ban impact wrenches (1 Viewer)

g-scaff

Reaction score
was told today i could not use an impact wrench on a bellways job unless the wrench was mentioned in the method statement. safety officers main grievance was the possibility of over tighteneing the nuts. having no information to hand i was banging my head against the wall trying to explain that i have never checked how tight i did up a fitting with a spanner or a wrench. does anyone have information on how tight a double should be done up.:sad:

Impact Wrenches are shiite...

But, if you must use one, there might be someone with info on fitting strength and bolt resistances and stuff, but ive never seen anything.

Can't retain information in my head Gscaff so read the couple of threads about them it's all in there.

Impact Wrenches are shiite...

But, if you must use one, there might be someone with info on fitting strength and bolt resistances and stuff, but ive never seen anything.

jason, have you ever met a scaff who has one, and does not use it, just a thought :wondering:

As you already know g-scaff, they are the future.:cool:

50Nm of pressure. Unless otherwise stated.

Looking into a purpose built tool for the job.

Over tightening can be dangerous:(

Stewart

Sorry!!

Last edited:
Ahh, thats better, gave you a chance to correct me lol.

Ragscaff,sent you a pm.!!

As stated in previous threads the Impact Wrenches available in the Market place are not fit for purpose for erecting due to the high Torque Values ranging from 150 to 248, however, they are great for dismantling.

Hilti are R & D an Impact Wrench with a Torque limiter to deliver 50, this will comply with B.S. and Manufacturers Recommendations...

---------- Post added at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Have a wee butchers of post 101 on thread calling all impact wrench...

nae si daftscaff

Aye, going round the bend :eek:---the penny still hasnae dropped wi the Manufacturers yet regarding the 50 deployment, fit for purpose---Hilti is the nearest to achieving the B. S. and Manufacturers Recommendations...

like flogging a dead horse :nuts:

Got a Pannasonic impact wrench which has adjustable torque levels. The manual states 50nm setting is for scaffolding fittings. Told this to safety man and he f**cked off.:laugh:

gannit

what type of I W have you got ???

Gar...

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

what setting has it got ???

Garry, got a panasonic EY7547. Torque settings are 200nm, 140nm and 50nm.

I think the Torque values that are stated for each individual impact wrench should be taken with a very large pinch of salt , i doubt very much that they are all tested using identical equipment and guidelines ( i could well be wrong here , but i am guessing that each brand test their own kit using a perfect nut & bolt that is lubricated to perfection and the take the highest figure achieved for marketing purposes etc. ) I have tried a few wrenches in the past 18 months and tested them myself with a torque wrench as i was initially concerned that all my pressed fittings would be stretched/flattened etc .

The Makita BTW251RFE has a rating of 230nm max but in real use it was nowhere near this figure ( on a scaffold fitting ) , i was getting pretty consistent figures of 55 - 65 nm on a variety of fittings and could possibly hit 75nm if facing downhill with a helping breeze . It was pointless attempting to use the Makita to strip a job that had been put up with a Hilti Wrench as it did not budge 90% of it ( the lads who use these erect on low setting 115nm ish and dismantle on high setting 155nm ish ) . Testing the Hilti with the torque wrench was a lot closer to the stated values , but , still some way below - 80nm on low and 105 - 110nm on high .

Once you have checked the torque a few times and gotten used to using the wrench it is a piece of piss to get very near to the 50nm target and i would put my house on it that it is more consistent than using a spanner.

I am using a Milwaukee at the moment that is rated at 248nm max and i doubt very much it would manage half of that in the real world.

It does make me chuckle when those who should know better ( site agents etc ) look at something like the max torque of a tool and immediately dismiss it as not fit for the job , i have a car that will do over 130mph so using the same theory as these numpties that have banned using a wrench on site - i can`t drive it on a 60mph A road as it is not fit for purpose . If these site agents actually took a torque wrench and tested a selection of fittings that Jason and his fellow non-believers :p have fastened by hand there would be a greater variation in torque values than between those of us who don`t live in denial and embrace the impact wrench ;)

Top Scaff

Yet another great piece of informative works and as you have identified the regimented calibration of torque values lay at the heart of the success or failure of the Impact Wrench.

I have had several telephone call with the Hilti Head of R & D and the main concern is the guarantee of the specified torque---Hilti are concerned that if they say that they can deliver 50 on deployment of a coupler and it fails to apply the necessary friction stress of 50 > they may be liable for non-compliance, it's all about mitigation eh.

As for applying / testing the torque on a new and oiled coupler, if an Impact Wrench were to be used on new couplers from the outset, then this would maintain the optimum life span of a coupler ???.

It is obvious that there will be a degree of resistance places upon the torque if there is rust, thread burst, bolt creep or washer compression, however, all of the aforementioned could be construed as an Un Serviceable coupler under the PUWER Regs !

Top Bottom