Nasc (1 Viewer)

S

steveo south east

Can someone tell why NASC should come through the recession without a chink in there armour. Okay yes they have developed a code of conduct for scaffolder's.
Have you ever seen those programs on the discovery channel were they develop athelete's clothes they use sensor's to see were the friction is caused, why dont NASC spend some of our money on developing our fall arrerst because i reckon there are more scaff's pulling out the game with a bad back than falls from height? (Amen my BROTHERS)
Why we are on the subject did you know the health and saftey will use the excuse for a brick falling off a scaffold and killing someone as a statistic (ie fall from heights act)

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

Can i get an AMEN my brothers or does everyone have to get up at 0500 to go and earn some cheese. Respect.

Can someone tell why NASC should come through the recession without a chink in there armour. Okay yes they have developed a code of conduct for scaffolder's.
Have you ever seen those programs on the discovery channel were they develop athelete's clothes they use sensor's to see were the friction is caused, why dont NASC spend some of our money on developing our fall arrerst because i reckon there are more scaff's pulling out the game with a bad back than falls from height? (Amen my BROTHERS)
Why we are on the subject did you know the health and saftey will use the excuse for a brick falling off a scaffold and killing someone as a statistic (ie fall from heights act)

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

Can i get an AMEN my brothers or does everyone have to get up at 0500 to go and earn some cheese. Respect.
amen you wont get many slag the nasc down as they dont want a law suit throw the door but no where your coming from brother just a bit of give and take wouldnt go a miss shame richard branson ante on the board may of got something back!!!!!!!!

Health and Safety is an expense thats only taken seroiusly by the NASC when it'll cost them more in lawsuits then it does upkeeping their health and safety rules.

Ever seen the film - 'Gangs of New York'?
Theres a line in that film...

"The appearance of the law must be upheld, especially while its being broken"

I think with the NASC and influential Construction/Scaffolding firms their attitude is the same.
"Health and Safety is important, only while it saves us the cost of being heavily sued". :suspicious:

Don't get how NASC can stop you getting a bad back mate ?? we gotta lift tubes at the end of the day..

deb you have never found yourself restricted because your harness is trapped by your belt. All i am saying is maybe they should look at other harnesses like when i see people hanging three hunderd foot off a tall building with a rock climbing belt. so maybe they should spend a bit of money researching other fall arrest harness.

if we get out from the f*****g european union and ran our own island,we may have a chance of putting some common sense back into this country and this industry and decide how WE want to erect scaffolding. Problem is, I reckon the guys that make these rules, are theorists and don't understand that proper scaffs normally don't fall off very often, we are a very selfish breed when it comes to self preservation.They don't understand we do not need all these safety devices, and they are just bogging us down and I reckon actual scaffold erection has slowed by at least 40% or possibly more since all these silly rules started some years ago.It's advantageous to be in the boy's club, but also very costly to adhere to some of the ill thought out, impractical rules. I have been in the business 37 yrs and not fallen off yet, and know of very few lads who have.
I bet the next thing will be 21ft tubes sorry,I mean 6.3m tubular pipe will be banned as too heavy.
FIRST WE MUST GET RID OF THE BRUSSELS DICTATORS

it makes sense to the sleeve manufacturers, they'll make a killing!! Thinking of setting up a press in the garage myself.
Iv'e read in EU Gazette that they are considering a maximum of 13...I mean 4m long scaffolding tu....pipes as they are also restricting the bed of scaffold lorries to 4m for environmental purposes and won't allow any overhang unless you put an official EU flag on it with the proper logo.

deb you have never found yourself restricted because your harness is trapped by your belt. All i am saying is maybe they should look at other harnesses like when i see people hanging three hunderd foot off a tall building with a rock climbing belt. so maybe they should spend a bit of money researching other fall arrest harness.

harnesses are a bit of a pain, but saved a scaffs life ( thread on this forum ) actually the guys who hang from tall buildings wear a " sit harness " now if you had to scaff in one of those you would be complaing, there twice as bulky as fall arrest harnesses...

I thought that they'd been talking of banning 21's (i'll stick with the old school ta very much) for a while now ! At least for use as standards. They've already made it that u can't top out with anything exceeding 15ft tubes. It's only 1 more small step and we'll be there !!!
It's gone mad

I think that Harness's are more better designed now, then they used to be years ago, but hopefully they will refine the design more in the next few years.

Im lucky... I started on a firm (TRAD) and even as a labourer i was immediately made to wear a harness and a belt, so unlike the older scaffs here ive not really worked without one, except when ive worked on small firms doing house fronts and stuff.

But.
Id rather have a harness/lanyard and not need to worry and use it if i had to, then not have one and work somewhere, where a harness would save my life if i fell. - Certain jobs harness's are a necessity.

I thought that they'd been talking of banning 21's (i'll stick with the old school ta very much) for a while now ! At least for use as standards. They've already made it that u can't top out with anything exceeding 15ft tubes. It's only 1 more small step and we'll be there !!!
It's gone mad

Who have made that rule mate?

I was lead to believe that a 21ft tube weighed more then 25kgs... If i remember from an old table i saw years ago showed that a 21ft or 6.4m tube weighed about 28kgs.

The HSE are trying to scale everything down to 25kgs to save people damaging their backs and stuff, which is also the reason why companies spend so much on Manual Handling courses.

That might be the reason.
As well as that hemping a 21ft tube aint 100% safe - 15ft tubes are definately easier.

I was lead to believe that a 21ft tube weighed more then 25kgs... If i remember from an old table i saw years ago showed that a 21ft or 6.4m tube weighed about 28kgs.

The HSE are trying to scale everything down to 25kgs to save people damaging their backs and stuff, which is also the reason why companies spend so much on Manual Handling courses.

That might be the reason.
As well as that hemping a 21ft tube aint 100% safe - 15ft tubes are definately easier.

There is not set limit for the amount of weight someone can lift. It's whatever the individual is comfortable with.

15' tubes are certainly easier to manage and hemp - But then again, 8' tubes are easier still.

If you set out an independant going up in 2.0m lifts and used 15's as hemps then you'd soon find yourself with some pretty high scarf's to hemp on to.

You could always use S355 tube which is not only 25% stronger, but has a wall thickness of 3.2mm (as opposed to 4mm on standard tube) and weigh's 3.5kg/m - which makes a 21' a mere 22.4kg.

If its a question of weight,25kg,that would make sense,as Phil says,theres no regs yet. Could always switch to alli.:confused:

You gotta look at the situation when hemping, if its over the street and a high hemp then why would you risk lifting a 21 on it , just put a tube on that gets the lift and leaves a nice size hemp for the next lift , there aint nothing more un-cool looking then a 21 coming flying down onto the street :cool:

It's not Gospel I dont think. Not yet Phil
But some firms are stipulating no hemping with anything longer than a 15 if your more than 2m from the ground.
I think it's going a bit far. Why not 18's ?
Just that 3ft makes all the difference

Your right Zoetsy, some firms were stipulating no 21" hemps but never really policed it and still sent out a load of long for their jobs. It was just some individual firms though all clambering for the moral high ground in another attempt at ticking a box on a risk assessment.

Yes I've heard this rumour that 21s will soon have to be carried by 2 people. As if they'll be able to enforce that. It's going to get to the point where H&S is so patronising that we'll be thinking why we bother anymore.

Remember H&S was introduced because of more people suing companys for negligence. Not because of concern for your safety. It is cheaper this way.

Top Bottom