help with scaffold design course

meek

Reaction score
hi all i am thinking about doing a scaffolding design course i am looking at what courses to take
part 2 scaff 10 years exp

haha jakdan, the best thing about being as thick as fook is they don't see it coming.;)

Meek...

Meek,

There are no scaffold design courses you can just do and become a scaffold designer.. its an aspect of civil engineering so you need to look at becoming a civil or structural engineer and then applying your scaffolding knowledge once you have mastered the necessary engineering principles. But to do the job properly thats just the beginning.

I wrote a post to woodster who asked me a similar thing. I tried to explain briefly what you need to do:

Woodster...

As AOM pointed out, the article on our website answers a lot of questions.. but here are a few points for you to consider (its not meant to put you off, I'm just giving you my honest opinion):

1. You need to know the relevant codes of practice inside out: BS EN 12811-1, TG20:08, BS EN 1991-1, BS 5975 are the main ones for starters. Get a copy of these and start reading, then read them again. I suggest starting with 12811 and tg20.

2. You need the engineering skills to successfully perform the task. As a minimum this will require you studying an HNC. I would suggest studying to BEng level as you do not get a good grounding in associated civil engineering principles at HNC. The requirements of CDM for example are not covered and these are the laws you must abide by.

3. Designing scaffolding is an amalgamation of practical scaffolding and engineering knowledge - putting these principles together successfully is the hardest part of the job. The easiest way to learn this is to find yourself a position within a company where you are working for an experienced design engineer who can guide you step by step through all the aspects of design.

4. You will need the ability to produce clear and accurate design drawings (a very important skill - see the 'reading design drawings thread). So you will need the ability to use a CAD program. There are plenty out there, the most common of which is AutoCAD. If you worked in a design office chances are they would be using AutoCAD. If not, get yourself a copy and take some courses or use online tutorials (AutoCAD LT costs around £1100 per license). Using AutoCAD is a skill in itself, CAD draftsmen are highly sought after and it takes quite a bit of practice to get proficient.

5. You will need a way or producing design calculations. This can be pen and paper, MS word, MS excel, CADS do a program for writing them.. theres quite a few options here. But its the content thats important.. you have to work out what needs to go in them and what is relevant where, what to check, which codes to reference etc. This is where the guidance of an experienced engineer is so so valuable.

An important point about calculations. These are VITAL to every design, its not just a drawing that forms a design - the calculations prove what you draw on paper will work. Without harping on about courts and ass covering, the calcs are the things that will allow you to sleep at night when it's blowing a gale outside!

6. Practice. Plenty of it.

There are plenty of other skills you need; project management, communication, health & safety knowledge and awareness for example but I've written enough already and seen as I've been up drinking and watchin rugby since 7am I'm calling it a day now.

I hope the above helps you appreciate whats involved and give you some food for thought.

B.

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

AOM.. now I read your post... "its on page two".. I took me ages to find that post above, I didn't realise it was on that thread!! cheers mate!

bmb thanks for the info i will read it all tomorrow and tell u how im getting on thanks mate

Top Bottom