Have They Changed Your Tax Code?

BetterTAX

Reaction score
Many of our clients have been calling, confused by these letters. Whether you've had a letter or not, we recommend you read the following as it could affect you later.

If you are at all concerned, call us.

Many tradesmen (to our knowledge predominantly scaffolders) have received letters from HMRC informing them that their tax code has changed to reflect the expenses they incur. Clearly this sounds great initially as your pay packet will suddenly increase , however it is fraught with problems further down the road (explained in more detail below) – it can be stopped and if done quickly enough it will not end up in a debt situation for you (and most interestingly if the debt is £300 or less, the guidance for HMRC internally is that they write it off), please read the following in order to understand why this new move from HMRC is not good for you.

This change in PAYE tax code is supposed to reflect the fact that expenses have and are continuosly being incurred in your profession.
However the massive oversight is that HMRC have decided that this level of expense will remain a constant, and yet you all know that it will not.
Now I’m not casting aspersions, I’d like to think that HMRC may well have done this for all the right reasons and had not at all envisaged that it will create major problems and probably much hardship for you and your family further down the road, however their debt collection, fines and interest charging regime is quite draconian and un-bending, and call me cynical but it looks like a way to punish those working men that had the audacity to claim their rightful expenses and whose future potential problems (due to this measure) will act as a deterrent to any others thinking that they had at least equal rights as men to the expense loving MP’s, the heavily pensioned Public Servants and the expense claiming, lavish lifestyle representatives we have working for “us” in Europe all paid for and expensed by our tax pounds.

Here are the constants
and effectively why this new change can never be accurate let alone work in your favour: -
The classic record of a scaffolder over a 3 year period is that
• he will work for at least two employers and as many as six,
• he will be based at a minimum of two sites and as many as 15
• the expenses he will incur can and almost always will differ greatly
• He will sometimes be able to take advantage of a company vehicle or the wagon and yet other times may/will be required to use his own vehicle
• the distances involved will vary dramatically and ultimately again the expenses associated will also differ greatly from year to year.

Ultimately this means that It is highly likely that there will be the wrong amount of tax paid come year end!

With this policy that HMRC are adopting (mainly down to a new piece of software they have acquired) the odds will now favour that there will be an underpayment by you... this means that HMRC will either adjust your tax code again to reflect the underpaid tax (thereby clawing it back in lumps every month and obviously reducing your pay packet ) or if it is over £2000, their own rules will dictate that they demand the debt to be paid straightaway.
It is worth noting that if it is not paid then under the HMRC system you will be marked down as a ‘Wont Pay’ and automatic fines will be charged, to add insult to injury HMRC will then charge interest on the total. They then hand the debt into the hands of the HMRC appointed debt collectors who have the power to turn up between “sunrise & sunset” demand immediate payment or they can distrain any and all your possessions (including your vehicle) the only thing they cannot seize are the tools of your trade.

If you are a client of ours, we can stop HMRC doing this if you want us to, but we need instruction from you i.e. a phone call, email or a PM.

At the end of the year we will help you calculate your correct expenses and claim your overpaid tax for you, thereby ensuring that you are not trundling unknowingly towards a debt that is wholly the making of HMRC and it’s ‘cute’ practice.

Thought it was just me Flinty,

the post is a bit ambiguous, but I think it is saying that the revenue is upping your personal allowance to take account of your expenses and better Tax is afraid that you will have underpaid Tax at the end of the year and the bad old tax man will demand payment at once and fine you if you do not pay up :eek:

Bit of an alarmist post I think,trying to drum up a bit of trade mayhap

Tax is just legalised Daylight Robbery

It doesn't matter what political party is in government at any time......all they want is your money.........

Then they will spend it how they wish and tell you that it is for your own good......as they p1ss it up against the wall, enjoying their free holidays at our expense, and giving billions.... yes, billions .... to so called 3rd world countries (some of which have space and nuclear programmes...like India) while all the time telling us that we must accept cutbacks because we are so much in debt................

Next thing in line will be a scheme to stop the euro collapsing (although we are not part of it) and shouldn't even be in the EU :mad:

Tax Collectors....I would hang them all.....next to the politicians :nuts:

your bang on rigger,and yerseld charlie though with answers like that you will probably find the post being binned to the forum pub.

I spoke to BetterTax as soon as i read this thread.
They sorted my problem out straight away.

Thanks to Roger and everyone else at BetterTax for yet again putting themselves out to help me and others out.

I recommend them to everyone i speak to. :)

your bang on rigger,and yerseld charlie though with answers like that you will probably find the post being binned to the forum pub.

only off topic posts get put in the forum pub!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jason, much appreciated by us all here mate :)
Thought it was just me Flinty,

the post is a bit ambiguous, but I think it is saying that the revenue is upping your personal allowance to take account of your expenses and better Tax is afraid that you will have underpaid Tax at the end of the year and the bad old tax man will demand payment at once and fine you if you do not pay up :eek:

Bit of an alarmist post I think,trying to drum up a bit of trade mayhap
Hi Rigger,
I was trying to make the problem as clear as possible, I didn't succeed as well as I might've so apologies for any percieved ambiguity.

But yes you get exactly what I'm trying to get across although you managed to say it far more clearly :) thanks for that mate. And yes I suppose it is perhaps alarmist, but if I could've attached an audible alarm to the post I reckon I would've.

