insurance

numbnuts

Reaction score
im on a job (self emp,labour only)been here 14mth,never had a problem,till friday.then the brickies labourer puts his foot between some boards,knee deep in a second.the brickie asked me if i had insurance that covered accidents,hes after claiming.i told him no,i erected the scaffold to the brickies and site bosses spec,ie,two inch betwwen wall and inside boards,(two/three.)what had happened is the boards had moved to the wall,leaving a four inch gap.i told them about the risk of it happening,but was told to do as they want.how would i stand if he carrys on.:evil:

Who pays you and does your pay go through an umbrella company?

I'm sticking my neck out but I'd say the main contractor was responsible. Any claims should be made on their insurance.

If the shoe was on the other foot and brickies labourer dropped a brick on your head, they would be telling you to sort it out with the main contractors insurance company

As they are the main contractor and have ownership of the scaffold tell the brickie to try and claim off them

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Dass beat me to it

One point that you should bear in mind is that the Inland Revenue don't think you are self employed if you don't have some form of public liability insurance.

Right again Swifty,self employed should have public liabilty at least.Its a sue culture we live in now. Perhaps a lesson here for all to clip inside boards.

company i wrk for had same thing happen last year tried to claim off us told brickie to claim off builder now we put 2 clips on inside boards now

cheers lads,mind resting easy for now.by the way,how much is public liability ins .

Probably you PL would be around £500, if inside boards can move they must be secured

never really needed to fasten them down,its these boards were on the fleet behind the loading bay,so got used a lot,and fork truck probly pushed them inwards.there fault for not listening to me in first place.:D

One point that you should bear in mind is that the Inland Revenue don't think you are self employed if you don't have some form of public liability insurance.

It all depends on what capacity you are employed in; try not and think of it as what the tax man defines you as
as of 2009 there is only two definitiions of contractor, PAYE and Bona Fide. this is purely a reference to how you are paid and who is responsible for TAX - not related to insurance.
Insurers will still categorise under three banners, PAYE, Labour Only and Bona fide and use the below as a general rule
PAYE - directly employed staff
Labour only (LOSC) - those supervised, controlled and monitored by the 'employer' where a master servant relationship exists. whether materials are supplied or not
Bona Fide (BFSC) - seperatley employed companies or individuals who have complete control over works including supply of labour and material.
any of the above three can hold their own insurance in their own right.

I would advise the subbie to record the incident with the main contractor and his employer; check your status with your 'employer' also and check if they are covering you and more importantly their insurance will also.
any Questions just ask.

Mine cost approx £300 this year. Thats for a million quids worth of cover

Top Bottom