New Lunch Atop A Skyscraper Heron Tower!

E

essex

Construction’s most famous photo was recreated by workers during construction of the Heron Tower in the City of London.

The 2011 version of the photograph was taken by 61-year-old Michael Crompton from Southampton, who persuaded 11 workmates to climb out along a girder, 800ft in the air, to eat their lunch – just like to iconic 1932 image Lunch Atop A Skyscraper of New York steel erectors taking a break.

Mr Crompton told The Sun newspaper: "We changed it slightly — one of the workers had a can of cider in our shot, while in the original they had a bottle of whisky. And underneath our coats we all have harnesses and lanyards. But it was almost minus 10°C out there on the 48th floor and a few of the lads were telling me to hurry up."

Site bosses from main contractor Skanska were kept in the dark.

2011 Photo

1318229712_lunch-1.jpg

1932 Photo

700x0_1318229712_lunch-atop-a-skyscraper-c1932.jpg

What 1 do you prefer?

I saw this in the paper the other day.I think I prefer the original, as you know they arent clipped on.

Excellent picture.

"Site bosses from main contractor Skanska were kept in the dark."
I bet they wasn't happy about it, as they never got a backhander, lol.

If it was also black and white, like the 1930 picture, id look pukka. :)
I actually have that 1930 one in my front room, its my favourite all time picture.

Oi!!! I cited this one in my blurb about the Higher Vision Competition!!!

Great pic... it's what we are looking for, as long as H&S is adhered to!

Thing is hard hats are to protect you head from falling objects so what's the need at hight. If you fall they fall off

Excellent picture.

"Site bosses from main contractor Skanska were kept in the dark."
I bet they wasn't happy about it, as they never got a backhander, lol.

If it was also black and white, like the 1930 picture, id look pukka. :)
I actually have that 1930 one in my front room, its my favourite all time picture.

There you go Jason, Black and White version as requested

Attachments

• scaff-forum-tower-image.jpg
    scaff-forum-tower-image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 565
got one of 8 of us on the alba platform extreme south project going out on the first section of the new steel to take the cantilevered module.
the safe scandinavia flottel is being towed into position in the background.
if i ever get round to learning to type with more than 1 finger i will endeavour to post it

here goes get ready to slag if it doesnt work
it worked dont ask me to make it bigger
editing this cause i canny remember the names without looking at the photo
robbie holland borro,adam millburn inver Gordon,alex(shutdoon)broon grangemouth,craig watret(daftscaff)glasgow,mark haake liverpool,ian shotgun macdonald edinbugger,paul logan glasgow,ian clarke liverpool,bob jepson lincoln.
a finer body of men you couldnt meet,i took the photo

Attachments

• empire_state_b_w.jpg
    empire_state_b_w.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Funny jason, that is without doubt my favourite picture of all time also and have a copy of it as well but the Mrs won't let me put it up even although it was her that bought it for me, women eh. The second one is a poor comparison as anything staged always is but adding the black and white did improve it so good call and thanks admin.

Well Happy, are they scaffs, I certainly don't recognise any off them but it looks a few years ago now, was that you in your hey day?

i am a wee bit into the nelsons and lost all interest after loading a picture so i added the names on the photo post and yes they are all scaffolders,and very good ones at that i may add

the scaffs on the ALBA platform beats them all

post a pic then daftscaff

here goes get ready to slag if it doesnt work
it worked dont ask me to make it bigger
editing this cause i canny remember the names without looking at the photo
robbie holland borro,adam millburn inver Gordon,alex(shutdoon)broon grangemouth,craig watret(daftscaff)glasgow,mark haake liverpool,ian shotgun macdonald edinbugger,paul logan glasgow,ian clarke liverpool,bob jepson lincoln.
a finer body of men you couldnt meet,i took the photo

and that is a wicked picture mate

cheers essex,as stated all good scaffs and not a harness in sight just couldnt smuggle the cups of tea and the sandwiches out ;)

since when did scaffs really give a feck about the OIMs thouhgts
we were all grown men and knew the consequences and to be honest with the blown up version hanging proudly above the fireplace i have to say it was worth it ;)

Top Bottom