Safelinx Board Retainer - Simple, Quick, Safe... Across the Board (1 Viewer)

f&d

Is your Product used extensively within our Industry ?---have you had exhaustive Field Testing ?...

I'd be interested in their load bearing capacity - I guess the zip ties would snap before that was reached though
Anyone know the tensile strength of the zip ties? :laugh:

Thats quite intresting, I have used cable ties on a number of occasions and found them to be amazingly handy...For Example:

When I worked for SGB we were doing a English Heritage job on the Norfolk Coast which involved a Huge Temp Roof with sheeting fixed to tube purlins and said purlins fixed to pairs of unit beams using band & plate the only problem was due to the topography Design (The Design legend himself...Mr Ray Kellard) were struggling to prove B&P alone had the load value, now we all were waiting for a huge revision to the scheme that we thought would have involved millions of additional fittings and untold metre's of tube (Usually what happens in these situations!!) But no....to our relief we were instructed to fix a 12mm cable tie around the fittings that held the purlins and zip up under the top chord of the beam....it was as simple as that!! (OK getting back to the fittings that had been roofed over was a pain but it was better than ripping the roof off to start again)

Cable Ties....The Scaffolders Friend!!

Sorry for hijacking the thread...my bad:embarrest:

Last edited:
I am gonna have to investigate zip ties more thoroughly, having never specified them once in 12 years - simple solutions are the best after all :D

I also apologise for the hijack! :laugh:

f&d

Is your Product used extensively within our Industry ?---have you had exhaustive Field Testing ?...

This is a very new product and as such we have not been able to do extensive field trials. A few scaffolders have tried it and been very happy with how it performs and we intend to gather as much feedback as possible as it gets used on jobs.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

Thats quite intresting, I have used cable ties on a number of occasions and found them to be amazingly handy...For Example:

When I worked for SGB we were doing a English Heritage job on the Norfolk Coast which involved a Huge Temp Roof with sheeting fixed to tube purlins and said purlins fixed to pairs of unit beams using band & plate the only problem was due to the topography Design (The Design legend himself...Mr Ray Kellard) were struggling to prove B&P alone had the load value, now we all were waiting for a huge revision to the scheme that we thought would have involved millions of additional fittings and untold metre's of tube (Usually what happens in these situations!!) But no....to our relief we were instructed to fix a 12mm cable tie around the fittings that held the purlins and zip up under the top chord of the beam....it was as simple as that!! (OK getting back to the fittings that had been roofed over was a pain but it was better than ripping the roof off to start again)

Cable Ties....The Scaffolders Friend!!

Sorry for hijacking the thread...my bad:embarrest:

Thanks for that, just shows how useful they are, and if hijacking brings comments like that then keep on doing it!!!. For our product it is by far the quickest and simplest way to secure the units to the scaffold and therefore secure the boards.

Looks like a very handy product especially where your building an internal birdcage scaffold thats gonna be up for a while, we've all seen how much boards can warp on these causing trip hazards all over the place. Also a slightly proud board can cause the extra hazard of becoming a trap if kicked a few times so that it moves off its last transom.

Never mentioned cable ties once

DAMN

Looks like a very handy product especially where your building an internal birdcage scaffold thats gonna be up for a while, we've all seen how much boards can warp on these causing trip hazards all over the place. Also a slightly proud board can cause the extra hazard of becoming a trap if kicked a few times so that it moves off its last transom.

Never mentioned cable ties once

DAMN

These are exactly the sort of scenarios where we see this product being really effective, where theres lots of boards in use that would benefit from being fastened down.

Just found out that you can embed You Tube vids... here goes

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohjolfnl0mU"]Safelinx in action[/ame]

Looks good, but still no mention of cost. That will make or break it.

what is product cost

Looks good, but still no mention of cost. That will make or break it.

The cost does depend on how many are ordered, but the standard cost for a reasonable quantity would be £4.50 per unit for a 5 board gauge (1.1m). Small orders will cost more than this and there will be discounts for large orders. This excludes VAT and delivery.

We can also produce them to pretty much any length required (the costs will vary according to the length).

