PDA

View Full Version : Travelling to job

Bob57
17th June 2011, 07:35 PM
Hi

I live in Scotland but working in England and have to pay own train fares weekly. Will I be able to get a rebate from the tax office if I submit all receipts end of March next year?

Cheers

philliosmaximus
17th June 2011, 07:53 PM
Its a legitimate expense so i dont see why not , Rosie will probably be along soon and she will know for certain mate.

aom
18th June 2011, 09:50 PM
Hi Bob, as I remember it you wouldn't be able to claim from tax man as the yard was always your place of employment. I think you can only claim from yard to job if you have to make your own way there. There was a similar debachle a few years when one accountancy firm in particular was getting the boy's a rebate for travelling to the rig yards in Inverness and many a heated discussion I had with my own accountant who refused to even try and claim the same expense. He was proved right though as when I met the boy's on the hook up they had to pay the money back. Rosie will definitely fill in the blanks better than anyone but I think you are on to plums I'm afraid.

BetterTAX
19th June 2011, 11:18 AM
Hi Bob,

I've asked Roger to clarify this point, but it being a Sunday and Father's Day, he may not a chance today.

However, I can tell you in the meanwhile, that AOM is right if the travelling you are referring to is from home to the yard that employs you (like me travelling to a permanent office address) and it's in the yard you stay and work - you can't claim tax.

However, if you are having to travel to many different sites to do your work (which I imagine you are) then that travel can be counted as an expense.

Roger will tell us more later.

philliosmaximus
19th June 2011, 11:32 AM
Rosie and her crystal ball hahahahaha

BetterTAX
19th June 2011, 01:43 PM
Hi Bob 57,
AOM is spot on (as Rosie has also clarified), if it's your place of permanent employment - then no, you cannot claim.
However if you are being sent to differing sites and you are indeed employed by the firm in a slightly different way (I'm trying to give clues here :idea:) then you can certainly claim.
Please contact us, and perhaps we can help you skin this cat Bob :)
Best regards,
rog

aom
19th June 2011, 09:47 PM
AOM is spot on

Now there's something you don't hear every day.:D

Are you reading this Paddy?:laugh: