Hse (1 Viewer)

Spunkywads26

Reaction score
Had a chat to a HSE officer today about a job of ours and he asked me if it is designed. I said no but not sure if it is supposed to be. It is a 100ft x 28ft independant scaffold along a factory wall. It is tied on the steels which support the wall sheeting.

HELP!!!

how many boarded lifts, tie ratio/ pattern, beams, sheeting etc, there so many bits now that make an undesign job now a design job.

Hi Mr B

The job is actually 70ft x 28ft with a 30ft x 28ft return.

The main side is top lift boarded only and tied regularly (but probably not to the letter of the law).

The smaller side is all lifts boarded and ladder tracked. However this side is contained between the factory wall and a large steel RSJ constructed steel sheet wall (Forms part of neighbour property and is used to stack scrap metal against. This steel wall is 21ft high and runs the entire length of the scaffold. Our scaffold is fixed to this via gravlocks as we deemed it strong enough to fix to. Only the top lift is not tied but it is fully ledger braced.

There are no beams involved and no sheeting as the scaffold was for replacing roof sheets and wall sheets on small side.

Hope this makes it clearer. Honestly I ask as I am the gaffers son and I have been on my part 2 but waiting to finish my portfolio. I know that certain aspects of the job are completely wrong by todays standards but can't get that across to the caveman which is my dad. Low and behold we get a call from the HSE and all of a sudden it starts a row with us and him stating that in the old days job didn't fall over and these people are always picking on the small firms blah blah blah.

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated as it will be me doing the donkey work of sorting out the mess.

Had a chat to a HSE officer today about a job of ours and he asked me if it is designed. I said no but not sure if it is supposed to be. It is a 100ft x 28ft independant scaffold along a factory wall. It is tied on the steels which support the wall sheeting.

HELP!!!

what made him ask this mate, was he just passing by or was he on site, had a job the other day which needed a design ( well now a days it would ) the customer turns round and say i am not paying for that i will get someone who will do it with out all that, this is a customer who we have had a fair bit of work off in the pass, just can not see why he has to pay for something so basic. i thick about 70% of the jobs we do now come under design the bigger customer is ok with it but the small ones just say thay will get someone else, you can not win i suppose the hse will be pulling up on jobs now wanting to see a designs for everything.

The HSE officer said he was at the factory on an unrelated issue but while he was there had a nose around and then the story starts!!!

Bad luck apparently :suspicious:

Spunkywads26, as far as I can make out you don't need a design. Gravlocks are as strong if not stronger than most ties on the market although testing is difficult but using known design principles should cover that one. Between this post and other conversations we have had I would suggest having a look at Cads smart scaffolder or something similar. They are fairly basic and inexpensive when you consider the amount of design drawing's you won't have to pay for. I posted a story just last night not sure where but it more than appeased the hse. Other's may see it different, all the information you need to do it yourself is in TG20 but Cads makes it simple to prove you don't need a design. There will be better qualified people on here who will be able to help you but should you need any advice I would be happy to answer any pm. Good luck(especially with the old man):eek::D

I only had the chat today and managed to fob him off abit but he wants answers so thats why I ask here. From my experience of 10 years and nearly an official scaff I think no it does not need a design as you do an independant with a return on your part 1 its just in this case it is a bit longer and higher nothing special like beams etc...

If he had any real concerns he would not have have been so easy fobbed off. Keep chatting to him, they are not the KGB.

i have had a look mate and it do not need a design but he may pull you about your ties.

Spunkywads26, if you fancy e-mailing me a few snaps and the address and post code for the job I could run it through the smart scaff and see what it says. It would also give you a look at what you get for your money. Don't worry if you don't want to bother, a refusal won't offend. aomscaffolding@btconnect.com

Good man aom. That what this forums for helping each brother out

PICT0029.jpg

This is an Opollo tie we currently use Spunkwads26. It has a very strong nylon plug drilled in using a 14mm bit, a small screw eye and the hook fitting complete's the set. We have found them a life saver and now use them in everything, stone, brick and timber. What do you think?

I can see from the picture that is an internal hook version, we also do an external hook version and lots of different eye lengths. These are the most common tie that people are using currently.

How do these ties compare with the old M16 Rings and Anchors?? Are they equal in the load
they will take??

Regards.

i tested one up to 15kn? on the hyrdojaws tester but as said they are much quicker and a lot less distructive

As you cant use drop in anchors in brick anymore these are a very good altenative, the good thing is you wont break the brick when you install them and they are much quicker and easier to use with a smaller hole to drill in the brick, you only drill 14mm instead of 20mm. We have tech data if you are interested

Hello ADI,
Yes would be interested in tech data. Ta very much.

Top Bottom