scaffold design course (1 Viewer)

1704ian

Hi i am currently trying to get into scaffold design and i am just after a little help with what courses to take. currently looking at a hnc in civil engineering would that be enough?
thanks for any help

Its a start - but you need to get in to a design office to learn on the job with experienced guys around. HNC is absolute minimum in my book and that will limit your potential - yoiu need to end with BSc / BEng ideally + experience!

Good Luck.:push:

Structural Support,

What is your opinion on the scaffolding design companies that have been around quite a long time where the founders only have an HND in Civil Engineering? They have plenty of experience, but would you say their potential has been limited? There's one not far from you...

I agree with your statement above.. I think a degree is the minimum, the additional skills that are required / useful are not necessarily covered in much detail in an HND (Solid Mechanics, Soil Mechanics, Steelwork design, Fluid mechanics in relation to wind, project management etc).

Also, I recently asked a couple of people I know who finished a HNC in Civil Engineering in the last 2 years if their course covered the requirements of CDM?... No they didn't. They were mentioned, but not covered in any detail.

Finally, my personal opinion is that there will never be any true measure of competence of design engineers in scaffolding until there is a system similar to the training for IEng/CEng.. with core objectives, formal reporting and assessment and a professional review. Can't see it ever happening though as half the people working in the industry wouldn't meet the criteria.. (amongst other things).
B.

Like I said, it is only my opinion for what its worth - clearly some will reach the top but that is more about motivation than their qualifications. I generally find qualifications only indicate the potential to learn and is not a measure of their intelligence.

I generally only take graduates as they are quick learners having generally covered all the basics - I am not a training shop for the industry - they should join SGB for that - which I did and thank them greatly for!

Still think on the job training is essential for anyone wanting to get in to design - you can learn it from a book but you can't apply it!

Dear All,

Introduce my self, i am from Indonesia. I interest in scaffolding work mainly in design and strength calculation.Specially for tube and fitting scaffold. my education background from civil engineering.
please help me to get information the best training course for scaffolding design and where i can get or buy scaffolding software??

Welcome Deta. Clik the thanks button;)for Jason and hatter.
gotta educate hm lads:rolleyes:

who can i contact if i need help to calculate the strength of scaffolding? i use tube and fitting.

thank you.

Top Bottom