However, I am at a loss as to how it would be a vehicle that helps drum up any trade for us. I'm sure you'll agree that all the people in this office putting in the extra man-hours to rectify this problem as quickly and for as many clients as possible whilst also getting the information out there to warn those that aren't our customers does not generate income.

I've just got off the phone from the lady that runs the payroll for a firm of 35 scaffolders. She is very concerned for they guys and unfortunately we can only get involved and change the codes back for 12 of them as the others are not our clients and she can't change the codes back because she is not authorised and she has to do wages tomorrow and she called me to express her concern for the obvious problems it's going to cause these guys at the end of the tax year.

So just to bring the problem into focus:
I spoke with a client yesterday for whom we did 4 years backdated expenses, he recieved just over £2000 for the 4 years, HMRC in their wisdom have changed his tax code to a personal allowance of nearly £10,000 before he pays tax - ergo their sexy new software cannot even distinguish between one year's expenses and four year's worth of expenses... it is clear that this man will definately have a bill of circa £1500 that he owes the tax man... you and I can do that in our heads, but HMRC can't... go figure:blink1:

Best regards,
Roger

better tax i know we may have crossed swords in the past but this is no vendetta as far as im concerned,but is the tax code change not the tax mans way of getting his money back.
correct me and im sure you will if im wrong.
this is the reason why im very wary of tax rebates/maybe scared

better tax i know we may have crossed swords in the past but this is no vendetta as far as im concerned,but is the tax code change not the tax mans way of getting his money back.
correct me and im sure you will if im wrong.
this is the reason why im very wary of tax rebates/maybe scared

Hi Happyhugeneot,
There’s no problem between us and it’s a good question ...& I certainly understand how you feel.As far I’m concerned life teaches me that my natural disposition should be both optimistic and yet cautious.

But In answer to your question the shortest and most correct answer would be ‘it’s not the taxman’s money, it’s your money!’ :)

HMRC are perceived by the working man through a miasma of fear, and for reasons known only to them they continue to maintain its negative effect over the normal working classes, assigning special teams to niggle and pick at the listed expense of perhaps a toolbelt or some frogs... we run around trying to justify a £10 expense on this or £15 expense on that,

...all the while they distract us and instill more fear when really we should as the working class and tax payer all be saying “Oi, Mr Tax Man... Barclays announced £3.4 Billion profit last year and yet they paid no tax, why don’t you assign a special team to them?”
:mad:

barclays bank payed no tax.
obviously you wont be able to explain why they didnt pay any tax last year,but please better tax can you tell me the shiete excuse for not paying any taxes.
good post anyway

barclays bank payed no tax.
obviously you wont be able to explain why they didnt pay any tax last year,but please better tax can you tell me the shiete excuse for not paying any taxes.
good post anyway
I have to make an admission of error first in that I miss-typed their amount of profit, it was actually £11.6BN, but it is also worth noting that I was wrong about them not paying any tax too, they did in fact pay tax, oh yes Barclays did pay tax on its profits…

it was a whole 1%, yep you read that right they paid ‘One Percent’ tax!

Apparently it was able to offset it due to previous losses and other taxes it pays for overseas operations.:embarrest:

The spokesman said The corporate tax affairs of an organisation with the global footprint of Barclays are complex and not reducible to simplistic comparisons; any link between Barclays Group profits and the amount of tax paid to the UK Government is inappropriate - there is no direct correlation between the two … Ahhh I see, so it’s us that’s stupid for thinking think they should pay the same tax as us for its 32% rise in profits (Barclays paid out £3bn in bonuses alone in 2010 BTW). :notrust:

Last edited:
its a disgrace the way these corporate giants get away with robbing the public purse,while wee cammy tells us we are all in this together.
the power companies screwing us all with record price rises because they claim that the price of buying gas has went up yet they still produce massive profit increase.ofgem are going to come down hard on them by making tariffs easier to understand NOTHING LIKE HITTING THEM WERE IT HURTS:eek:

I was just reading about the huge profits the energy companies are making on each of us. Perhaps Chris Huhne could take on the petrol companies next...?

I was just reading about the huge profits the energy companies are making on each of us. Perhaps Chris Huhne could take on the petrol companies next...?

I honestly don't think the energy companies are doing that much wrong. I think it worked out that they were making 10% profit margin on each customer? That doesn't seem excessive to me.

how much of a rise did the german,french and spanish owned energy producers inflict on their own people no were near the same sorts of rises we in the UK had to cope with.as for the couple of british suppliers we all know that british firms dont give a toss for their own people.
the whole energy sector in UK is a monopoly and in my my own opinion there is no real competition as 1 raises its price,the others follow suite with the same rises.:mad:

Just bumping this up and bringing it back on topic.

We are getting calls all day long from clients who are receiving these letters from HMRC changing tax codes.

Just to reiterate:

HMRC have looked at PAYE codings, alongside legitimate expense claims and decided that your tax code should reflect your expenses claim... which may be all well & good if that claim is exactly the same each year and even based on one years worth of previous claim.

Expenses, as you all know, differ greatly from year to year and we are very concerned that come next year, when your claim wasn't as much but your code expected it to be a certain amount, you will be in a money owing situation with possible penalties.

The whole idea is ridiculous.

So, if you get a letter, don't just stick your head in the sand & hope it goes away... HMRC, like a bad smell, rarely does!

This isn't just happening to our clients, btw...

Thanks for the tip Bettertax, my tax code did change but I just filed the notice as usual and did nothing about it. I will now get on to the accountant to chase up while I try and find out who Barclays use as I fancy retiring next year.:cool:

Top Bottom