When can a temporary structure be classed as permanent (1 Viewer)

celtic

Reaction score
We have a client who we've built 2 bridged towers over a weighbridge for so his drivers can access the hatches on top of their tankers.

The job was supposed to stay up for 3 months now it's going on for 2 years.

Client has asked if the structure can be deemed permanent.

I don't think it can be classed permanent as it,s scaffold.

Any ideas?

Celtic

I know a lot of places use long term scaffolding as " tempory" structure's to get around planning permission , i think if you have foundations built or services installed then it changes , speak to the local council they will know.

Dead right Phillio,not a concrete or brickbuilt structure. Like wooden garden sheds, No time-limit on tempory structures. If it works,leave it.

A scaffold is a temporary structure so therefore can not be classed as permanent. By now the client should have had the thing re-engineered so as to do away with the scaffolding. And I know that with us, anything 2 years old is dismantled and if need be, rebuilt.

We have a client who we've built 2 bridged towers over a weighbridge for so his drivers can access the hatches on top of their tankers.

The job was supposed to stay up for 3 months now it's going on for 2 years.

Client has asked if the structure can be deemed permanent.

I don't think it can be classed permanent as it,s scaffold.

Any ideas?

Celtic

i hope he pays you for the inspections.
if not whose doing it?

Hi Chaps,

An interesting discussion. The new eurocodes suite (EU0) states that a temporary structure is one which has a design working life of 10 years or less. Can't say I have seen many scaffolds that old but theres the answer!

Sure this answer is not helpful in any way, shape or form but who knows.

R

Top Bottom