is this safe? (1 Viewer)

W

Wils

Hi, i searched google for advice then found this site, so here goes.
I don't want to stir up a hornets nest but i have a few concerns over scaffolding thats currently being erected around our home.
We are tenants and the landlords have no interest in whats going on at all.

removed the photo to stop any further embarrasment

Attachments

• is this safe.jpg
    is this safe.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
Welcome Wils,

The job aint finished yet so they may have something else in mind and they may take out the standard on the roof and put a "SPUR" in to support the corner.

are your concerns with the tube on the roof ?
as the rest looks pretty standard stuff

il go with phillios looks ok to me , just not finished

ok thanks, i'm obviously not a scaffolder and i know its still being erected, only its the way he is going about it we are concerned about. For a start he is working alone, and from what i know he should be at least wearing a hard hat or protection and a harness. He didnt even have his own ladder today but borrowed our step ladder from the garden!

Hahahahaha you havent met many scaffolders have you Wil ?

If he is alone he cant drop anything on his own head

if he falls in a harness there aint no one to rescue him

And he probably borrowed the step ladder to save using the garden furniture to stand on.

The job looks sound mate , he knows his onions :D

Hahah, no really!

Funnily enough, its not his safety i'm concerned about, its my wife's, my kids and me.
There's scaffold clamps, whatever they are called left lying on the top boards, without his hat on they would leave a nasty sting it one fell on him, as one nearly has already. Secondly the idea behind a harness re: fall arrest is to do just that, to stop a fall to the ground by limiting it to the length of the harness. I'm yet to see a man fall 15ft plus to the ground, dust himself off then go about his business as if nothing has happened.

I don't mean to be flippant and it will probably be fine in the end, we'll see.
But thanks for your comments

yeah wils but if he falls wearing a harness and there is no one to rescue him, the harness will kill him within 20 mins anyhow so he prob thought quicker is better than slower when it comes to dying on your own lol

my mistake, but i forgot to mention i am here all the time, working from home as is my wife.

Btw its been raining here on and off throughout today as he walked along the poles, but i dont want to look like an idiot so i'll just keep quiet about it now.

Hi Wils, the job looks fine m8, as the others say, the standard on the roof looks like a temporary one (no baseplate for a start), he has a locking transom on the standards, its braced as per the norm, as for the PPE, most scaffolders hate wearing it and will try to get away without having it on if at all possible, harnesses are heavy after wearing it all day, helmets make your head too hot and so on.
walking along the ledgers is frowned upon by the safety wallahs but most scaffolders can walk along a ledger for at least 12 ft without even thinking about it, if you have concerns about the guy then make him a cuppa and ask him a few questions about how the job is going, most scaffs react badly to non scaffs questioning their work but a friendly chat over a cuppa is usually a nice way to get his guard down lol

I can understand your concern Wils but like the other lads have said, the guy sounds like he knows his stuff.
As the old saying goes..........every man to his job.

Why the long sole board too? Those tiles look robust enough to take some weight,chuck a couple of braces on the standard on the roof & it should be fine.

Thanks for the insight into a scaffolders mind, and MANY thanks for the ones who took it seriously!

Firstly its the finished job you're looking at. The back and sides are terrible, only the part you have seen faces the road. I came here to get a second opinion only, as I was already sure he'd cut corners, literally. Theres no toe boards or top rails, and we were told that board is staying on the outhouse roof. You've only seen the end, where I had the concern over the board.

As I stated in the orignal post, I'm NOT paying for it, the landlord is and doing the whole job on the cheap. Our place plus next doors whole roof stripepd re-tiled, felt, battens, ridge + pointing all for just £4,000! yeah right. Tiles for our roof alone will cost most of that.

Now I have all the info I need, tommorrow is D-Day as its going to be put right or I'll get our old friends HSE on the case, then see who's laughing.

As for safety is obvious the ones who've made the flippant comments havn't worked at it for long or have been extremely lucky. I'm 49 and been a tree surgeon most of my life. Just hung my hat up this year to take things easy. We dont ever grumble about wearing ppe or harnesses hot or cold, only a fool takes risks. You lives must be cheap or you don't care to provide for wives or kids as any accident where you didnt comply with safety regs usually mean a forfeit of an insurance claim lieu of your sposes or next of kin.

Finally any harness that would kill you in 20 mins cant be much good. Only idiots would work at height alone. Also you're scaffolders i.e. strong lads so how come you would be able to haul yourselves back up to safety?

read the first half of your post and was going to say your right if thats finished hes taking the p!ss but then read the rest of it so fook you you arrogant prick . i hope the lot comes down on you. tree surgeon no wonder your renting at 49 , fook off back to your plants

Top Bottom