Scaffolder to Scaffold Designer

BMB

Reaction score
Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago we ran a news article on our website regarding the transition from a scaffolder to a scaffold designer. The article was a Q&A with one of our team who is currently going through the process himself. As it is a question I/we are asked quite a lot I thought it may be of interest to some of you who are thinking of doing the same.

Scaffolder to Scaffold Designer - How do you do it?

Very interesting BMB, and the good thing is he shouldn't have too much trouble forgetting all he learned on the spanners after only 8 years.

I would say for most the last point to be very pertinent, the wage cut and the time spent back in education. If it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Good luck to the fella and well done for bringing it to the forum.

i also think alot more scaffs should take this route rather than the (NEBOSH HOLY GRAIL) i wish i had, the way things are going good design engineers will be hard to find and will be very busy men.

good luck to Andrew

You're right jakdan definitely a growth industry. The biggest obstacle that I can see is giving up the cash to start with, you will obviously make it back but you get to a point in your life where you just cant afford to turn back.

100% agree.

Apart from the odd few ive seen: Including - Mark Hacket and Jonny 'Love' Martindale from TRAD back in the day, i aint known many other Scaffolders who have moved into this line of work.

I actually sorta started out as kinda an Apprentice Engineer, before being asked* to go out onto site as a Scaffolding Labourer...
And theres times that i wish i wasn't asked* and that i was allowed to carry on learning the CAD system - as i liked it alot. :)

I think more should have a go at Scaffolding Engineering, as it'll make our lives easier out on site, having someone making the drawings up, who understands Scaffolding and what it can/cant do.

*asked = Forced/Bullied by Des Moore. :mad:

I made the move from site work to design office in 1974, take home went from 135 to 17 as week. Still in the game still not sure if I should have made the move or not?

Hi Fred
Kevin tells me he has replied and was intending to call you when he gets to Oz.
Let me know if you have missed his mails
regards
Alan

becoming a scaffold designer

hi can any1 help me i want to make the transition from scaffolder to scaffold designer can any 1 tell me what qualifications i need/ courses and where to purchase autocad for scaffolding from?
many thanks

Hi woodster, did you look at the link posted by bmb? I think it's pretty much all there, you could pm either original poster or Alan Reade who have obviously done it all already. I think they will tell you however there is a lot of work to do before you purchase anything like a degree in engineering for a start.

Good luck though.

Woodster...

As AOM pointed out, the article on our website answers a lot of questions.. but here are a few points for you to consider (its not meant to put you off, I'm just giving you my honest opinion):

1. You need to know the relevant codes of practice inside out: BS EN 12811-1, TG20:08, BS EN 1991-1, BS 5975 are the main ones for starters. Get a copy of these and start reading, then read them again. I suggest starting with 12811 and tg20.

2. You need the engineering skills to successfully perform the task. As a minimum this will require you studying an HNC. I would suggest studying to BEng level as you do not get a good grounding in associated civil engineering principles at HNC. The requirements of CDM for example are not covered and these are the laws you must abide by.

3. Designing scaffolding is an amalgamation of practical scaffolding and engineering knowledge - putting these principles together successfully is the hardest part of the job. The easiest way to learn this is to find yourself a position within a company where you are working for an experienced design engineer who can guide you step by step through all the aspects of design.

4. You will need the ability to produce clear and accurate design drawings (a very important skill - see the 'reading design drawings thread). So you will need the ability to use a CAD program. There are plenty out there, the most common of which is AutoCAD. If you worked in a design office chances are they would be using AutoCAD. If not, get yourself a copy and take some courses or use online tutorials (AutoCAD LT costs around £1100 per license). Using AutoCAD is a skill in itself, CAD draftsmen are highly sought after and it takes quite a bit of practice to get proficient.

5. You will need a way or producing design calculations. This can be pen and paper, MS word, MS excel, CADS do a program for writing them.. theres quite a few options here. But its the content thats important.. you have to work out what needs to go in them and what is relevant where, what to check, which codes to reference etc. This is where the guidance of an experienced engineer is so so valuable.

An important point about calculations. These are VITAL to every design, its not just a drawing that forms a design - the calculations prove what you draw on paper will work. Without harping on about courts and ass covering, the calcs are the things that will allow you to sleep at night when it's blowing a gale outside!

6. Practice. Plenty of it.

There are plenty of other skills you need; project management, communication, health & safety knowledge and awareness for example but I've written enough already and seen as I've been up drinking and watchin rugby since 7am I'm calling it a day now.

I hope the above helps you appreciate whats involved and give you some food for thought.

B.

Nice one BMB, that's what I meant.:amuse:

You mention doing the calculations yourself with pen and paper and I know you have had a big day watching the rugby but is there a couple of simple formula's for working out loads on say a simple beam? When I say simple I mean calc's for dummies.:embarrest:

Hi AOM,
calcs and formula are not the hard part, it is knowing where and why to apply them to the obtain the right result.
As an example: a simple beam span with a UDL may have a simple formula say WL/8 the result is then evaluated against the moment of resistance of the beam however if the chords are not tied at the correct the frequency the result may well be incorrect.

The correct answers to some of these applications may only be obtained when considering the whole structure.

I guess most of the Engineers on here would be able to give you tips and advice but the correct application only comes with time and training.
regards
Alan

AOM,

As Alan says, its the application that is key... knowing how to analyse beams & ledgers say, how to arrange the scaffolding to suit the situation ( eg. minimising bending moments or support reactions) and then correct assessment of load cases.. but I really am just scratching the surface there.

Anyways, a quick google search later and I found this .pdf document: http://www.awc.org/pdf/DA6-BeamFormulas.pdf

Its for timber beam applications but the formula are relevant to any situation.

B.

Yeah Phil, all clear.:embarrest: Glad I never asked for the full explanation.:wondering:

Only kidding guy's, thanks for that but as Philiosmaximus already knew I will just have to stick with lashing them up. I get your point that knowing the formula's is only half the story, what do you make of the Cads system, have any of you used the drawing facility on that and would it be of any use to a beginner?

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

A couple of good sample drawings on your web site BMB, I can understand them no problem.:cool:

trust me Aom just make the scaffold look like the pretty picture thats all i do and all i need to know :)

Your right as usual Phil, just trying to improve my lot by picking the brains of those in the know. Keep it simple stupid.

Top Bottom