Double arms

this is also the case in dover and folkestone , nutha sgb patch where bones are popular

know what you mean paul all the system stuff is pretty good and fast but when it comes to versatility, storage and transport on yer 3 tonner you just can,t beat tube and fittings long live the old nut and bolt guys.
lapta

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

hey millwall are you a bermondsey bod lived in surrey docks for a few years done the rounds red lion,hadleyto name a few
lapta

i need to find something on paper where it says you dont need to brace double arms. it will settle a few arguments

dont think no one will commit to that , tried to get it before drew a blank

The official line is that you do need to brace, originally it was regarded as not necessary but full testing is not available so safety guys take the line that until it is then bracing is required.

hence why got rid of them 3 years ago after similar aggro

The official line is that you do need to brace, originally it was regarded as not necessary but full testing is not available so safety guys take the line that until it is then bracing is required.
As they were origionaly designed to eliminate the need for ledger bracing in normal access scaffolding providing the tie patterns were adhered to, it seems strange that they wont stick their neck out when you consider that system scaffold used for the same purpose does not require ledger bracing.

Hello, having used most type's of scaffolding systems (haki layer etc.) I have never used double arms. I just wondered if there is a sysem of baseing out with them as I dont want to look a complete numpty on my first day if they use them. I know the procedure from the base upwards it's just I have never actually based out with them.

If there is a website or anything just to give me a heads up it would be much appreciated. Geez 10 years on the spanner I actually feel a bit of a dipstick lol.

Cheers
what ever you do ******** dont ask your kid .

nice and heavy when weighing in . we cant think for ourselves so need a drawing . now we cant measure for our selves so need double arms . send the lot back cut 4 inch out the middle and weld them back together then maybe i ll stop breaking them for a laugh

Ready Lock- Double Arms- Bones Whatever you want to call them - been using them for years when I was on the tools and off, best bit of kit out there when you have a large T&F stock and dont want to invest in a system but want to increase your productivity.

Personally I used to base out my first bay use upside down ready lock with 8 ft ledger on the inside at ground level and then put a long un at 1st lift height to the inside and a 13 to the out to get your stagger (If on a long run of course). Then you just carry on at your first lift height with ready lock at your desired centres.

When it comes to returns a lot of lads drop the corner standard on a double, that closes the toeboard gap and makes the standard out of line with the ones in ready lock so you have a bend in the handrail which I personally used to find untidy, I used to put a ready lock on the corner to pick up the standard and ledgers (Single or pair of legs, your choice) maintaining the gap etc.

P.S. As a rule we have never put in ledger bracing when using them unless its a design job.

not even the base out?
Or would you tie the 1st lift instead? then every other as you would with tube and fitting?

i think there sound if there looked after serviced and not bent if no braces i would tie at 1st lift defo

i think there sound if there looked after serviced and not bent if no braces i would tie at 1st lift defo

I have seen some scaffolds braced just base lift inwards as normal, then nothing from there up.
And other scaffolds with none at all, I suppose in cases like this where its pedestrianised (high st) and needs to stay clear for shops etc it has to be done this way, but def tied as you would if using t+f. (plan bracing maybe)

I have never braced a scaffold using the bones (double arms)
As said they were made to give clear access to lifts.
All this transferrring load weight by dog leg braces is rubbish in my eyes
Most scaffolds are braced in bottom lift then out all the way up so hows that transferring the weight? if anything its all being pushed down to the inside legs!

The 30m rule for them with no bracing sounds about right.
Anything higher requires double standards anyway doesn't it?
And thats bad enough with t+f let alone using the bones that close to each other.
I allways find the ledger side of the double arms seized more than not and personally prefer the old skool t+f :D

the measurement for double-enders includes a gap for both your toeboards to sit inside the boards on both sides

Bones, dog bones etc are Readylok transoms with pre fixed 90 deg fittings to both ends. They were designed to create a rightangle at both connections at a given fixd dimension.
As a result of the end stiffness created by the deep plate connection it was considered that scaffolds would not require ledger bracing.

BEWARE, there is no know "suitable" testing carried out for this product in relationsip to it's need for bracing. I believe Gen have tested their version but I also feel the test is inadequate for the purpose.

SGB have has these for in excess of 30 years and have yet to get around to testing them.
With all the above said, the requirement for SGB Engineers since at least 1974 is and has always been as follows.

With an adequatley tied scaffold (ever other lift, every other line) Heights of up to 30m may be attained unbraced ON AN UNSHEETED SCAFFOLD.
For heights above 30m say 40m the bottom 10m would be braced and the top 30m unbraced.
Bracing WAS ALWAYS REQUIRED for netted or sheeted scaffolds, should you ask the Chief Engineer of SGB now (a well respected Graham Maddocks) I think he will advise that if sheeting is to be applied then "due consideration" must be given to bracing the structure.

A bit open ended but you need to read between the lines here remember he is still employed by the supplier.

thanks for very quick reply. how much each and where are they. are they uk made not chinese please. thanks

Top Bottom