Scaffold Design Help (1 Viewer)

LukeH

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a temporary roof with a scaffold off a flat roof at the rear of a building and i have been told it will take a maximum of 1.5 kN/ square metre.
I am struggling to calculate the leg loads, after seeking advice i have been told the leg loads will be about 3kN. So the roof will not take the loads.

Could someone give me some step-by-step help to calculate this for myself.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Luke

Is it not possible to back prop the flat roof? A few acro's spread to support load'

Yeah that will be the plan if the space and use of the room below allows it.

Thing is before we go any firther i need to prove it by means of calcs.

Cheers

whats the standard spacings ?? 2m is that where the figure of 3kn per leg comes from

Luke,
you need to be talking to an engineer with a view to getting a design for this.
It is also a requirement in TG20.

With regards the flat roof you would also need to consider the roof construction timber/concrete/hollo pot etc.
Whilst the roof may take a a UDL of 1.5kN/mSq you will be applying a point load reaction from your standard.

Just as a quick thought:
on average your temp roof structure will weigh around 0.2kN/mSq The imposed load will be around 0.75kN/mSq then you will need to add the self weight of the support scaffold.
All of the above (around 1kN/mSq will come down your scaffold leg into the roof as a point load.
Now consider the existing roof will need to support its own weight plus whatever imposed load it was designed for (snow etc) before you stick your scaffold on it.

Back to the roof construction irrespective of the backpropping will the roof take the punching load or the crushing, ie if a hollow pot or a timber joist will you punch through between the ribs or joists or will the fabric crush under the load.

Get yourself an engineer mate
regards
Alan

Top Bottom