Roof Sadle Question (1 Viewer)

bluescaff

Reaction score
Anyone know loading tollerences for timber trusses when errecting a roof saddle? Realise new build would bee "refer design/engineer" dont want to sound like an idiot but must have done hundreds of these on old buildings without a design. :confused:
Any ideas or info for new and old trusses etc?

Will look

Hi Bluescaff

Will ask the question through a contact, like you said, saddles everywhere. Who asked the question?

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

Hi Bluescaff

Awaiting an answer now.

Thanks for the quick reply Flynn.
Personal question, just interested. Maybe its too specific to the age, design, quality ect of each roof to generalise. I thought if trusses complied with different building standards over the years this would give you a reasonable estimate of the loading capabilities etc?

Interesting question,

Like you said many saddles on many properties. Never thought about the loadings. posted a question on the National federation of Roofing Contractors site, they should know. Let you know when I know.

Nick

this is an on going problem with new builds we normally spec they double up the roof trusses and sheet it with ply 18mm but if some jobs worth wants a leg load design on the roof we normally cantilever and don't even put a standard on the roof however this now leading in to another design issue so common sense must prevail and no one wants to pay for any of the above so always ask for the main contractors advice on loading before trying to be a hero

As you'd imagine Davie, What about older properties? Most hands wouldnt even think twice about errecting a saddle for chimney stack demolition on the town and using common sense to asses its class, say General Purpose. Any info etc anywhere to back this spec up?

Hi Bluescaff, good question. I am interested in the answer to this one as well but suspect it will be as you say refer to engineers spec for new and get a spec for old. We always class our saddles as light duty no matter how we build them and tell contractor that they cant store any material on the job and have to get shot of it straight away. We have never had too many problems as most repairs are fairly light weight anyway.

had one not so long a go said they was repointing it, then decided that it was to bad to repoint, so took it down, when to inspect it 1 day there was about 300 to 400 bricks on it, told them it was only for genreal perpose and they start moading on well a scaffold is a scaffold can not win.

I have seen it before B-safe, not a lot you can do except take pictures and get a hand-over done. Maybe someone should come up with a cisrs card before letting some of these builders use a scaffold.

Right Aom, always better safe than sorry. Surly a roof is designed to carry it's own cladded/finnished weight then some (adverse weather etc). A stack scaffold can't be less than 150kg total materials (aprox). Then loaded. Then over loaded.... then a fat bricky..... & his chubby labourer.....& his sandwiches.....Wonder what it would for it to give?

Last edited:
250 old bricks go 500kg (approx) like you say fat bricky a labourer couple of buckets of muck old pots you must be getting on for a ton on a old roof

Ouch... Old Miss Dorris wakes up with two fat lads and a chimney in her lap! (one of which is not a jolly fat man with a white beard bearing gifts)

left my giraffe at home grandad.... weight would be depend on job? throw in, 4 side wrap around? etc...

Last edited:
There are still plenty of the old Crudens type houses round our way(not the builders). The one's with the steel frame built when post war Britain especially Scotland had more steel and aluminium than bricks. I think the steel roof trusses are at about 10ft centres or so and they had to re-cover them with either light weight Decra tiles or light weight corrugated sheets. Always a nightmare when someone mentions chimney repairs on this house type.

Most of the builders we do it for have know understanding of what we do or how we do it, so to expect them to understand the additional work on one of these roofs is just to much for their heads to take in. Usually have to do it for same price just so they don't think I'm ripping them off.

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

Just had another we thought(I know, it doesn't happen often). These roofs must be designed for a snow load which as anyone who has ever built a temporary roof or a steel framed shed will tell you has to be high enough to carry a Sherman tank with a fat tank commander at the helm, so a saddle shouldn't be a problem.

Great question bluecsaff,careful someone from h/s aint reading this post,they may change the rules and ask for rams in the future. Modern houses are usually fitted with truss sections pre-made off site,so I wouldnt see a problem with these carrying the load. Triangulation and ceiling rafters stopping spread, However, it may be worth a quick look with some of the older more traditional roofs,with a lot of people dropping the purlin supports out to create another room, if this is the case,you may have to drop a few acrows in to support load of saddle and fat brickies ha ha

Excellent point Aom, so if the roof will hold just need to hope the shoddy walls the same bricky lashed up 20years don't fall over!
Heard about this happening from a contacts manager, big geodome style glass roof in Germany 1st of its kind. Freak snow fallone day, the steel held together but at the point where the steel supports met the building the brick work just came to pieces and the whole roof came down in one piece!

Top Bottom