Hilti Ties

damo6661

Reaction score
Having had a conversation with are designer he has informed me that a new ledgislation is now in place that pull tests on hilti anchors are now to be carried out double the design spec ie if the design states that the hilti has a load of say 6.5kn then you test to 13kn and the min amount of ties tested is 5 on any job, has anyone heard of this ?

yeah me too but with the client there to whitnes had seem to doing to correctly !!!

Had to do a pull test on the galliers shopping centre for interserve and the langs rep was with me total of 70 something in the job so off we set pulled the first 2 out by hand and the rest pulled out a 3-4 kn drawing stated 8kn. What a night mare but just proved a point lads will put anything in but when it come down to it you should test them all if the first 2-3 fail

i agree you should, but if the new regs are right then it seems abit over the top to double the pull test ?

you can laugh, but its not that long ago to which i have seen this ,how about a 12m high external alloy tower tied with string to a gutter bracket ! i must admit they did have 2.4m high outrigers in place but raking on the wrong elevation of the tower.?

I saw a tower built in Vancouver and it was turfed back to a tree :laugh:
Gonna have a look see if i can find the pic, watch this space.

Hahahahahahha i seen a Admirals job last year in Fulham and they had put a 8 foot tube against a tree for a tie , and they had a temporary roof on top , every time the tree moved the whole fuc king job swayed

This guidance has been around for many years and has recently changed in 2011. The law states a scaffold should be stable and secure thus any ties should be proved. The guidance you are looking for is TG4:11 and is available from the NASC

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

If a scaffold falls and a prosecution takes place it mostly falls under section 2 and 3 of the HASAWA, a safe place of work and the safety of others using it.

If you need a pull tester click on hydrajaws the sponsor of this site

done the hydrojaws tie test course not long ago and was told only test to what the tie is supposed to take, ie tie is 6.5kn test to that not 13kn

how much does a hilti tester cost ?

I got very lucky and paid £165 for mine on ebay a couple of years ago , i was on the Hilti website and before i hit the purchase button i thought i would check ebay " just in case " ....... only 1 result when i entered my search and it was ending in 20 minutes - i set my snipe at £350 and did not expect to win it tbh , but , winning it for £165 was a right result :D . Only had to use it once so far though and that was to satisfy the hoist company.

I have inserted extracts from TG4:11 below to help you along the way; however YOU ALL need to read and understand the whole document.

If you wanna be a scaff you need to know how it works!!

6.1 Preliminary tests
Test load:
All anchor types except nylon anchors shall be loaded in tension to a load of 2 x the working load as applied to the anchor, Nylon anchors should be tested to 3 x working load.
If all test anchors take the test load without slip then the anchor may be used in that base material for the proposed working load. Should any anchor fail to meet the required test load then that fact should be referred back to the person responsible for the anchorage design of the project.
6.2 Proof tests
These are needed to check that anchors to be used in the job have been installed correctly.
They should be carried out on all projects.
This guidance applies to all new jobs and to structures with previously installed anchors.
A sample of anchors to be used shall be tested to a load of 1.25 times the working load; in the case of ties
with a working tensile load of 6.1 kN this means a test load of 7.6kN and where a tie load of 12.2 kN is required
the proof load is 15.3kN. The pass criterion is that no significant movement of the anchor is apparent; a visual check only is sufficient.
A minimum of 3 anchors shall be tested and at least 5% (1 in 20) chosen at random and spread evenly
throughout the whole job.
The minimum number (3) applies to every discreet area where:
(a) different fixings may have been used,
(b) the base material is different
(c) the condition of the base material has been affected by different weather conditions on a different
elevation or
(d) a different team of installers have worked.
All Factors quoted here, including those used to determine the
test loads, are specific to short term or temporary uses
including scaffolding and should not be used for other long
term applications for which higher factors are needed, see [12].
Factors used for nylon anchors are different because of
“Creep”[10].
All anchors that have been proof loaded should be clearly identified with a tag showing the date of test and the test load, any anchors failing the test should be tagged as such.
The failure of an anchor in proof testing is a serious issue and requires the investigation of the cause(s) of failure and an increase in testing rate as follows:
One failure – double the test rate to 1 in 10 and at least 6.
Two failures – double again to 1 in 5 and at least 12
More than 2 failures – test 100% of the job, review the fixing specification and installation method.

---------- Post added at 02:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 AM ----------

Testing Ties

It is hoped that the answer Philliosmaximus gave was tongue in cheek that "we normally pull them by hand".....as he should know hopefully as a responsable Scaffolder this no longer would be acceptable to the HSE if a Scaffold collapses.TG4 11 to which Simian refers calls for tests on the ties to be carried out in the base material first of all and then on the ties which will carry the live load.Scaffold designers only ask for ties to be tested above the "normal" 6.1kN load per tie when other considerations such as wind loadings on sheeted scaffolds can increase this loading in worst case to 15.3kN (1.53 Tons) in old money so a hand pull even from Philliomaximus would probably be too much for him then!!
Thanks to Alan Reade for making all this clear to members so better to rely on a calibrated Tester to do the job and be safe.
Hydrajaws Tester is £830 for 1 new kit with discount and calibration every year on Hydrajaws or Hilti is £40

Last edited:
Top Bottom