How do I get some scaffold design done? (1 Viewer)

aa44

Reaction score
Hi, I am building my own house up here in Shetland. It's going to take a long time and I am going to buy some tube scaffolding. There is a local company that will put it up for me and buy it off me at the end of the project.

I need somebody to have a look at my houseplans and give me a list of the parts that I need to buy (e.g. 20 x 6m galvanised tubes etc.).

Assuming that it would be OK for me to ask somebody on here to do it:

1. What qualifications should I ask for them to be able to produce the parts list?

2. How much should I expect to pay (e.g. is it one hours work at the kitchen table or something bigger? It's a biggish house that is set into a hillside).

The company that will be putting it up know what they are doing. They do the vast majority of the work up here, including some big industrial jobs. I just need to make sure that I have all the bits that they will need.

If I have posted this in the wrong place then please could one of the mods move it.

Thanks
Andrew

Hallo mate...Brace yourself for some comic replies...lol..cant wait

Hi Andrew, never one to see a fellow jock stuck. I will pm the rest.

USUALLY, I DRAW THESE THINGS ON THE BACK OF A CIGARETTE BOX,,,in very small print.. (I'm pretty sure, that you will be given the best of advice & guidance on the forum) hope all goes well. :)

Get the local mob to build it with their gear,arrange a price fro the build and then you have a rental fee.
They will only rip you off for the price of secondhand gear they know you will want rid of anyway

Why cant the lads that are going to erect the scaffold tell you what they need ?

it dont sound like you need anything special, why cant they put it up ,sell you the gear and then buy it back or work you out a decent hire rate if its going to be up for a long time, they dont sound like they have a clue to me , its not AOMs mob is it :laugh::laugh:

Haa haa,you wont get an answer here Phillio,the Scots are closing ranks.

You should'nt need a design for it mate, ask the firm erecting it to tell you how much gear you'll need.... pretty straight forward.. good luck....

Why cant the lads that are going to erect the scaffold tell you what they need ?

it dont sound like you need anything special, why cant they put it up ,sell you the gear and then buy it back or work you out a decent hire rate if its going to be up for a long time, they dont sound like they have a clue to me , its not AOMs mob is it :laugh::laugh:

Haa haa,you wont get an answer here Phillio,the Scots are closing ranks.

Closing ranks! Your lucky we don't rebuild the wall. We just have to figure out how much gear we need and we will be right on it.:cool:

---------- Post added 8th July 2011 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 7th July 2011 at 10:44 PM ----------

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5xNftrisYiQ

This is where you are more likely to find Aom's mob.;)

How times change AOM.I got all my training slogging around building sites as a young'un.Very impressive award ceremony,which one was you?

As for building the wall,you lot kicked it down in the first place.:amuse:So who do wanna keep out??.... See that aa44 hasnt replied yet. Is there scaffolding firms in the Shetlands?:wondering:

There must be but to be honest, I've never been. Another shocker is it's an Englishman so we don't have to re-build the wall just yet. He sent drawings through to me, not as simple as I first thought but I'm in the office tomorrow so will get a proper look then.

The training certainly has changed, a bit of glitz and glamour for the scaffs. Obviously, that was my apprentice bumming about the money he get's, glad he didn't mention the hours he does for it.:eek: I was sitting with the Mrs clapping like a trained seal.

I used to live very close to Hadrian's Wall. There was an interesting planning application a few years ago when a very old pub near the wall applied to build an extension. The council said yes, as long as the same materials were used, so the pub owner said "Fine, I'll go and rob some more stone out of the wall." All the old stuff round there is built out of what used to be the wall.

Shetland doesn't sell itself very well. People tend to view us as bunch of people sitting on a rock when there is a bit more to it than that. Shetland is about 100 miles from end to end with about 22,000 people. There are two scaffolding firms here. The bigger lot (Access 2000) are the ones that do all the big jobs and industrial stuff. The other lot (Shetland Scaffolding) are a two man band that do mainly domestic jobs.

As for building the wall,you lot kicked it down in the first place.:amuse:So who do wanna keep out??.... See that aa44 hasnt replied yet. Is there scaffolding firms in the Shetlands?:wondering:

We kicked it down to make it easier for our raping and pillaging expeditions.:D:p

How did that suit you aa44?

Attachments

• Drawing Shetland.doc
    450.5 KB · Views: 22
  • MATERIAL LIST Shetland.pdf
    16.6 KB · Views: 21
Congratulations to Ian Wright, well done AOM ltd. nice to see keen younguns, and keener bosses to help them.

AOM scaffolding, Big pat on the back from SCCR;)

Thanks for that Paddy. I might have taken my eye off the ball for a bit but more than made up for it now with 2 good scaffs coming off the conveyor belt. The trick now will be keeping them interested long enough to keep them away from the city. As usual, got a back up plan in the shape of a new boy starting from scratch.

True Phil, but as the years go by I am finding it harder and harder to find common ground with them. I still do it, but wouldn't want to be stuck all day listening to their week-end exploits and telling them to take the steel out their face and punt it up to me.:eek:

Oh oh, I will need to check the original list. I reckon the 10ft should be 13ft but might be wrong. The cads needs a fair bit of ram and a pretty descent graphics card, sometimes the information can change just because I'm on the lap top at home.

Top Bottom