Hiring Scaffolding BEWARE

platinum

Reaction score
We hired scaffolding from Generation and after agreeing with the GENERATION Manager, that we would not want to exceed £155 per month, which we were told would be monitered, ended up getting invoices for £4.5 K per month !! felt totally ripped off and could not get them to reduce excessive charges !!

We had no sensible bargaining from them and we could not afford to send them the balances in one go, only installments per month, but that was not good enough for them, they went for the juggerler, and did NOT send any stat demand, and went straight for Winding up order !!! Ruthless way to treat a customer, we had the embarrassment of being in the London Gazzette, and a barrage of calls and junkmail from liquidators etc, we told them we ARE NOT INSOLVENT, We are trying to work out a dispute.

We paid GENERATION the money to stop our company being folded , but now they want £6500.00 legal costs on top !!!!! This is unreal please be aware anyone hiring from them they will stab you in the back !!!

DEN

You wouldn't get a lot of gear for £155/month, but £4.5k a month is an awful lot of gear!!!!!!,
Sorry to ask this, but why didn't you keep a check on what you hired
or are they charging you for non return/damage losses?

either way is not a great idea to hire gear if you can help it, every time we do, we vow we will never do it gain :cry:

It would seem you are not considering the fact you may have failed to monitor your own stock usage.
I am not sure what volume of kit you hired for £155 a month but lets assume it to be 500 long tubes. Your sock hire for £4500 per month is 30 times greater some 15,000 long. Kinda guessing you should have spotted this yourself.

While I can sympathise with your situation, the other lads have hit the nail on the head. You can't really go from paying £155 a month to £4.5k a month in a few weeks. Surely you must have realised that your company was using the gear?
I would have thought that Generation would be able to supply copies of signed advice notes and delivery notes, may be worth checking to make sure someone else's gear has been booked to your account. Also check the quantities tally up for the gear you did sign for

Bit of difference from £155 - 4.5K... I would have a word with your site manager.. who worked the prices out... ??

Sounds to me you took your eyes off the ball mate .
What was the charge of hire per ft of tube mate ?

Check the site foreman & make sure your not paying for someone elses gear..Thats a massive difference in prices/amount of gear.

We have hired gear in the past ,its a nightmare never ends up going back and gets mixed up with your own kit, so you end up paying for it in the end.
Cant understand how you did not realize how much kit you had on hire , check all your delivery and return notes to make sure you have had the kit they are charging you for.

Like others, I sympathise with your plight, but can't really understand how such a gulf in price's was allowed to develop. I know we all just have to call it as we see it, but as you have named and shamed the firm involved I feel I should share my experience of Generation. First of all, we buy all our gear from them, mainly as we have checked round the house's and find like for like they are always amongst the cheapest, and if there is a deal to be had I'm fairly near the top of their list. Also, when buying scaffold material you may be asked to prove it's origin and suitability for the job and I reckon that process is much easier when you use just one supplier. When we have to hire material, they always give us a good price, we have been offered slightly cheaper on occasion but only after I disclosed Generation's price. Lastly, they could have put the screw on me a couple of times with clients going to the wall but the worst was when one customer went to the wall after getting involved in some sort of security war and a big kit house with around £20-£25k worth of gear went up in smoke. The house was trashed and the gear was trashed and the companies insurance wouldn't pay out. The boy's at generation, took the gear back sent it down south to check it, saved all the steel and charged me a pittance for second hand boards when they could easily have hunted me for full replacement value. I know every branch can be different, but if anyone is looking to speak to honest hard working individuals, you could do a lot worse than speak to Generation's Rutherglen branch.

we have had ups an downs with generation, most of our dust ups were over trying to off hire stuff , we send load of kit back to them they send half it back saying its not theres, or we hire say 2000 fittings they arrive in a very unserviced state, we just get on an use them maybe spray bit lube over them, then when we return them they say not ours , our fittings were painted and these are rusty and unoiled, tell them thats how we got them and yip bit barney rubble , but when we have had cash shortfalls, or hired more than we should have, or generally bought too much too quick and skint :nuts: they have been pretty good id say, we owed them fortunes when we took massive 2 hits by 2 companies one of which managed to trash approx 30 8m beams ( by not demolishing a building properly) in process aswell, they were good again with us couldnt complain.

Like Already stated you need to ask for copies of all hire n sale notes and check quantities, signatures, dates, any vehicle reg numbers, delivery addresses etc .
for £4500 a month you could hire a lot of scaffold, there maybe mistakes, either by you or them, also can you trust all lads past an present that reguarly went to hire depot for you, they may have booked gear out without you knowing or maybe when been sent to off hire kit have lost half a load somewhere for fistful of cash.

We have hired gear in the past ,its a nightmare never ends up going back and gets mixed up with your own kit, so you end up paying for it in the end.
Cant understand how you did not realize how much kit you had on hire , check all your delivery and return notes to make sure you have had the kit they are charging you for.

yes we have some gear from dsl was all on one job with some of ours must now be on about half a dozen diffrent jobs now been trying to get it all back in a nightmare but i thick you would know if you had 4.5k worth on hire.

we use generation and have had a couple small problems with the office but the main man we deal with peter tonks always comes up trumps bends over bawards for you couldnt recomend a beter bloke to deal with.

Funny old thread this

How the hell does your scaffold hire bill go from a limit of £155 per month, to over £4,500

Your heads were in the sand, did you expect the Generation manager to run your business for you ?

I beleive there is a lot more to this issue than you have posted

Nice one phill posted last nite after had a few ,

Top Bottom