Scaffolding politics on the Olympic site in London (1 Viewer)

VancouverLeedsLondonBoy

Reaction score
Myself and my colleague handed our notice in on monday so we could transfer across the site and go work for Benchmark. More money, better conditions and just an all round happy place lol.

Anyways after our 4th notice day the site manager found out that we were leaving and refused to let us go.

Apparently there is a contractor good will clause which stops other companies nicking the best employee's (tapping up).

This is six weeks so we have to leave the site and are not allowed back on for this period if we want to work on there for Benchmark.

Not impressed at all as the site manager has the power to sign our release forms, the only reason he hasn't is because he cant get any other scaffolders inducted as all days and slots are full for about 10 days.

I am now working for a company who i dont want to work for and i'm stuck. First job offer i get im gone.

Rant over lol

Last edited:
Surely this must have to be the same rule for all trades,if so how come you didnt know the sketch,it must of happened to other lads..

ask benchmark to put you on a another job **** staying if you can get away from them

Tried it mate, Mark Byrns told us he aint got any other work elsewhere, thing is, my mate worked there for 6 years and is in the clique if you know what i mean, makes no difference though. Bastar#d lol

just wondered what the money is like on the olympics and what hours your working

If you check this out I think you'll find this is illegal, if you leave of your own free will and are not 'head hunted' there is nothing they can do legally, unless of course you personally signed a contract stating that.

I know it's illegal but it's a contractor 'good will' clause. This is what all the companies are doing so as not to upset the applecart as it were. There's so much money on there that nobody wants a bolloc#king from Bovis or even worse the boot.

Benchmark won't touch us unless we get release forms signed unfortunately and that definitely aint gonna happen now.

you'll find it's standard on all big civils jobs now, they ahd a clause like that on the East london line. if £120 a day from 7.30 till 16.30 is good money down there now, the place must be screwed. I was paying my blokes that and more 10 years ago and they were away every day by 3.

Yes thats all thats been paid down here at the moment. I keep getting offered confined space jobs and the moneys great at £18/19 p/h but they are only for a few weeks at a time and I ain't willing to leave my employer just for that

Things came to a head on thursday and I became really pissed off with the whole thing, You've got this jobsworth, Brian his name is and he's telling me how to put up an A Frame to support a 4 tonne concrete facia, I said who's the scaffolder me or you? My mate lost it as well. So I jacked on friday, gave me great satisfaction to tell them to stick their job up their arse lol.

Hello Trad!

hiya mate av u got a number for benchmark on the olympics and a number for the company u were working for?im out of work at the min and anything will do .thanks

Benchmark are no longer taking on there mate and there's only 3 scaffolders on the Olympics for ardmore, there was 4 but I left. They will be down to 2 in a few weeks anyway when the work dries up. Sorry. Call Trad, I started there on Monday.

hello vancouverleedslondonboy! my first time on here! is it difficult to get on the olympic site! i worked at heathrow t5 for a couple of years! just wondered if anyone has any contacts?

Top Bottom