Google Earth 3D

You do not need a subscription just download Google Earth the measuring buttons are on the top of the page,look out for a rule :cool:

I use Street view to estimate pavements,access, parking ,height of block and have a nosey around the hood

Last edited:
I'm not sure that you can measure the height of the building unless it's drawn in 3D already... however, I may be wrong.

I often use Bing maps 'birds eye view' for looking at buildings.. you still won't be able to measure stuff but *generally* they are much clearer and you can see all four sides of the building... its pretty handy.

You can also get a measure tool (exactly the same as google earth ruler) on google maps. Just sign in with your google account details and then go to google labs, there are quite a few cool bits that they are developing, one of them is ruler.

Ben.

Tried it boy's and as per usual got nothing.:embarrest:

Looks like Google earth Pro has option to measure height

Google Earth: Google Earth for Businesses

Google Earth Pro - £256 per license , 7 day trial available

Google Earth Pro has additional tools and data-sets specifically for businesses and government employees to make smarter, faster decisions.

New! 3D Measurements of heights, areas and viewsheds
Parcel, traffic and demographic data-sets styled
Built-in tools for viewing GIS data and high-resolution printing
Data import functionality for vector and imagery data-sets
Full Enterprise Licence Agreement and email support
Area and radius measurement tools for quick, on-the-go calculations of the earth

Is that why I got nothing or am I still totally thick?

aom shakinmaheed (again)

Step one OPEN GOOGLE

step two type in search box "GOOGLE EARTH"

step three click download

DO NOT turn off computer during download

have ye na got a seven year old in yer village

sorry

DO NOT turn off computer during download

:DNice one.:D

I take it I'm still thick.:embarrest:

Did all that Rigger and still can't work it out, oh well 140 mile drive to price a job I wont get.:(

haha, it just keeps telling me "Good new's it's already installed on your computer" and then takes me to a navy base in Oregon or some ****. I don't know.

Thanks aom I now have a terrible headache from banging it on my desk :eek:

I,m off ta ma supper then bed, how your guys put up with you is a mystery they must all be bloody Saints :D

Honestly, i'm better on the spanner than the puter.:D

Night night.

Told you I was thick. Think I might get them to put that on my head stone.:wondering:

With a few simple measurements, it's possible to estimate heights with some accuracy. Take a look at the figure below. All you need to know is:

1.your distance from the building
2.your eye height
3.the angle between the ground and the top of the building

Use this formula to calculate the height of the building:

Height = ( tan(angle) x distance ) + eye height

Example: Given a building distance of 25 meters, an angle of 37 degrees, and an eye height of 1.75 meters, the formula would be:

Height = tan(37) x 25m + 1.75m
= 0.75355 x 25m + 1.75m
= 20.6m
sketchup-167464-BuildingHeights-en.jpg

With a few simple measurements, it's possible to estimate heights with some accuracy. Take a look at the figure below. All you need to know is:

2.your eye height

Example: Given a building distance of 25 meters, an angle of 37 degrees, and an eye height of 1.75 meters, the formula would be:

= 0.75355 x 25m + 1.75m
= 20.6m

feck it, I'm only 1.2m tall, there a fecking building 1.5m away and I cant see the top of the building for the trees:cry:

2.your eye height

= 0.75355 x 25m + 1.75m
= 20.6m

If you have a smartphone or iphone, apps such as clinometer are very handy to measure the angle you need. They are also very useful for measuring roof pitches.

FFS, google maps and now an I phone, tan + eye height, if you have any hedex left Rigger I'll take a couple.:unsure:

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Believe it or not I too have a formula for working out the height of a building, especially handy should your smart, I phone or laser break down.....count the joints on the down pipes if they don't have down pipes estimate the measurement of the first floor and multiply by the number of floors(pye:bigsmile:) or scale of the drawing.

FFS, google maps and now an I phone, tan + eye height, if you have any hedex left Rigger I'll take a couple.:unsure:

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Believe it or not I too have a formula for working out the height of a building, especially handy should your smart, I phone or laser break down.....count the joints on the down pipes if they don't have down pipes estimate the measurement of the first floor and multiply by the number of floors(pye:bigsmile:) or scale of the drawing.

count the fukcing bricks:laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom