NASC Guildance / Working at Height (1 Viewer)

andyf8686

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there company was involved in the testing of the

Advanced guard rail systems ?

Scaff Step ?

Or any other changes to the scaffold working at height regulations or have these change just been brought into place without testing there effectiveness without communication with the industries final user ????

Andy,

All AGR and Scaffstep products are developed by companys like Combisafe and Hire and Sale companies, they all come with a full set of manufactureres instructions and test data. So not only have they been tested but they are proven to work unless you buy some cheap stuff with no paperwork. Under the Health and Safety at work act and PUWER equipment must do what it says on the tin.

The first scaffstep was developed by Lyndon and used regular in their scaffolding departments for many years then it developed into the one with the steps. All the AGR's are from manufacturers as in Layher/Turner access to name 2 and are all tested and originally given to scaffold companies to test to destruction to make them better.

The NASC would not endorse a product in any of their notes if you read the guidance, it offers solutions.

Thank you simian for that information, I am not trying to catch anyone out here I am simply asking did the lads using these systems / test them have any feed back into implementing these systems ?
I for one have never had anything from the NASC asking would I be willing to test any new systems nor have I heard of any training centres testing new systems, I might be wrong but as you know if something new is at the training centres the lads are quick to put the word about.
Going back to the NASC/CITB and the guidance they are giving the problem I feel is anything new has a cost and if the working scaffolder wants to buy it he has to pay more than a member (company membership I am talking about) are we not all member as scaffolder?????

I understand Simian is part of the NASC members but you have been on this for long enough to see where we are coming from ???

Thank you simian for that information, I am not trying to catch anyone out here I am simply asking did the lads using these systems / test them have any feed back into implementing these systems ?
I for one have never had anything from the NASC asking would I be willing to test any new systems nor have I heard of any training centres testing new systems, I might be wrong but as you know if something new is at the training centres the lads are quick to put the word about.
Going back to the NASC/CITB and the guidance they are giving the problem I feel is anything new has a cost and if the working scaffolder wants to buy it he has to pay more than a member (company membership I am talking about) are we not all member as scaffolder?????

I understand Simian is part of the NASC members but you have been on this for long enough to see where we are coming from ???

One thing Andy, if you work for one of the NASC member companies or a leading UK scaffolding company then they may ask your company to trial things, it wont be the NASC asking it will be the manufacturer first. If you own one of these companies or a training centre you would have been approached.

My training centres has tested the layher guardrail, the B SAFE product, scaffsteps with and without ladders plus some with half ladders. We have had the turner beta guard system on alloy towers, double barracudas the lot. Once this first came out manufacturers came to the centres to give them to us so they could be used daily to test their durability for their own data.

NASC guidance costs money to produce TG20:08 cost £130k, so it is sold to recuperate the costs, if it sells more and makes a profit for them it goes to paying for more engineers to collate the next guidance. SG4 is the best seller especially the little book.

CITB dont do guidance any more or if they do i have not seen any.

Top Bottom