated from the CIC training academy. The government won't let us train our own staff," he told AFP. "All our trade is dying," he said.

Speaking outside a bamboo covered cluster of new 50-storey towers in the Diamond Hill neighbourhood near Kowloon city, he told AFP that there was also no guarantee of a continuous supply of bamboo poles in the future.

"I think change is coming. We are worried about the supply of bamboo in China," he said, explaining that most of it comes from wild bamboo groves in Guangxi province.

"The supply will drop off. There are more towns and cities now in China," he said.

But at the moment his bamboo demand is met without delay, including all the poles needed for the 30 million Hong Kong dollar contract at Diamond Hill that employs 30-40 full-time scaffolders a day.

Instructor Tang at the CIC academy does not share So's pessimism and rejects concerns about the supply of bamboo, a fast growing plant ubiquitous throughout southern China.

He also believes young men will continue to set their sights on becoming scaffolders, though "not everyone is capable of doing this job."

The industry offers new recruits good opportunities to move from merely providing skilled labour to becoming bosses of their own firms. "And that's the ultimate goal for any worker in Hong Kong," he said.

Dan Waters now knows that the 1957 prediction about the demise of bamboo scaffolding was premature, and believes it will still be around for a long time to come.

He heard the forecast during a field trip with his building industry students at the construction site of the Furama hotel, where there was an exhibition of metal scaffolding.

More than 50 years later the hotel has gone, replaced by the gleaming asymmetrical AIG tower and bamboo continues to be a major scaffolding material.

"I didn't think it would last in 1957, but I'm more convinced than ever that it will carry on. It will certainly long last me out," said Waters.

Source: AFP

Bamboo scaffolding

Hi

Just read your article and it prompted me to Google some pictures.

The attached picture shows you a high rise job.

Could be slightly out of plumb tube and fit at this distance, with the sway bracing gone mad.

Thanks for the article SF Admin:)

Attachments

• bamboo-vi.jpg
    bamboo-vi.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 34
Interesting read thanks for the post

I notice the facade brace is in a diamond pattern,with diamonds within larger diamonds.I am no engineer but I believe this is a very strong arrangement of bracing

SF Admin

I have long since had a passing interest in the cultivation, harvesting, seasoning and the erection of Bamboo Scaffold Structures.

I happened upon an old Book that was published by the Dutch East Indies, the Book was writen by Duch Engineers and included many hand drawn illustrations of Bamboo Structures that the indiginouse people had been contracted to erect for the Duch East Indies Company i.e. Bridges, Form Work, Temporary Building and many more far to numerouse to mention, the illustrations were not that far removed from our modern day configerations.

Given that the natural organic properties, strength and atributes are on a par and indeed in some respect superseed it's western counter part, is it little wonder that it is still alive and kicking ?. Furthermore, I have had unconfirmed reports that a hybread may be under research in the form of Bamboo lengths with a metalic coupling.

In this time of Global Environmental concerns and Orginisations Duties to Lower their Carbon Foot Print Bamboo appears to win hand down in comparison to smelting metalic tube, however, in reality given the cultivation time and the seven year seasoning of Bamboo prior to service bamboo could never satisfy the Global Demand.

Top Bottom