pricing a birdcage/support help (1 Viewer)

luis211

Reaction score
Can some one help me out with some formulas for estimating an internal birdcage to support a gable end 12m long,(gable) 18m wide(internal) 11m high???
fascade retention!!

Luis,
If the birdcage is going to be used to support part of the building, these days you should have a drawing. Until you have a drawing its going to be awkward to price because you don't know what the engineer is going to specify.

I've seen birdcages before being used in the same way and some have had the standards encased in concrete up to 1.5m high and double braced etc.

Sorry can't really tell you much more :confused:

You cant really get a drawing 1st. Who would invest money in design before securing the job. If you are unsure of what would be contained in the scaffold, sketch the scaffold you think you will erect, scan and email to your design engineer and if he thinks that's about right your in with a price. No one can tell you how to price because it is built up on items you have not mentioned. However if you could pitch up right outside the building and if there was no nasties to surprise you I would be looking about £8 m3. So 12 x 18 x 11 x 10 = £19,008. Work that back to the the labour levels you estimate and make a commercial decision.

[However if you could pitch up right outside the building and if there was no nasties to surprise you I would be looking about £8 m3. So 12 x 18 x 11 x 10 = £19,008. Work that back to the the labour levels you estimate and make a commercial decision.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum, your maths works out at £23,760.00 not £19,008,00 as stated :wondering::wondering:

[However if you could pitch up right outside the building and if there was no nasties to surprise you I would be looking about £8 m3. So 12 x 18 x 11 x 10 = £19,008. Work that back to the the labour levels you estimate and make a commercial decision.

Welcome to the forum, your maths works out at £23,760.00 not £19,008,00 as stated :wondering::wondering:[/QUOTE]

i dont think the 10 should be included? m3 is 3 dims x £8:nuts:
thats the way i picked it up

Either way, err on the side of caution like everyone else and put the bigger price in.;)

Either way, err on the side of caution like everyone else and put the bigger price in.;)

Agreed aom but then along comes bodgitt and scarper who have`nt a clue about what they are doing and they go in at £4.00m3, you lose a goood job and they fxxk it up as normal :confused::confused:

I priced a job a year ago for a mob who rarely ask me to price anything, as per usual they ignore my price and do it themselves with yellow jelly. To be fair to the boy's that built it, they obviously did what they could with the gear they had and it looked tidy enough in the passing but well in to the job an hse inspector called on site and the problems began. I spoke to the boss a couple of weeks ago who told me he wished he had went with my quote which in hind sight was good value. I am now on one of his jobs at the moment and have a drawer full of his drawings to price. The point in all that is the bodgers will not survive in the long term.

Everyone who sees Scaffolding up thinks: "That looks easy, i can do that."
Until they actually do...
Thats why so many people 'try' Scaffolding only to flop after about 2 weeks.

When are people gonna realise that its a professional trade and that they should let the professional Scaffolders do it? :idea:

Rant coming on!

It makes me laugh, tbh.
If you have dodgy wiring in your house, do you tinker about with it yourself and risk almost certain death?
No... you call in a Sparky to do it for you.
Because Electricity is 'dangerous'.

But need Scaffolding and every: Tom, Diick and Harry, thinks they can do it, because the risk of certain death is less and its apparently easy to slap tubes together?

More people die from working at height (ie: Scaffolding) then anything else in Construction.
People need to be educated, if you ask me - because they aint half fukking stupid. :mad:

Rant Over.

luis211 what do you estimate your labour cost to be on this job?

Top Bottom