This price is aimed squarely at competing with the board clips that are on the market, with one Safelinx unit (after the first fleet is installed where two units are needed) doing the job of between 3 and 8 clamps (manufacturers spec 8 with a clamp at each end and in between every board). The real saving is in the time of install, where a fleet of boards can be secured in around 20 seconds, this is less time than it takes to fit a single board clamp and significantly less time than it takes to lash a fleet.

Last edited:
i really like the look of the product how durable are they, Zip ties are our verry strong and our best friend also would you be able to make it suit inside boards this would prevent them being removed by other trades reducing safety officers on our backs reinstating boards and other trades makeing benches out of them!

Thanks for the feedback. The product is made from the same material that recycle boxes and wheelie bins are made of. They are out in all weathers, with all sorts of household chemicals and materials put in them, and the collectors are not exactly gentle with them, and Safelinx benefits from the same durability.

To answer your question on securing the inside boards, we have it in mind that longer lengths, for example a 7 board width (1575mm), where the extra length would allow it to fasten down 5 + 2 inside boards. The only issue with this would be where the ends of the boards are in-line with the standards but there are ways that this can be overcome.

I must be a salesman dream but I think these could be really useful. We had to lash around 1500 boards before we knocked of for crimbo and I reckon we would have ripped your hand of.

I must be a salesman dream but I think these could be really useful. We had to lash around 1500 boards before we knocked of for crimbo and I reckon we would have ripped your hand of.

1500 boards, thats a fair amount, we could definately have helped you out there. Next time you get a job like that then get in touch.

Yeah definately. I hate haveing diferent systems to do the same job e.g wire lashings, board clamps and limpets, think I've even got a few of those spring loaded feckin things that could take your eye out, but I must admit that looks the business.

Yeah definately. I hate haveing diferent systems to do the same job e.g wire lashings, board clamps and limpets, think I've even got a few of those spring loaded feckin things that could take your eye out, but I must admit that looks the business.

Those spring loaded things sound painful. Safelinx is definately an much quicker and simpler to fit than wire lashing, board clips and limpets.

Here are a couple of pictures of the types of problems that Safelinx would solve, the first two pictures show boards that have moved due to wind uplift, the third picture shows boards that have moved due to general foot traffic (these are even secured with board clips).

Displaced Board1.jpg

Displaced Board2.jpg

Displaced Board3.jpg

We have had some photos back from a job where Safelinx units have been used. The lads who fit them really liked them, found them very easy to use.

As you will see from the photos the units had to sail out onto the inside boards, to secure at the inside board end they cable tied to the transom rather than the ledger.

What do you think???

Attachments

• RIMG1420.jpg
    RIMG1420.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 72
  • RIMG1421.jpg
    RIMG1421.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 67
  • RIMG1422.jpg
    RIMG1422.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 62
  • RIMG1423.jpg
    RIMG1423.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 64
Hi flynnanddawson

Looks a good bit of kit but how easy is it when it comes to adaptations etc. say if you needed to get a set of boards out of the centre of a run.

Also those scaffs are experiencing the constant problem of dirty bas***d brickies not cleaning up and sweeping the boards. Leaving the poor scaff raising the boards to get covered in sh*te that was nothing to do with him!!

FU**ING BRICKIES!!!

Last edited:
Hi flynnanddawson

Looks a good bit of kit but how easy is it when it comes to adaptations etc. say if you needed to get a set of boards out of the centre of a run.

Also those scaffs are experiencing the constant problem of dirty bas***d brickies not cleaning up and sweeping the boards. Leaving the poor scaff raising the boards to get covered in sh*te that was nothing to do with him!!

FU**ING BRICKIES!!!

They are very quick and easy to get out from the middle of a run, just cut the cable ties and slide out, adapt and then reinstall and resecure with cable ties.

Cant do anything about the brickies though... :laugh:

Safelinx

flynnanddawson,

I have had a look at the thread and yes it looks like a very good piece of kit but I have a few questions if I may.

1, does the safelinx come in different sizes in length.
2, can it be used on a flush finished board level on birdcage scaffolds say 20 boards wide.
3, what is the safety factor on wind speed for the uplift as there does not appear to be no support ties to the centre of the boards which we will still need to tied down for the risk of the board may bow in the middle and uplift in strong winds we have to design the scaffolds on the bridges to withstand a wind speed of 120mph.

But still a very handy piece of kit for straight independents.

Top Bottom