which impact gun ? (1 Viewer)

myser

Reaction score
as i understand it i dont want an impact gun that runs any tighter than 50 pn so that wont annoy all non impact users as fittings too tight .. which one shall i get ?which are others favorites ? read on this forum that hilti making one but only one i can find from them runs at 116 nm .. have seen some very small wrenches with small batteries are these any good .. just get few extra batteries for the day perhaps ..
hands are bit knackered so need a new option without hanging up belt ..

there has been a argument about those impact wrenches.

how tight they do the fittings up ,

its like saying 9st bloke with small arms
16st brick ***** house with big f/o arms
the point to watch out for is not the kn on erecting
its the amount of nuts you spin off the end of the threads on striking

for some reason the thread ends are not burred any more

a few lads i know got there selves drills because all the fittings are getting wound right out to the end of there threads , and the nuts are stuck or even missing

the yard manager is getting the arse about it too
lots of fittings with bits missing

back too what you said
you get the feel for the drill/impact wrench when erecting and you will no how long too hold it on the double /single/etc just like a spanner you no when too put the extra turn on a fitting

doing a truss out in nttm for pigeon netting , finished the job, seen the bloke coming up the stairs 25st . went back to the job and put a few extra turns on the checks , lol

cheers tinthorn .. so which are the favorite impact wrenches people are using , can someone post up some links pls ..

iv got a hilti 1 seen a makita 1 to which i think is less powerful but in my opinion the hilti 1 is better i hire it for for £3.51 a week and to be honest it does do them tight but not crazy like bud

impact gun's !!!!!!!!!! this may be me thinking diffrent to every one on here but a cant see this being the way forward ! would u buy one to use ? do u own one ?
please let me u know how u feel about them ! coz it would take alot to even work with some one using them ! i have never worked with any 1 who use's them or even talked about using them !

iam with you on this one too paddy but will say ive never tried one so cant comment on the use of one never seen one on the industrial curcuit being used dont even no what they look like to be honnest!!!!

can anyone post some links for suitable impact guns .. i,v looked at the hilti and spoken to a few users that sing there praises .. is there anything smaller lighter on the market ..

---------- Post added at 07:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

most people use the 14v guns .. does anyone know about the smaller 8-10v guns are these any good .. how long would batterie last with these ? seem alot smaller and lighter ..

Myser, there are two or three threads in the tools and ppe section where all the information you need to know. I would add that all information given is a maximum and based on perfect fittings and tube so any IW that states a maximum of 50nm is just not up to the job I would say, also the volts is not the main concern of the battery it's the AH or so I'm told, get the highest rating you can afford and you wont go wrong. I believe Hilti are trying to get a gun that cuts off at 50nm but to be honest if you checked all your fittings on your job I would bet they were all torqued different anyway. I use the Makita and find it the bomb.

That's the very baby Myser, a weapon of mass destruction. I gave it to one of the boy's doing his advanced course at the NCC, when all the instructors heard it they all came running over to tell him he couldn't use it as he couldn't prove the torque values so he fired a few doubles on and told them to see if they could get them tighter and they couldn't. As with everything it takes a bit to get used to, how long to lighten it and the like, I think it was Redviking who still likes to give each fitting a bite with the spanner after each run of the gun but after a bit I got bored as every one was tightened correctly. The long and short of it is I would recommend this tool but there will always be dissenting voices trying to tell you they are not fit for purpose as the torque is not measured but for me my wrist has been used as an unregulated torque wrench for years and nobody complained about that. As I said before, especially if you are on price you are really missing a trick the longer you go without getting this or similar tool.

what about this .. looks smaller and lighter usier size to use me thinks .. may need couple of extra batteries for the day but dont mind that .. does to 110nm so should be tight enough .. anyone ?

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

sorry forgot link
Makita TW100DWE 10.8V Li-Ion Cordless 3/8'' Impact Wrench (2 x 1.3Ah Batteries) (TW-100-DWE)

It would be ok for very light occasional use , but not for everyday prolonged use . The motor would get very hot very quickly as you would be pushing it to the limit with every use and you would be changing the battery every 45 mins , imo it would be better to get a 14.4v or 18v with 3.0 ah batteries , better to have plenty of power and not need it than to be on the limit all the time .

cheers topscaff ... been looking for a 21mm socket what length socket do people use, do they use the extra long one ? ( about 80mm long ) , i tried the short one available (40mm) but too short to get to nut .. is there something inbetween on the market ?.. just thought the 80mm looked a bit long for the job .. also wanted bi-hex not regular .. halfords do a 80mm long one .. is that what i want ..
cheers ..

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

i have just come across one on a website advertised as scaffolders socket and is 52mm long but not bi-hex ... anyone know where can get bi-hex in around that length .. ?
Beesleys Tool Shop UK. Main dealer for Dremel, Proxxon, Trend, Makita, Lamello, Bosch and more. Makita 21mm Socket 1/2' Drive for Scaffolders

cheers topscaff ... been looking for a 21mm socket what length socket do people use, do they use the extra long one ? ( about 80mm long ) , i tried the short one available (40mm) but too short to get to nut .. is there something inbetween on the market ?.. just thought the 80mm looked a bit long for the job .. also wanted bi-hex not regular .. halfords do a 80mm long one .. is that what i want ..
cheers ..

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

i have just come across one on a website advertised as scaffolders socket and is 52mm long but not bi-hex ... anyone know where can get bi-hex in around that length .. ?
Beesleys Tool Shop UK. Main dealer for Dremel, Proxxon, Trend, Makita, Lamello, Bosch and more. Makita 21mm Socket 1/2' Drive for Scaffolders

why bi hex? they dont last 5 minutes and i would imagine even less on a IW?

cheers ..

I ended up buying an 80mm deep socket and cutting 20mm off with an angle grinder , cheers for the heads up on the 52mm though ... will be ordering one myself :)

impact gun? are quikfit doin scaffolding now.

you wont get shitter than a quikfit fitter.

what next?

Top Bottom