Travelling to job (1 Viewer)

Bob57

Reaction score
Hi

I live in Scotland but working in England and have to pay own train fares weekly. Will I be able to get a rebate from the tax office if I submit all receipts end of March next year?

Cheers

Its a legitimate expense so i dont see why not , Rosie will probably be along soon and she will know for certain mate.

Hi Bob, as I remember it you wouldn't be able to claim from tax man as the yard was always your place of employment. I think you can only claim from yard to job if you have to make your own way there. There was a similar debachle a few years when one accountancy firm in particular was getting the boy's a rebate for travelling to the rig yards in Inverness and many a heated discussion I had with my own accountant who refused to even try and claim the same expense. He was proved right though as when I met the boy's on the hook up they had to pay the money back. Rosie will definitely fill in the blanks better than anyone but I think you are on to plums I'm afraid.

Hi Bob,

I've asked Roger to clarify this point, but it being a Sunday and Father's Day, he may not a chance today.

However, I can tell you in the meanwhile, that AOM is right if the travelling you are referring to is from home to the yard that employs you (like me travelling to a permanent office address) and it's in the yard you stay and work - you can't claim tax.

However, if you are having to travel to many different sites to do your work (which I imagine you are) then that travel can be counted as an expense.

Roger will tell us more later.

Hi Bob 57,
AOM is spot on (as Rosie has also clarified), if it's your place of permanent employment - then no, you cannot claim.
However if you are being sent to differing sites and you are indeed employed by the firm in a slightly different way (I'm trying to give clues here :idea:) then you can certainly claim.
Please contact us, and perhaps we can help you skin this cat Bob :)
Best regards,
rog

AOM is spot on

Now there's something you don't hear every day.:D

Are you reading this Paddy?:laugh:

Top Bottom