Base out & second lift with Harness on ??:noworry: (1 Viewer)

R

ragscaff

I have started this thread out of interest. :bigsmile:

You are erecting a scaffold on a house that is already built. A two lift job, you have been issued a harness that as a 2m lanyard with a 6.75 inertia. The second floor of the building has hanging tiles so you cannot fix any ties so you are to install rakers off the top lift. Woking to SG4.05 using the tunnelling method do you ever need to clip on?

most guys dont

working for a small firm i wouldnt. on a site i would cuz once u jump onto the boarded lift theres no hand rail and also youve got all those office staff watchin ya.:blink1:

funny one.

Although you are not above 4m if passing boards up (if its 2 x2m lifts) you are able to clip on at 4m and there is still a fall. i think it depends on what site your on and who's watching!

in the new health and safety rules(working at height)
you must be clipped on at any height at which you can hurt yourself
it bloody madness,these rules are made up by people who sit in office all day and have never worked on site a day in there lifes

Ragscaff

If it had no returns on i wouldnt clip on, for the simple fact that you stated " no ties till the top lift". There is the potential if you fell or slipped for the whole scaffold to end up on you.

A couple of year ago, i E-mailed the NASC with a similar scenario, regarding 'Newbuild and Putlog scaffolding'. There reply was, Guidance currently being updated, they must have meant TG20:08.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

If when you accessed the top lift, to raker back and handrail etc you could clip on with a Barracuda or Jordan clamp.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Also the manufacturers guidance for a 1.75m lanyard is a min of 6.75 clearence before effective use:sad2:

Ragscaff

If it had no returns on i wouldnt clip on, for the simple fact that you stated " no ties till the top lift". There is the potential if you fell or slipped for the whole scaffold to end up on you.

A couple of year ago, i E-mailed the NASC with a similar scenario, regarding 'Newbuild and Putlog scaffolding'. There reply was, Guidance currently being updated, they must have meant TG20:08.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

If when you accessed the top lift, to raker back and handrail etc you could clip on with a Barracuda or Jordan clamp.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Also the manufacturers guidance for a 1.75m lanyard is a min of 6.75 clearence before effective use:sad2:

Put in tempary rackers till the top ones could be put in

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

in the new health and safety rules(working at height)
you must be clipped on at any height at which you can hurt yourself
it bloody madness,these rules are made up by people who sit in office all day and have never worked on site a day in there lifes

Mightymouse

Your rite these guys probably aint ever been on a site in there lifes there sitting in a warm office with statisic sheets in front of them showing that more injurys happen from falls from a lower height than from high falls from height

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

working for a small firm i wouldnt. on a site i would cuz once u jump onto the boarded lift theres no hand rail and also youve got all those office staff watchin ya.:blink1:

Revup
Does it matter if its a small firm or a big one the fall is still the same if your wearing your harness and fall you mite have a few bumps and bruises and be able to stand in the pub with the gaffer at night and say that was a lucky one he mite even buy you a pint and say good you was wearing your harness.
Or he mite be standing at your bed side in hospital if your lucky enough to survive say sorry mate i have to pay you off for not wearing your harness. Oh and any claim you was thinking of well your on to buttons. sorry if this is a bit strong but its a bad world we live in the companys are only covering there arses

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Fall arrest block instead of your lanyard..

Daz
Best in put to this thread. you have Risk Assessed the job the lanyard is no good use an inetia reel. nice 1

well when i did my shadowing for instructing it was stated to the candidate that he/she must clip on when on 1st lift until handrail was installed but it was also noted that this was a load ov bo**ox.......

average man height .1.8-2mtrs
landyard .1.75mtrs
extra in landyard .1.75mtrs
so 5.5mtrs really is the only way your safe. but somebody like it was said earlier thinks men are only a 1ft tall so sue like hell but clip on.....

the use of advanced guard rail systems may work but price it up and you'll get a massive shock.... 20ft independand with a 13ft return is approx £2500 - £3000 .....

thats why they are introducing the step up devices........

Interesting views.

Point 1/ a 1.75 lanyard should be attached to the ledger above with a 4m clearance. Quoted from SG4. That would then be at least 6m.

Point 2/ The scaffold has to be tied in to ensure optimum stability against overturning.

Point 3/ If you use the tunneling method at this height you will never need to hook on.

So why do we have to wear a last resort piece of kit. As I said to a main contractor Health & Safety officer the other day, 'when you drive home at night in your car do you wear a crash helmit in case your windscreen breaks!!!'

HSE want to get rid of tunneling to an exposed edge. So fit a rail at around 50" slide it along in front of you whilst fitting the correct height handrail behind it. Put that in your method statement & throw away the ball crusher!!:D:D

Top Bottom