Penalties for not doing inspections or keeping registers (1 Viewer)

thecaretaker

Reaction score
Hello folks. I'm new to the forums, so be gentle with me! lol

I'm in Health & Safety for my sins, but scaffolding is a new area for me so any advice would be appreciated.

I recently came across a UK contruction firm (who will remain nameless for now) that didn't have any guys carrying out scaffold inspections. No tag systems being used either to record inspections and probably no register, Yet they appeared to have large numbers (must be in the 100's) of scaffold up all over the place.

Are there no checks done on companies like this by the HSE or is it a matter of waiting for an accident to happen and then they get fined or prosecuted?

What kind of penalities are there to make companies to carry out regular inspections? As they don't seem to be a deterant to some firms.

My concern lies with the guys we send up other peoples scaffolding, I want them to be safe. I'm not out to get anybody into trouble. But a few facts and figures might give me some ammo. I've looked at the HSE website, but apart from actual scaffold accidents, I don't see any reports of fines for companies not complying with the regs.

Legislation specifies that anyone carrying out an inspection must be competent to do so. To be competent that person must have the necessary training, knowledge and experience.

As a minimum the NASC would recommend:

a) A CISRS Scaffolder cardholder would be deemed competent to inspect the scaffold structures that are covered in the CISRS Part 1 & Part 2 courses provided their employer can demonstrate they have the necessary knowledge and experience.

b) A CISRS Advanced Scaffolder cardholder would be deemed competent to inspect the scaffold structures that are covered in the CISRS Part 1, Part 2 & Advanced courses provided their employer can demonstrate they have the necessary knowledge and experience.

The contents and overall objectives of the CISRS courses can be found in the CAP 609 General Information Booklet Appendix A-C page 26-30. CISRS - the industry recognised scaffold training scheme

c) A CISRS Scaffolding Supervisor cardholder would be deemed competent to inspect the basic scaffold structures that are covered in the CISRS Part 1 and Part 2 courses provided their employer can demonstrate they have the necessary knowledge and experience. If they also hold an Advanced Scaffolders card, then they would be deemed competent to inspect advanced structures.

The content and overall objectives of the CISRS Scaffolding Supervisor course can be found in the CAP 609 General Information Booklet pages 16-17. CISRS - the industry recognised scaffold training scheme

d) A person who has been on a Basic Scaffold Inspection Course * (min. two days) would be deemed competent to inspect a basic scaffold structure provided their employer can demonstrate they have the necessary knowledge and experience and they have passed the knowledge test at the end of the course.

This course is suitable for: Management/Supervision who are responsible for inspecting scaffolds and completing reports in accordance with the Work at Height Regulations 2005.

Note: If candidates who have attended the Basic Course want to inspect more complex scaffolds, then they will need to complete the Advanced Course after they have gained sufficient experience inspecting Basic Scaffolds on a regular basis.

e) A person who has been on an Advanced Scaffold Inspection Course * (min. two days) would be deemed competent to inspect more complex scaffold structures provided their employer can demonstrate they have the necessary knowledge and experience and they have passed the knowledge test at the end of the course.

This course is suitable for: Experienced Scaffold Inspectors, Management/Supervision who are responsible for inspecting, commissioning and handing over scaffolds, and completing reports in accordance with the Work at Height Regulations 2005.

f) Persons who are required to carry out inspections of System Scaffolds must, in addition to the basic scaffold inspection course, attend an approved product training course for the specific system scaffold required and have their card endorsed with the product selected.

* Several CISRS approved training centres already offer Basic and Advanced Inspection training (both 2 days duration)

Note: • Any competent person who is not carrying out scaffold inspections on a regular basis would need to consider additional refresher training

To download a copy of this statement please click here

CISRS have developed the Scaffold Inspection Training Scheme (SITS) 2 day Basic and Advanced courses are available and are aimed at those who are responsible for carrying out statutory scaffold inspection on site. Upon successful completion of the above courses the delegate is eligible to apply for the CISRS Inspection card. A Supervisory level Construction Skills H&S test (or equivalent) is required.

Hi mate, the Hse only wants work when theres an accident there not intrested in trying to govern this industry.
This industry is full of regulasions and that realy dosnt count to jo blogs on the street who takes it for granted that the price they have been given is for getting a safe job to do the work.
The scaffolding industry is full of one man bands and firms who errect scaffolding with out the training of there staff so a tag on the scaffolding dont mean nothing.
I was chatting to a owner of a scaffold firm down here who didnt even know about the TG20:08, What is that his reply was? uck he employes 4 men. Not a hard hat in site not a first aid kit in a lorry. So a 7 day check on his scaffolding is a NO NO.
Hse on big sites is good on the street its all down to cost and the other main factor is HSE DONT DO ANYTHING UNLESS THERE IS AN ACCIDENT..
There under staffed and with so many rules.
We do a 7 day check which is optional though hand over every job with a sighned handing over certificate. Then if they want the 7 day check they pay the extra..
We use to price the 7 day check in an guess what ?
We didnt get much work so we offer it at the cost and do exsplain that its there responsibility...
At the preasant time HSE are a typical Goverment run scheam ITS NOT EFFECTIVE unless theres a problem.If it was run as a buisness it would be bankrupt like this country mate...
Its up and down the country mate. Good luck on trying to solve your HSE issue.
It would be good if the public were informed on there responsibilitys if they arrange for the scaffolding to be errected corperation man slauter.. Its only time b4 some poor person is hert by some firm who errected scaffolding and i n my veiw thats too late HSE should be on it and there is so many so called scaffolders Not doing the basic things let alone 7 day checks hand over the scaffold or even have the skill to errect it.
Heres one theres a guy down this way who faild his part one and employes men and been in this game for years who nicks gear and realy is so concerned about his 7 day check... I DONT THINK SO... HSE jack **** mate.
Good rant over now time to do me head in with CADS...
Hope you find away.

caretaker

It's not the resposibility of the scaffold contractor to carry out the 7 day inspections on the scaffolds they erect. Once erected the scaffold gets handed over to the customer and it then becomes their responsibility to maintain the scaffold in good order and carry out any and all inspections. They can (and do on many sites) employ the scaffold contractor to carry out the inspections for them.

Thats what i asked a bird last night allan and she was not to impressed :laugh::laugh::laugh:

You never made first base Phillio,?,tut tut,a man with your charms n all. you musta let her carry out inspection first,lol

Welcome to the forum caretaker. A very valid opening salvo and I look forward to reading your other input. As already posted, the end user is responsible for inspections which we do offer but very rarely get called upon.

Top Bottom